The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you have a RHD car and if so, how long did it take you to get used to driving it. When I say driving it I mean driving it WELL.

Im going to be autocrossing my RHD car and the sensations from that side of the car are a little different than from where I'm used to. The shifting isnt so bad, its just the orientation.

Anyone?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I don't own one but I have driven them alot. The only thing that I found was that had issues with getting the corners correct. Being on the wrong side of the car messes you up for knowing where to place the car on the edge of the road. I wouldn't call it a problem with depth perception but it's something like it. A few dead cones should cure that. ;)

The shifting in the wrong hand goes away pretty quickly. A few missed shifts here and there but that's it.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
OneFast...

Only suggestion/advice... practise.

The left shifting takes some adapting, but can be mastered to the point that you'll be banging your left hand into the door panels in LHD cars! :)

Perhaps the hardest is learning where the corners of the car are and figuring out where to look. We've instinctively learned where to look in our LHD cars and we've grown accustom to where the corners/wheels are relative our seating position.

You'll find that placing the car in a righthand turn is easier than lefts which are more "blind". That's just the mirror of an LHD car. When I get in an unfamiliar car I use the Botts dots on the highway and try to run over them with individual wheels to try to learn the placement. Same goes for going around corners, I find a depression, utility cover, or bump and try to hit it as I enter/exit.

With some seat time you start getting comfortable and re-program your instincts.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
389 Posts
I drive one every day! :D (Do I count though?)

If it's any help, my experiences driving a LHD car (ie: wrong way round for me) were fine. Took a while to feel natural, but not too long. My (American) husband readjusted to RHD when we moved to London 6 years ago, and he's just as happy with left or right now. He just does the thing for a few days after getting home from a trip where he goes around to the wrong side of the car... that soon wears off though.

It's really not as big of a deal as people think it is. I imagine learning to drive manually if you only know automatic is a much bigger hassle than just swapping over your gear changing hand and remembering to stay on the correct side of the road.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice everyone. :)

Just driving the car wont be a big deal for me, my worry is during racing. All my lines, perception and how I set up corners will change. I guess it'll just have to be seat time.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
girlracer said:
Hey just thought - which way do you race around the track in America? :eek: :confused: Clockwise or anti-clockwise??
Us Yanks are a confused lot... both ways! Some tracks are clockwise, others counter. Then there are a number of places that are total rebels and use a Figure-8!!!

But generally, you can be pretty much assured 99% of the ovals are counter. And the majority of road circuits are clockwise.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Having lived on both sides of the pond I'm used to either LHD or RHD. The biggest problem when you switch over, apart from getting in the passenger side and hitting the door when you want to change gear, is judging the width of the car. You can see things so close out the right-hand door now (the drivers side) but the left-hand side has suddenly gone miles away. You will be thinking you are taking left turns close to the apex but in fact you will still be a few feet away. The comment to practice with the bumps on the road is a good idea. I'll have to remember this myself next time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts