The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to know if there were others out there that have waited as long as I have waited. I started waiting in line in January of 2003 so it will be two years in a few more weeks. I am #9 on the list at Dimmitt in Clearwater, FL. I don't fault the dealership since they did everything right but Lotus can kiss off any future cars bought by me. My youngest son has more business sense than Lotus. Great car but hideous corporation. Has anyone else out there been waiting two years? My supposed car (that may have a new model before it gets here) is a magnetic blue/biscuit with hard top, touring, and LSS (fully loaded). Don't you think two years is rediculous? I know everyone says it is worth the wait but we should be treated much, much differently. By the way, my $5000 deposit has been held all this time and now I even have to pay the extra MSRP. Bitter, yes. Seriously though, I would like to get an idea of the wait time and see if I am the winner (or loser, actually) in this contest.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
While you have me beaten by a few months, I share your frustration. I'm sure many will agree that this stage (the wait-in-the-dark phase) is awful. My obsession with a potential MSRP increase hasn't helped (see other thread).

One way of putting a nice face on the situation: I was told by my dealer that there has been a three year wait for Ferrari 360's. Another way might be the standard "it'll all be worth it once you get your car".

Hang in there -- yours can't be far off.

·
Registered
538 Posts
April 2002. Car due any day (arrived in port 10/30) ... over 2.5 years on the list.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
My sig says it all...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
You guys got nothing on Randy, Chris, and a few others. I myself placed a deposit in 2/02. I picked up my car 32 months later.

:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
32 months! Do you have a weirden (sp?) module that we can use on the Lotus guys? Oh, that's right, you are the only one that doesn't need one. For everyone lost out there, see Dune.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I placed my deposit in January 2003 as well. I believe that Shinoo and Mikester did as well. And we all are still waiting. Modern Wedgie just received her car from a Jan 03 deposit.

The good news, from my perspective, is that my ship was due to arrive around Nov 14th, so my car should be available in a couple of weeks.

I have been equally frustrated about many things, including the lack of communication from Lotus and the timing of the price increase. However, during my brief periods of rational thought, I do admit that much of this angst is self-induced. A large portion of the wait simply resulted from the time required to get approval to launch a new car in the US. The first car was delivered on July 15th and I will be getting my car within the first six months, so that's not too bad. I waited about a year and a half to get my Miata after first learning that Mazda would be building a new convertible, so this is pretty comparable.

We were warned time and again by those familiar with Lotus that there would be delays, but many of us still developed unrealistic expectations. Many of my friends can't believe that I've been waiting almost two years for a car, but I know that it will be worth it. Doesn't keep me from complaining about delays and other issues, but in reality since I will be driving my Lotus for many years to come, this initial delay in delivery is hardly fatal.

The head Lotus cheerleader has assured me (and all of us) that the wait will be worth it. So hang in there.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Genjuro said:
You guys got nothing on Randy, Chris, and a few others. I myself placed a deposit in 2/02. I picked up my car 32 months later.

:D

Yup. There are people that waited longer than me.

On unofficial list January 2001
Received car August 2004

That is not Lotus's problem or fault that I chose to wait that long for a car that is a low volume and relatively high demand. I could have bought an Accord.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
What jml says:

I got on the "interest list" (they weren't taking deposits yet) at Symbolic on/around Jan/February 2002.

Placed my deposit as soon as I was notified that they were taking deposits, January 2003.

Placed my order March 2004.

Still waiting....

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Nov 02. Don't expect my car to April-May.

While I am happy to see people getting their cars - it is still a little...alot frustrating to see people who put down deposits WAY after me getting cars. Only Lotus would allocate cars by dealer preference.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I placed my deposit 11/14/03 and expect January or February 2005 delivery. I would have been earlier, but Car & Driver let me down. I was not aware that US version was coming until I happened to see the October 2003 Road and Track at the library. I used to subscribe to both (and a couple of others), but did not have time to read them all. I let all but C&D lapse. After letting me down on the Elise and all the truck reviews, I am switching to R&T.

Actually, the wait doesn't seem bad at all. After reading about the DeLorean in C&D in July 1977, I discovered a friend in the car business was going to be a dealer. I got on the list in the fall of '77 and took delivery almost four years later. I did get a car from the first delivery into KC.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
35173 said:
32 months! Do you have a weirden (sp?) module that we can use on the Lotus guys? Oh, that's right, you are the only one that doesn't need one. For everyone lost out there, see Dune.
If I used it, it might risk covering the earth with water... thus masking all the roads for us to drive on.

As Randy indicated below, some of us were on a 'list'..without any money down.

I have to thank Dennis Palatov (sp?) aka dp. He had an s1 and back in the early fall of 01, he told me that it was coming to the US. I was set at that point on getting a car.....problem was.. it took me near 6 months to find a dealer that was taking deposits, and that I felt comfortable.

I can say this much.. for all of you guys out there still waiting.. keep waiting. It's worth it. It's SOOOOOO worth it. If you want a true sports car... then you are in the right place.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The one who waited the longest can't answer, they still haven't gotten it. Sorry, couldn't resist. There is one in every crowd.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I officially had the deposit down in January '02 - picked up the car in August '05. But unofficially, I was one of the people bugging Arnie and others since the Elise was first announced back in '96...

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
deposit nov. 5 '03
order sept. 23 '04
car... maybe Jan '05?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts