The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been going through some old threads and have come to the conclusion that there are some among us that are getting screwed by our insurance companies. I keep seeing people saying that their insurance carrier considered their car an "exotic" and then get nailed with a really outrageous premium.

That simply shouldn't be the case.

I have there cars, a 02 Corvette convertible, an 05 Elise, and an 07 Civic.

The Civic cost the most to insure, the Corvette the least. This is with the exact same coverage on each car. The Civic cost the most because it is a highly stolen model and because the average age of the owner is pretty young. The Corvette and Lotus cost less because they are almost never stolen and the average age of the owner is higher.

I pay $419 every six months for the Lotus with 100,000 / 300,000 coverage, PIP, towing , uninsured motorist, and rental coverage. I put down that I drive 11,000 miles a year. I'm 41 and average about one speeding ticket every year. My cars are insured through USAA.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My insurance rate is ridiculously high, but I'm also a young, male driver. Have been using AAA...most of the other quotes I've received are pretty similar - don't see much point in switching since I get decent benefits from them.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
The 1 speeding ticket a year is killing you the most, I'd say.

USAA is a good company when it comes to claims. I personally don't mind paying a little more for them.

Price is for every 6mo, 100/300 property 300/500 injury. 24 male, perfect record,

06 civic hybrid - 18k mi/year - 333
05 elise - 8k mi/year - 712

·
Registered
86 Posts
07 elise, 07 miata, 05 bmw 3series, 05 ducati monster 620

Same coverage as you except towing and rental for $700 about half year. In CA age 33. Miata and BMW as primary. They told me Elise was exotic so when I added it, it went up around $200 per half year.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have a collision with no property damage and I insure an 07 Honda Accord and the 07 Exige S for about $1,000 every six months.. the Exige only added $600 a year.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I pay 3100 a year with safety insurance, but i have 8 points, one small accident in another car where i backed into someone with my van and then 3 speeding tickets... I am 28.

The damage from the accident was like 600 and my deductible was 500 but the person who i hit would not let me pay it out of pocket because she was a moron, who was parked behind me on the grass next to my driveway i might add. So that really sucked since it added 4 points.

Also i live in an area that is supposedly terrible for cars so that counts against me too i guess.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I hate you all 5 speeding tickets this summer alone all due to the car!!! I don't even want to say how many times I got pulled over that's even worst. Lets say my agent has a smile ear to ear when I see him and pay him annually at one time.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
50 years, male, primary driver on a '06 Exige, with no tickets or accidents on record. Coverage is based on $250k per person / $500K per accident liability limits, 7,500 mileage cap per year, $1k deductible, and multi-car (five cars). My annual premium just for the Lotus is $1,106 ($553 per 6 mos.) with State Farm.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I pay $419 every six months for the Lotus with 100,000 / 300,000 coverage, PIP, towing , uninsured motorist, and rental coverage. I put down that I drive 11,000 miles a year. I'm 41 and average about one speeding ticket every year. My cars are insured through USAA.
I'm in AZ. I got a quote through USAA cuz I am financing my upcoming Elise purchase with them and they wanted $1300/6 months... in addition to the other cars I have. :eek:

I'm 33
100/300 Quote w/UI
1 speeding ticket in the last 3 years (criminal speeding)
1 accident - not my fault - 3 years ago

Got a quote from Geico and it was $450/6 months :shrug:

I wish I knew WTF this happened as I want to get 100% with USAA. the quote they gave me for my house and my wife's car was awesome...

·
Registered
85 Posts
So...I just did a new "ballpark" online quote with AllState and it was ~$2000/year less than AAA's quote. I'm thinking it's time to switch...wtf?

On that note though, I've only had one speeding ticket and I did traffic school for it. Do I need to specify that on my insurance quote/application or does traffic school completely negate it?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
So...I just did a new "ballpark" online quote with AllState and it was ~$2000/year less than AAA's quote. I'm thinking it's time to switch...wtf?

On that note though, I've only had one speeding ticket and I did traffic school for it. Do I need to specify that on my insurance quote/application or does traffic school completely negate it?
I don't know why they bother asking, they're going to run your license anyway. But the ticket I got in June 07 doesn't show up on my records and I took a class for it. But you're in California, so it may not apply.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...thirty-six, no collisions nor moving violations since 1999/2002...

100K/200K bodily injury
50K property damage
25K/50K underinsured bodily injury
25K underinsured property damage
$250 uninsured deductible
$500 comprehensive/collision deductible

$414 / 6 months - USAA

...i think i should consider bumping up my underinsured coverage...

·
Registered
356 Posts
I pay 3100 a year with safety insurance, but i have 8 points, one small accident in another car where i backed into someone with my van and then 3 speeding tickets... I am 28.

The damage from the accident was like 600 and my deductible was 500 but the person who i hit would not let me pay it out of pocket because she was a moron, who was parked behind me on the grass next to my driveway i might add. So that really sucked since it added 4 points.

Also i live in an area that is supposedly terrible for cars so that counts against me too i guess.

Same here, Boston, 9 points, 3800 for the lotus garaged in Boston, and 2200 for subaru wrx...

The thing I wonder is, can I put hold on my insurance for like 6 months for the elise, hence I wont take it out until spring rains wash away salt?

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Seems silly to discuss raw numbers since geography and credit factor into it so much these days. I'm roughly 2 miles from skyscrapers in a metro area and the Evo costs me ~30% more per year to insure than the Exige, despite costing roughly 1/2 as much.

Interestingly enough, as far as "exotic" goes, the Evo is more exotic than a Ferrari 360 - just over 8000 Evo IXs produced versus >11,000 360s produced. The Exige? Well, that's not even an argument worth having.
;)

I'm a USAA member but do not have insurance through USAA. I'd suggest you speak to bodyshops about claims experience, examine specimen policies from carriers, and make your decisions based on more than price - I did.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I'm a USAA member but do not have insurance through USAA. I'd suggest you speak to bodyshops about claims experience, examine specimen policies from carriers, and make your decisions based on more than price - I did.
...that's exactly why i've been with USAA for the past twenty-two years despite many cheaper alternatives...what did you learn? - i'm genuinely curious...

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
...that's exactly why i've been with USAA for the past twenty-two years despite many cheaper alternatives...what did you learn? - i'm genuinely curious...
Why not? USAA is consistantly ranked the number one carrier by every organization that rates insurance carriers.
From the JD Powers site:
"* USAA, as an insurance provider open only to the U.S. military community and their families, is not included in the official study rankings."

Several reasons, some of which may be specific to me:
- lower coverage for same or higher costs (both auto and homeowners)
- State Farm has pretty consistently quoted equal or cheaper
- USAA dropped motorcycle coverage and subcontracted out to Progressive
- the worst claims experience I've ever had with any carrier (vehicle was a total loss)

I'm with Allstate currently and polled a couple of bodyshops I've dealt with. Both stated State Farm was the best to deal with (from their perspectives) regarding claims, and Allstate was #2. I switched to Allstate after the bad claims experience with USAA - it took over a month to get an adjuster who could value my vehicle and another two weeks to get money out of USAA, despite them having a large local claims office at the time. By the time they cut the check, I'd already bought a replacement.
:shrug:

On the up side, they did pay for my medical care promptly.

The bikes are with Progressive, simply because they're the only company that will write a liability policy on anything with a license plate (another thing USAA used to do, along with collector vehicles).
;)

I genuinely think USAA used to be a great insurance company 20 years ago but that they've slowly become like any other major carrier and the things that made them great (ridiculously low cost, overseas coverage with a phone call, suspension of US insurance while overseas, agreed value on anything, personal service, etc.) have fallen out of their portfolio.

I still use them for banking, etc. though - they've been great for that.
:up:

eta: I probably pay $100-$200/year more with Allstate/Progressive but have better homeowners coverage and phenomenally better service on claims.

eta2: I just logged in and quoted the cars with USAA - $455.20/year more than Allstate (and that's after applying about a half dozen USAA discounts: multi-car, mileage, etc.).

1 - 20 of 103 Posts