The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In light of the very nice review of the Elise by the Wall Street Journal (this was a big surprise), I am thinking of not geting the Touring Package and leave the car as is.

If you read the article in the WSJ, they thought the Touring Package actually cheapened the car and took away from the LOTUS minimalism concept. Also, they thought the power window butons were plain chintzy.

Anyone else thinking along this way?

TIA.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I don't base my car buying decisions from the WSJ. I've ordered the touring package and intend to keep it. I like the added features. I plan on taking my car on some long drives, so the touring package is what I need.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Got me thinking too...

Hope I still see a little of that beautiful aluminum and raw racer. Really wanted upgrated seats, sound buffer and radio.

I own a z3 1.9 now with supercharger and flywheel and the wife hates taking any sort of trip in it.

Hoping the noise level is no worse (Not sure I can expect better although an aluminum flywheel is really noisey)

Only 90 days away!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Talked to Nick at the LA Auto Show about this. He told me that I would be happy with the touring package if I was going to use the car as a daily driver. Good enough for me. I'm getting it.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If you are going to change your mind over a review in the WSJ, then you should just pack it up. ;)

Yeah, the WSJ has had years of testing cars. That's their true nature, a car rag. :D I'll bet that the author of the review lives in NY city and doesn't even own a car.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Genjuro said:
If you are going to change your mind over a review in the WSJ, then you should just pack it up. ;)

Yeah, the WSJ has had years of testing cars. That's their true nature, a car rag. :D I'll bet that the author of the review lives in NY city and doesn't even own a car.
What he said;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This isn't about changing minds over a review in the WSJ but more about soliciting "mature" constructive advice from fellow Elise enthusiasts. I guess I was wrong in your case!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I ordered mine without the Touring Package. I want the car as plain and minimalist as possible.

It's funny. One of the major reasons we didn't get the Elise years earlier (besides the engine not being OBD-II compliant) was that Lotus Marketing was convinced that the "bare" Elise wouldn't sell in the US. They believed that the "Hair and Nails set" in the US would insist on things like carpeting, radios, sound proofing, power windows and door locks, and cup holders. It seem like they were only wrong on one item... :(

Tim Mullen

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Chill out everyone. I am sure nobody read the one review and reconsidered based only on that.

I am getting the touring package. Because it's only 12 pounds and I can outdrive someone else who is 12 pounds lighter. :) Because Nick Adams recommended it to me when I talked to him. Because I liked the seats better (at least compared to the preliminary seat at the LA Auto Show). Because I can remove the carpet if I don't like it. Because I didn't want to upgrade the stereo and the MP3 ability is something I want. Because I will use the cargo net.

Windows... I don't care. Electric or manual would be fine. As long as one is not a lot heavier or problematic.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
BLASPHEMY WARNING! I wish the Touring package had cruise control. I plan on taking some road trips in my Elise.

·
Registered
601 Posts
MickOpalak said:
BLASPHEMY WARNING! I wish the Touring package had cruise control. I plan on taking some road trips in my Elise.
I agree. I would like to take mine on some road trips and the addition of cruise control would have been nice.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
MickOpalak said:
I also wish it would. And before anyone jumps on the "I am superior" bandwagon :) try driving 1200 miles straight in one day (as I tend to do) and do it without cruise control. I hardly ever use Cruise Control locally.... but on long mind-numbing freeway drives, after 10+ hours of having your leg/foot in one position.

I doubt many people in the UK drive over 1000 miles in one day. :)

This is also the one time I want a cupholder. :) (waiting for this to now be linked on SELOC)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Sorry, no Touring pack for me and I'm glad there aren't any cupholders or cruise control. However I think Lotus ought to consider these options. different people have different requirements and variations can make more money for the manufacturer. Personally I'd delete the radio too.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Z0650TH said:
Anyone else thinking along this way?
I used the same logic when I ordered my Elise. Sports pack+Hardtop

My take,

Power windows: My arm works just fine, and the manual ones look fantastic.

Sound deading material: Great, it drops the noise from 95 db to 92 db.

mp3 player: I have an iPod if I need to listen to anything. Most likely will keep the radio off, even with it on, I doubt you could hear it well over the road/engine noise.

Stowage net: Can always buy that afterwards

Upgraded carpeting: Why? Aluminum looks great

Leather: No way in the South Florida sun.

Also the spirit of the Elise goes against the touring pack. I guess the same could be said of ABS and AC, but I do want a fairly minimalist car that isn't entirely savage.

I'm sure some 7 owers will chime in saying the the confort level of the Elise is akin to a nice benz. :) :D :D

And of course the folks the LCU are going to say go for the touring pack. It is easier to enjoy by more folks than the Sports pack and they make money from it.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
offroadr35 said:
i bet the WSJ guy has never driven an Elise....
how much do you want to bet?

To see if the new version could give a Ferrari feel at Toyota prices, we headed to Birmingham, Ala., where we put the Elise through a twisty autocross course and around the 15-turn, 2.3-mile racetrack at Barber Motorsports Park.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Re: Re: Who is getting the Touring Package

Andreas said:
Power windows: My arm works just fine, and the manual ones look fantastic.

Leather: No way in the South Florida sun.
I wish the touring had a manual window option because I prefer their looks too, but I have read that the electric rattle less.

Base has black leather in center of seat, so you might want to cover with a white towel to prevent hot buns.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts