The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought of something sort of unusual today, when I was washing my car I thought "how come no one that worked for Lotus when they made the Esprit ever chimes in on any forum or anywhere" With some of the threads I've seen on "did these cars roll off the line as pieces of crap" I would of thought someone that worked for Lotus has to still be alive somewhere, and curious if anyone still drives these cars they made. Somewhere there is someone that took pride in their work. I thought of this because I realized today my car was only made 26 years ago, although I feel at times when we talk about them on the forum that they were made in the 1940's.

An example of this is every other collector, and some not collector car I've owned that I joined a forum for, there is someone that chimes in with "I used to work for Pontiac" or "I painted cars for Ford" or whatever.

You never see anyone say "I worked for Lotus in the 80's" of course maybe they are scared of us LOL.

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
There couldn't have been many, they probably were older even then, and they probably think most of us are daft.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Most companies only allow authorised spokespersons say anything online. Liability and all that...

When I went to Lotus a few years ago to take a tour and drive an Evora on track, I was sent a pm by Brian Angus "Mr Esprit" who recently retired. He asked me to let him know when I got to Norfolk, and he came out to buy me a beer and ended up staying for dinner with the group.

He worked for Lotus for 30+ years I think. Many of us on the lotus forums copied in and bought him a retirement present of an Esprit sculpture.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
The only ones that have been on any forum has been Arnie and Kimbers. They were as far removed from the production line as could be.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You've also got to keep in mind how small of a company lotus is and how few employees. Im sure most are still working there or have moved on. It's funny how you mention if these cars were piles when the rolled off the assembly line, Everytime I look over mine I think to myself damn who ever made that part or did that body work etc Did a great job. For how low production and hand made as these cars are they have a damn good fit and finish. Atleast my 02' does ;)

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,083 Posts
The only ones that have been on any forum has been Arnie and Kimberly.
When Esprits were still in production, folks from Lotus Cars USA would lurk on the TurboEsprit list.

There were also Lotus employees who would contribute to the original Lotus-Cars mail list.

In each case, they wouldn't post directly, but if you gave incomplete advice they would tell you so you could post the additional info.

++++++++++++

Richard Parramint, who will arraigns tours for visitors to the factory at Hethel, used to work for Lotus in the 1970s. He has some great stories...worth it to attend a Lotus Owners Gathering (LOG) to hear him speak.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
When my wife and I toured the factory in the late 1990's there were 2 or 3 people building the Exprit. I saw an older man pulling a iron wheel cart with an Esprit body to the assembly lift!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Actually, The old Lotus Buzz forum had MJK himself, Bob Dance, and Brian Angus was a very frequent poster.

I communicate with Brian and Bob several time a year myself as they frequent Regogo Racing projects. Great friends in that little outfit.

Arnie also contributed a great deal on Lotus Buzz as did Jack Ansley and sometimes Doc Bundy.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never thought these cars were "pieces of crap" I have just seen a few threads started with that almost exact title. I actually do not mind the wrench turning and knuckle busting it takes to own and maintain one, if it did not require it, I would of moved on to something else by now more than likely. Im sure any exotic car from this era that has an internet forum has the same exact kinda threads from owners that DIY.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Actually, The old Lotus Buzz forum had MJK himself, Bob Dance, and Brian Angus was a very frequent poster.

I communicate with Brian and Bob several time a year myself as they frequent Regogo Racing projects. Great friends in that little outfit.

Arnie also contributed a great deal on Lotus Buzz as did Jack Ansley and sometimes Doc Bundy.
I miss that little forum it contained such a wealth of Lotus information and trivia, I'm sorry I couldn't manage to keep it operating .

A while ago I forwarded a thread that was on Lotus Talk about Lotus V8 crankshafts to Brian Angus (whilst he was still head of ASO at the Lotus Factory)

He was very helpful (as always) taking time from his busy day to forward some photos and information specs on V8 production crankshafts to me which I duly posted up on here, but as is dissapointingly common on these forums a self proclaimed "expert" chose to disrepute his info, which I found to be both annoying and somewhat embarrassing.

I guess that is one of the reasons why factory engineers and staff are so reluctant to publically post on these forums, there would always be some individual who would pop up and want to prove something at their expense.

Wayne

·
Registered
175 Posts
Did what you could Wayne.

On that note, I never really thought of the issues that can be created by the "experts". I guess I just avoid them? LOL

My car has a bit of an unusual marking in the fact that the motor is marked 916. Brian Angus once directly answered my question of this and... like you said... some "expert" wanted to argue with him...

But that was the first and last time I noticed this sort of thing.
Arnie actually dug up a copy of my original window sticker from a Miami area dealer and sent t to me...

Cameron

·
Registered
175 Posts
so... what did the 916 number mean? :)
According to Brian Angus and Later supported by Bob Dance, there were internal design changes to the motors for 88'. Forged pistons, chrome molly rings, some things that we have seen here on this forum regarding the fuel management system... this is all well and known today.

Anyway, back then (87'-88') the motors were not "officially" changed and thus the numbering became an internal number within the 910 series engines. This was done to avoid having to submit to all the Federal crap that would have been required testing wise... and that really means "destroy the car for testing".

The motors were marked 916 so that they could easily be identified as different from the 910 and non turbo car motor parts (from 87') still on the shelf for building.

In short, the motors were billed as 910 and as the same everything as the 87'. Some of the literature and books even indicate this with statements like "essentially the same as the 87' model with a redesigned body from Peter Stevens"... however, a look through the service manual would show a difference. Luckily, the powers that be did not look to close! LOL.

Cameron

·
Registered
175 Posts
Reminds me of a story Jack Ansley shared regarding the X180R IMSA cars. During testing the team would make a change, Doc would drive the car and report the change results, and then the team would make corrections.

The rules required that the cars, upon tech inspection, match what appeared in the service manuals and parts manual as the cars were required to be "production" and not modified.

When the changes were done, Jack would fax over the changes to Lotus and Bob Dance would have a manual page made up, correctly numbered, and overnight it to Jack. The team would then replace the page in the manual...

Then, since the teams were required to supply a "production manual", Arnie would take that manual to the race officials for tech review.

Racing when it was totally awesome! :bow:

Cameron

·
Registered
153 Posts
Reminds me of a story Jack Ansley shared regarding the X180R IMSA cars. During testing the team would make a change, Doc would drive the car and report the change results, and then the team would make corrections.

The rules required that the cars, upon tech inspection, match what appeared in the service manuals and parts manual as the cars were required to be "production" and not modified.

When the changes were done, Jack would fax over the changes to Lotus and Bob Dance would have a manual page made up, correctly numbered, and overnight it to Jack. The team would then replace the page in the manual...

Then, since the teams were required to supply a "production manual", Arnie would take that manual to the race officials for tech review.

Racing when it was totally awesome! :bow:

Cameron
Hahaha... It doesn't surprise me at all! LOL. Racing has always been that way. Doing almost whatever it takes to stay on top of the competition! :clap:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Autocross7,
916?
Wow,

What is your car last 5 digits and date of build?

Mine is 12/87 and has "910" in the number on the engine.

The motor is still a "910" by the VIN. Really, it is still a "910". The "916" was totally an internal thing to the assembly apparently. But to the question... the car is designated an 88'. Sequence number is 2202. According to the paper work from the original owner, the car was purchased in May of 1988.

There are a few a motors with this "916" etched on them according to Brian Angus. I do not have any reasons to think it is special. It was just a way to avoid Federal BS!

Cameron

·
Registered
327 Posts
On the Buell forum, BadWeatherbikers, Buell employees(the elves as we called them) could post as anonymous. At the end of the post screen, there was a ''post anonymous'' check box. They'd click that, provide a valid reason, and the admins would approve it.

·
Integrator
2,859 Posts
The motor is still a "910" by the VIN. Really, it is still a "910". The "916" was totally an internal thing to the assembly apparently. But to the question... the car is designated an 88'. Sequence number is 2202. According to the paper work from the original owner, the car was purchased in May of 1988.

There are a few a motors with this "916" etched on them according to Brian Angus. I do not have any reasons to think it is special. It was just a way to avoid Federal BS!

Cameron
Mine precedes your's by about 120. Where to look for the etching?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts