The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here has a dashcam on their Lotus? (Or other car)

I figured I'd rather have one and not need it, than need it and not have it. Plus I can use it to record Lotus-Runs etc. Any particular make/model I should get? I'd prefer at least 720 HD and a decent storage capacity if it doesn't use a memory card.

Post what you have! Also, pictures of mounting locations are appreciated

·
Registered
505 Posts
Who here has a dashcam on their Lotus? (Or other car)

I figured I'd rather have one and not need it, than need it and not have it. Plus I can use it to record Lotus-Runs etc. Any particular make/model I should get? I'd prefer at least 720 HD and a decent storage capacity if it doesn't use a memory card.

Post what you have! Also, pictures of mounting locations are appreciated
i have a BlackVue DR550GW,brilliant little toy
i think youll find a thread on here if you type in "blackvue" that will show installation pix :)
http://www.blackvue.co.uk/index.php/online-shop/blackvue-products/new-blackvue-dr550gw-hd-with-wi-fi-14-detail

·
Registered
220 Posts
BlackVue is a great option, I went cheap $60 for the x4000 off ebay , records front and rear and with a Tf card holds a couple months of video. yes you get what you pay for but the picture is fine and works for what i bought it for, if i'm in an accident and it's not my fault I have video if it's my fault I don't have dash cam :) also helps to watch what the dealer does during service and what they do roadability tests. if i need video for other reasons I just use a Gopro.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I have a G1Wc, which was $65. For the money, the camera itself is great, but there's no way to permanently attach it. I have it suction cupped to the windshield whenever I go on drives.

Dash Cam Talk for dashcam reviews

And here's a sample

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have a BlackVue 550GW in my daily driver and a Tiesfong B40 for the Lotus or whatever else I'm driving.

The BlackVue is a great camera, but I wouldn't pay retail for it. The GPS and WiFi are nice but not worth 2x+ the price of other cameras IMO. It's also a bit slower to start, because the camera has to boot Linux and a bunch of services (web server, GPS, and so on) to get going. There's a Russian BlackVue modding community, and since it runs Linux, there's all sorts of cool stuff you can do with it. But who wants to have to fiddle with their dashcam?

The Tiesfong B40 is awesome so far. It's much smaller and doesn't have chrome accents like the BlackVue, so it's more discreet. It boots up and starts recording quickly, and the video is of a similar quality (1080p @ 15Mbit). Night-time video quality might be a bit worse, but I can't really tell too much. Fewer features and the built-in display means it's easier to use. For the price, you can buy two and stick one to the rear window, too.

I forgot to mention one advantage that might be substantial for people who park outside: the BlackVue 550-series cameras have a big capacitor instead of a LiPo battery in them. Capacitors are much more resistant to heat than LiPos and so the BlackVue will probably work better (and more safely) when left in the heat for extended periods of time. My Lotus pretty much lives inside so the Tiesfong's LiPo is just fine for that use.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,988 Posts
I have a cheap one from ebay in my other car, I think it was around $35 or so. I like it, caught some crazy stuff on it. Video isn't amazing quality, but it works just fine. Had a cop think it was a radar detector one day when he pulled me over for speeding. He said "Why didn't you have your radar on?" and pointed at the dash cam. I told him what it was and he was curious about it and why I had it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have a Lukas LK-7900 and battery backup. Have no complaints. The only cons I can think of would be slightly finicky software due to it being a Korean company. But the hardware and functionality so far have been perfect. Very compact/unassuming, and excellent video quality.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Another option is to get a iOttie Mount if you have an iPad Mini:

Insanely adjustable and holds great.

If you have an cellular enabled iPad, you can use it for camera recording, Dashcam for gauges (with obd bluetooth pod), navigation, music streaming, etc). Storage would be an issue, but for drives and casual stuff, kinda cool. Here's a pic with the mount in my car (looking down through windshield):

Attachments

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Can't wait for the 'new days of tech' when cars will have a rearview mirror thing that displays video back up camera (saw that Nissan is previewing this) and has a dash cam mounted in the front of the rear view. All built in and OEM looking.

instead we get cars that have Nav/Entertainment systems as a $3,500 option. And they've been $3,500 options for 10 years!

·
Registered
144 Posts
What's a good dash cam that I can wire into my ciggarete lighter and mount on a harness bar? I want something that will run 24/7 and start recording over the old footage without me having to erase

·
Registered
945 Posts
What's a good dash cam that I can wire into my ciggarete lighter and mount on a harness bar? I want something that will run 24/7 and start recording over the old footage without me having to erase
If you really, really do want to run the camera 24/7 I'd get something like a BlackVue, Panorama, or Lukas that can go into "parking mode" when you stop driving - a mode where it only records motion or shock events.

I don't know about the others but the BlackVue can be set up to either start recording over the oldest footage or to maintain a certain amount of footage of each type (driving v. parking v. "Event").

Without motion detection / "parking mode" you would need a huge capacity to record continuously and still be able to go back many hours (say to the beginning of the night) in the event of damage, plus your SD cards will wear out quickly.

If your car normally has secure parking I'd get two cheaper cameras like Tiesfong B40 or G1Ws, one to face forwards and one to face back. Then just get a switch, leave them on when you're out and about, and turn them off when you're parked securely.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Can't wait for the 'new days of tech' when cars will have a rearview mirror thing that displays video back up camera (saw that Nissan is previewing this) and has a dash cam mounted in the front of the rear view. All built in and OEM looking.

instead we get cars that have Nav/Entertainment systems as a $3,500 option. And they've been $3,500 options for 10 years!
The 2015 Corvettes now have a track data option that includes a 720p camera at the base of the rear view mirror that you can use to record exterior video and interior audio at will.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
The 2015 Corvettes now have a track data option that includes a 720p camera at the base of the rear view mirror that you can use to record exterior video and interior audio at will.

Yeah and Head Up Display. And launch control and rev match.

The new C7s really are a great piece of kit. My bro in law (who knows nothing about cars) is looking at one. He owns a company that sells to the American manufacturers and has a TT, so he has to get an American sports car for image. I told him the new C7 is the way to go (because I want to drive it a lot)!

Unfortunate though - most of the C7s will be purchased as automatics and never get above 40 mph. :)

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Yeah and Head Up Display. And launch control and rev match.

The new C7s really are a great piece of kit. My bro in law (who knows nothing about cars) is looking at one. He owns a company that sells to the American manufacturers and has a TT, so he has to get an American sports car for image. I told him the new C7 is the way to go (because I want to drive it a lot)!

Unfortunate though - most of the C7s will be purchased as automatics and never get above 40 mph. :)
That's just fine with me. It means we'll be able to pick up a basically brand new car for half price in a few years :D

·
Registered
957 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
For the blackvue 550 do you need to get the power pro with it in order for it to have constant power?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts