The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in desperate need of a mesh kit for the top slats above the radiator. Who is making them?!?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I recommend welded 316L mesh.
Stiff enough it can block rocks with a frame.
Can be shaped.
Run an edge on it and you may have an adequate piece for cosmetics.

·
Registered
972 Posts
With a fair amount of work you can remove the slats, keep the frame and add mesh to the existing radiator covers.

·
Premium Member
11,993 Posts
Don't we have threads about this already? And, people selling them?

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
If I wanted mesh for the front or hatch I'd make my own. I did this for my side scoops and it worked great.

Make a cardboard pattern then transfer it to a block of soft wood. Shape the wood to the exact form that you want and hand shape the mesh over the block of wood with a mallet and a pad.

I know it's not for everyone but you'll probably get a result better than anything else.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I don't know if Kevin @ NCI is still making them, but his email is below. He also made the side scoop brackets for the Elise. Always great, quality work. I've got a pair, love em. If he's still doing the mesh, I might pick up a set myself. Nothing wrong with doing it yourself as stated above either, just throwing this out for ya. Go toward the end of the thread.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/mesh-grill-feeler-62798/

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I've always wondered, does the mesh from an Exige fit the Elise? For the exception of the engine hatch of course.

·
Premium Member
11,993 Posts
Me, too.

Did the front grills too.

I'm OK with the horizontal plastic bits. Have you considered doing those as well?

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Anybody have a current source for these mesh kits? Eliseparts looks great but very pricey and shipping from the UK. I emailed Jim from BBB and waiting to hear back, although it looks like he is no longer making them. Any other options out there? Fabricating them myself sounds like a big project. I'm also considering painting my existing grills but would prefer to just replace with mesh. Non on the trim darkening products have worked for me (Back to Black, Forever Black, etc.)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Can vouch for Jim @ BBB, he made some for me earlier this year. I see the site says discontinued, but maybe he'll whip up a set for ya. I really like mine.

Attachments

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,093 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Honestly making them is not that difficult.

I made the first set on my own, and after doing so I am going to change a couple things, really the rear vents as I want them to have a cleaner look than what I did last time.

Long story short though, honestly they are not difficult at all to make, and because of that, I would honestly encourage you to consider making them yourself if you don't want to pay someone else's premium. The side vents are the hardest to make, just because of bondo...but since I know now what I didn't then, I will not make the same mistake twice. :)

If you want details, I will PM you, just let me know what you want to know exactly. I plan on tackling mine this summer when I have some extra time at home...but until then I am just driving around grill-less.

:) I should point out...that honestly you will be out about a total of $100 in parts (i.e. mesh, bondo, buildable primer, and sand paper.)

·
craigyirush
1,536 Posts
Don't the S3 Elises (in the US, the 2011 Elise R) have mesh side intakes?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for the input! I'm sure I could tackle this project but just don't have the energy or space to do it now. I believe the face lifted cars have mesh side scoops. They are available new but are expensive.

Looks like gregsraceparts.com has a 9 piece kit (not including scoops) for $359, which sounds much more reasonable than others I've seen. Anybody running that kit?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ordered Greg's mesh kit along with hydraulic trunk lid strut. Now time to wait for the goodies to arrive!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts