The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't wait... ordered a few weeks ago and waiting for an installation date :D:coolnana:

As far as I know, this is the last batch they'll make. Who else is waiting? I was told I am the only one that is local to FF and is planning to have it installed and tuned by them.

What else are you getting while you're at it? I am just going to get their engine damper and was planning to get a Zeitronix unit installed.

Cheers!:wave:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
For $15k, don't you think it's better to swap the whole engine using that Ecotec GM engine? I believe that one costs $19k. And you can sell your 2ZZ engine and it will come out about even....

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Don't get the GM engine. Sorry but the last time GM made a good 4 cylinder engine was...was...was...ok, they never made a good 4 cylinder engine.

Is this FF275 kit for the Elise? I'm making 275 bhp with the FF "PowerPak" for my Exige S. Good stuff but GET A CLUTCH along with the Kit, you'll need it!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't get the GM engine. Sorry but the last time GM made a good 4 cylinder engine was...was...was...ok, they never made a good 4 cylinder engine.

Is this FF275 kit for the Elise? I'm making 275 bhp with the FF "PowerPak" for my Exige S. Good stuff but GET A CLUTCH along with the Kit, you'll need it!
I trust FF a lot more than that company, they are local, and I get to keep my 6-speed transmission to boot ;)

It's the kit for the Elise, yes. I was wondering about the clutch... I have 22k miles on the car now and was debating if I should just drive the current clutch until it fails or maybe save some labor cost and have the clutch done while they have everything off anyway. When I talked to them last time, they said a clutch is not really necessary if you don't abuse it and for street driving (which I mostly do). :shrug:

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Get a clutch! Trust me. Even on simple acceleration the stock clutch was slipping.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
saw your elise at rob's yesterday.... looked cleaner than normal -poke-
Rob must have wiped it down with a dirty rag :p

Got a lot of things done to the car this time - HIDs, Shifter reinforcement (Stan and Sector 111), R888 tires, stealth bulbs. Still need a new throttle cable and a new battery. The lights and shifter reinforcements make a HUGE difference. I would recommend it to EVERYBODY!! :clap:

I asked Rob about the clutch issue and he said it should be fine for now. Will talk to FF about the cost if I do the clutch now vs. later. :shrug: Rob says a clutch job is about 7 hours.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I have HIDs but they are aimed stock...

I need new tires soon (maybe before the next auto-x in 3 weeks?) and am debating between r888s and a048s. let me know what you think of them (how much less grip?)

I was going to try to do stan's mod to my shifter, as I never got around to doing it. I wasn't going to do s111 shifter mod because of the drilling

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have HIDs but they are aimed stock...

I need new tires soon (maybe before the next auto-x in 3 weeks?) and am debating between r888s and a048s. let me know what you think of them (how much less grip?)

I was going to try to do stan's mod to my shifter, as I never got around to doing it. I wasn't going to do s111 shifter mod because of the drilling
I would recommend getting the R888s - comes out to about $250 less for a set of 4 and I did not notice any difference in grip (during street driving). However, it's been a while since I've driven on new A048s, of course. The 888s should also last longer (and not heat cycle out as badly).

Rob just got a new epoxy sealant for the reinforcement plate at the bottom for the S111 shifter mod and it looks almost like factory. Amazing difference to the stock shifter - the console is rock-solid now. :nanner:

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
The boost will vary based on your car -- I have the FF air intake also. You'll see somewhere between 9-10 psi. Stock is 7.3 - 7.6 and again varies from car to car.

I'm still waiting for Casey to get that header done -- it's the one that will be plug and play into the existing Cat. Hope he can get it done before my August event (would be nice to get another 10-15 whp and still be relatively green).

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
I'm still waiting for Casey to get that header done -- it's the one that will be plug and play into the existing Cat. Hope he can get it done before my August event (would be nice to get another 10-15 whp and still be relatively green).
Doesn't the Exige S use the same headers as all the other non-boosted Lotus vehicles?

If so, you can purchase the DC sports header (inconsistent gains, not worth it), the TRD header from KINWAY MOTORSPORTS - TRD Performance Parts and Accessories for Sport Motors, the Trial header from KINWAY MOTORSPORTS - TRD Performance Parts and Accessories for Sport Motors (TRD and Trial require tuning to make use of larger primaries), or the Weapon R shorty header for your Exige S (which is the cheapest, and has the best and most consistent dyno proven gains outside of Boosted2.0's stock header porting service).

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
But ForcedFed's Exige S to Cat header is a work of art, like the Lotus. Yes, I can get the race header right now if I wanted to, but I want a unit that fits perfect to the existing Cat -- there is a little green in me.

You only need to go touch, smell, taste and feel the header to know what I mean. It's like looking at a hand crafted F1 header (which BTW, F1 headers are still hand crafted the old fashion way).

I can wait...

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
But ForcedFed's Exige S to Cat header is a work of art, like the Lotus. Yes, I can get the race header right now if I wanted to, but I want a unit that fits perfect to the existing Cat -- there is a little green in me.
Err...all the headers I mentioned are shorty headers that should bolt up to the stock cat...

DC Sports Header (Inconsistent Gains = Crap):

TRD ($800 JDM "coolness" that's only good when tuned):

Trial ($1,175 JDM "coolness" that's also only good when tuned):

Weapon R (Best consistent dyno proven gains on the stock ECU, no tuning required):

Note how the runner layout for the Weapon R is different than the rest of those previous headers. Forcedfed is basically just going to be doing a beefier version of the Weapon R using that runner layout and larger primaries, along with a 4-1 shorty header collector instead of a 4-2-1 looking header collector that the Weapon R uses. Take a look yourself:

All you're doing is waiting for a shorty header that has a 4-1 collector design, larger primaries, and (from what it looks like) better tuned primaries to keep a stock'esque top end...which will still pale in comparison to a properly tuned PPE race header setup + PPE midpipe with the high flow cat that will still allow you to stay green and go faster than if you had a shorty header setup. Did I mention the Weapon R header is the cheapest at $273.90 shipped on a website I found (and can't seem to post without getting in trouble)??? Is the forcedfed's still really worth the wait after no updates and the extra price tag?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Err...all the headers I mentioned are shorty headers that should bolt up to the stock cat...
You dont even know if it will work on a Lotus, why dont you get a Lotus, install this and see if it works and then provide a dyno from before and after on a LOTUS before you start making posts about it...

Did I mention the Weapon R header is the cheapest at $273.90 shipped on a website I found
Yes you mentioned it and it was removed...didnt take the hint the first time?

Is the forcedfed's still really worth the wait after no updates and the extra price tag?
1. Forcedfed is a supporting vendor.
2. They do lots of things for the Lotus community.
3. They test out their products on Lotus cars.
4. They know what they are doing when it comes to these cars. (where as you dont even know if the header in question will fit..)

So im sure most people will say yes that it is worth it...and I dont think you should be making negative comments about a company that makes parts for a car you dont even own.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts