The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By my estimates a kit would cost about $5500 in parts (for about 5 PSI of boost). For higher levels of boost (10 PSI), the engine would have to be sleeved, forged pistons added, compression lowered, and the valve train reworked (which would add additional cost).

At this point I am just curious who else is interested. I have worked out which parts are best suited for the Lotus Elise and the Toyota 2ZZ-GE engine. This took many weeks of time and I think I have solved the most difficult design issues with the exception of tuning and/or engine rebuilding.

I would like to use this thread to discuss the topic and to help me work out the finer details.

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
im sure your aware the compression ratio is like 11.5:1??
even at 5 psi of boost ur tune is going to be right on the edge of lean....
also, ur looking at maybe 50hp for over 5500 bucks. does that 5500 bucks cover everything from the s.c., the tubing, the oil lines, the fuel pump, injectors and all?? how about the stand alone ecu u will need?? a good stand alone is around 2k.
if i do this, im going to do it right. and thats getting another engine rebuilt with lowered compression, forged internals, and run maybe a little more boost or at least a SAFER tune/compression ratio.
then ill still have the original engine sitting to put back in if i need to....
hmmm.....250hp at the wheels would be very fun in this car, wouldnt it??
i know stan is gonna give me **** for this, but i think it would be a lot of fun roasting zo6's at the quarter mile....:)

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
When I park my Elise after a drive it seems to have a lot of heat in the engine compartment. I am guessing that if you add a SC or a Turbo you are going to add even more heat...

The car is great fun as it is and reliability is a great thing:D

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I'm interested only if the install is performed by the dealer with full coverage under the original factory warranty.
Otherwise, if I still have the car after the warranty expires I'll be doing an engine swap of some sort..:D

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
The Elise does have some heat build-up in the engine compartment. We ran into this and tested it on the Dyno recently. Power dropped by about 8 RWHP and much of the torque curve dropped by 10% when things got nice and toasty. Any turbo or SC installs might need to deal with these issues. My main power delivery complaint is not really asking for more, it's the softish area before lift engages. It would be nice to have some more oompth at around 4-6000. That way when Lift engages and you are cornering, the car won't get upset by the changeover.

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
then just get another 2zz block and rebuild it and swap it out...
those motors are cheap.....
then u dont have to worry about warranty too much

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>i know stan is gonna give me **** for this, but i think it would be a lot of fun roasting zo6's at the quarter mile....<<<

Let me try to get this straight. You want to heavily, I mean *heavily* modify the Elise so that you can beat bone-stock Vettes on the dragstrip?

The special qualities the Elise enjoys are not straightline / gas pedal oriented in nature.

Colin Chapman must be shuddering at the thought..

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Making a car accelerate faster does not imply you want a drag car. I don't think anyone will argue thhat a GT2/GT3, C5's, 360's etc etc are drag cars but they all can handily walk away in the straights. Having a quicker car in the straights will help it's overall performace on the track and not just the 1/4 drag strip. If this is not the case then I think they better start making all these cars slow as the Elise so they can perform better :huh:

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
hahahaha....!!
i told everyone u would give me **** for that, stan...
come on...in all honesty stan, wouldnt it be fun to do that??
its not like im taking ur handling away from u stan....
the car is still balanced the same, still handles....
may need some wider tires or something though..hehe

·
Registered
591 Posts
I can assure you a new Corvette is not a "drag car". The suspension set-up would be entirely different. It is no more a "drag car" than a Lotus Elise. It just hppens to have a better power to weight ratio (et/acceleration at the bottom end) and more absolute power with a better Cd (speed in the quarter).

People just want more of everything. The Elise is getting close to physical limits (as we know them) on cornering with a street suspension and has a lot room to grow in the acceleration and top speed side of the equation. So some people are looking at that side. There is nothing wrong with that. It is possible to have a great handling car and have great acceleration too (see F1, CanAm), there is nothing wrong with searching for your Nirvana!

Happy Motoring!
Greg

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Patricko said:
Over steering in his grave...:eek:
Perfect new Lotus related phrase...:clap: :clap: rotfl rotfl

I will remember that one!!!

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
scalpelman said:
I am interested in supercharging. I know the Blitz supercharger for the Celica GT-S is an option.
Well you need to buy a Celica GT-S then.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
scalpelman said:
'
Wise guy, huh? same engine as I'm sure you know. Who else makes an applicable supercharger for the 2zz?
I think his point was that it's not the same ECU and associated electronics. Also the engine bay layout is significantly less accomodating. Gonna need a lot of modifications to the Blitz setup to make it work.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts