The Lotus Cars Community banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
concerning engine swaps.....
its been mentioned that people put audi tt motors or hondas or whatever in the elise/exige. so obviously they fit. wouldnt that be a simpler solution than trying to add and fabricate a supercharger to the existing engine which wasent designed for sc or turbo in the first place?
swapping motors would solve a lot of problems....tuning would be spot on, driveability would be factory perfect, etc....
my question is, how does an audi or honda engine mate up to the toyota trans? or is that swapped out too.

also, doesent the audi tt 4 banger put out 190hp too?? why would we want to swap for that anyway?? because its easier to mod??

if were swapping out motors, i vote for the 2.4l from an srt-4. that motor is bullet proof and smooth as hell. it has a small turbo and spools up by 2800(?) rpms. it puts down around 220 at the wheels but with a mopar stage one ur looking at around 250-260 at the wheels. excellent torque, excellent hp....power comes on low in the rev band too...i know those motors rock in the 2900 lb srt4, would be awesome in our cars.
i know.....wont fit, right?

·
Registered
866 Posts
evomind said:
its been mentioned that people put audi tt motors or hondas or whatever in the elise/exige. so obviously they fit. wouldnt that be a simpler solution than trying to add and fabricate a supercharger to the existing engine which wasent designed for sc or turbo in the first place?
swapping motors would solve a lot of problems....tuning would be spot on, driveability would be factory perfect, etc....
my question is, how does an audi or honda engine mate up to the toyota trans? or is that swapped out too.

also, doesent the audi tt 4 banger put out 190hp too?? why would we want to swap for that anyway?? because its easier to mod??

if were swapping out motors, i vote for the 2.4l from an srt-4. that motor is bullet proof and smooth as hell. it has a small turbo and spools up by 2800(?) rpms. it puts down around 220 at the wheels but with a mopar stage one ur looking at around 250-260 at the wheels. excellent torque, excellent hp....power comes on low in the rev band too...i know those motors rock in the 2900 lb srt4, would be awesome in our cars.
i know.....wont fit, right?
The TT puts out in 1.8 turbo form, 180 or 225 hp stock. Both can be chipped, and the 225 can be taken to around 270 with the chip.

As for the 2.4 str motor, Keep on wishing. I predict it would never happen even though it might make an interesting theoretical possibility.

Also, the SRT 4 motor can have a new manifold and turbo put on and put down 350 hp to the wheels. That would be amazing, but the Elises current transimission would have to go, or else our top speed would be 100 MPH with the low redline.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
raggedy1 said:
haven't honda motors been put into elises? imagine an s2K motor and tranny...............................:clap:
It'd be a real bastard to make work though since the S2000 is not a transverse engine with transaxle type setup. Bring money. Buckets full. The only real practical (and I use that word in the very loosest sense) engine/transmission swaps will come from FWD cars.

evomind said:
Turn that question around. Wouldn't it be simpler to add FI to the engine that's already in place than to re-engineer the whole rear end of the car to accept a motor that it was never designed to hold? The Honda swap kit (the most straightforward change I've heard of) costs 7 or 8 thousand bucks for the kit without the engine or any labor. Maybe 12-14K or more in total?

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Mean TT said:
That would be amazing, but the Elises current transimission would have to go
I can't imagine a swap that doesn't replace the tranny at the same time as the engine. Trying to get a Toyota transaxle to mate up with any other motor sounds like an exercise in futility.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
yes, it would be easier to add fi to the existing powerplant, however it probably wont be the one already in the car. compressions too high.

i understand swapping engines, especially from one manufacturer to another is problematic at best. i raised the issue because i keep hearing about it. and because it may allow our cars to run "factory smooth."

as far as the srt4 motor and red line...(just for arguments sake), the tranny they use in those cars is very good, or if there was a way to keep the toyota trans, couldnt we change the gearing out back?? probably much easier.

anyway, as ive stated before, im probably going to take out the stock motor and build another one with forged internals, lower compression, and head work, then get a supercharger. when i sell the car ill just swap back the stock motor....

i havent heard a better alternative yet.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
evomind said:
anyway, as ive stated before, im probably going to take out the stock motor and build another one with forged internals, lower compression, and head work, then get a supercharger. when i sell the car ill just swap back the stock motor....

i havent heard a better alternative yet.
That sounds like the best plan I've heard so far. other than the supercharger hardware, everything will fit as designed.

I don't think you'd get the SRT motor and the Toyota transaxle to mate up without mass fabrication.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The TT motor (aka a 1.8L volkswagen/seat/skoda/audi turbo 4) puts out 180bhp or 225bhp from the factory depending on the state of tune and a few internals (pistons are different IIRC).

With a chip even the 180bhp can be made to coax 250bhp, and up to 310bhp has already been done in an elise (exige actually). The 310bhp engine has a different turbo - an IHI rollerbearing type - supplied by http://www.jabbasport.co.uk.

For this conversion the gearbox is a volkswagen part - and the conversion is definately not an easy swap. The 250bhp version costs £7500, with the 300bhp one costing about £9500. Bernard's looking around for someone willing to try out a higher level of tune, since jabbasport do much more powerful engines.
More info here http://www.auto-teknix.co.uk/audi-conv.htm.

Apparently the gearbox is good for about 400 lb/ft of torque, and power is a question of how deep your pockets are up to around 450bhp. Bernard's happy to discuss someone's "project monster".

Disclaimer - I'm not connected to Bernard in any way. I've only met him once, but I'd like him to succeed as he's one of the real enthusiasts.

Craigy

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Found this nugget on MLOC:

"Had my first (free) service done last week and had a chat with gerald at Peter Smiths.

We got chatting about the exige and HE said (not me) that Lotus was developing a bolt on supercharger for the exige only - something to do with fitment in the engine bay.

Apparently 250 bhp - due later on in 2005. No sales pitch or whatever so this must be true.."

This would make sense considering the Elise engine compartment packaging.

http://www.midlandslotus.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=3385

·
Registered
56 Posts
If true, this is good news especially since the warranty would remain valid. However, even if it is true I suspect Lotus will not be particularly fast in bringing it out.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts