The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, if you are, put a pic of your car up!

My main question is this though...

I currently have LSS wheels in silver which I was quoted about $500 to respray black. I figured for around 1K, I can have TD 1.2 in black and a more aggressive look overall (plus the extra width).

My question is, if you have gone from LSS wheels to these TD 1.2 (which are a bit heavier), did you notice any detriment to the car's handling?

Please leave your bias with regards to weight out of this...we all know the TD are slightly heavier. However you also get more width and better tyre fitment.

I'm willing to cop a bit of weight if there isnt a huge performance loss...

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
You don't have to "cop" the weight if you get the forged wheels. The 1.2s are cast and therefore heavier than the 1.4s that are used on the Cup cars.

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
I have two sets of the 1.2's for the track and they have been great. My fronts are 15" for greatly improved tire selection. The Hankook Rs-3's are awesome and cheap (other set for hoosiers). Yes, it would be nice to have a set of the 1.4's....but for fun on the track, these are plenty good for me.

Handling difference? The biggest thing for me is when I run a 225 up front the steering feels heavy at slow speeds. Other than that, I doubt you would feel it.

Pic:

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You don't have to "cop" the weight if you get the forged wheels. The 1.2s are cast and therefore heavier than the 1.4s that are used on the Cup cars.
Haha yes that's true, but the 1.4 is double the price :D

Jefrac, what sizes are yours? Must be wider than 7 inch front if you have a 225.

I would have thought 205/45/16 and 235/40/17 would be just right for 7x16 and 8x17??

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I think the extra width is more of an advantage than the extra weight is detrimental. Either way with like tires you won't notice a difference on the street

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
Haha yes that's true, but the 1.4 is double the price :D

Jefrac, what sizes are yours? Must be wider than 7 inch front if you have a 225.

I would have thought 205/45/16 and 235/40/17 would be just right for 7x16 and 8x17??
It has been a while....but if I recall correctly, they are 8" and 9". I run these sizes for both the Hankook and Hoosiers:

225/45/15
245/40/17
No rubbing, but I do have Nitrons....I would bet softer springs would allow enough roll to create some rubbing.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
^^^ could you be more specific aschen? What width tyres do people run on these?
Id run 205s on the front and 235 or 245 on the back. These will fit on the 6.5 and 7.5 lss wheelss but are a better fit for the td 7 and 8.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks mate, that's what I was thinking too. Could probably get away with a 215 on the front but I don't think that's a very available size.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
I'm still hung up on the $500 for painting! Just spend $50 on the gloss plastidip wheel kit and spend a Saturday on it.

And I'm running the 1.2s, but they came with mine so I don't have a before/after. I'm actually running oem tires sizes

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah 500 is a rip, but that's basically the going rate here. another shop quotes $180 per wheel!!

I'm going to go ahead and order the pro race 1.2 in matt black. pitty they dont offer satin but gloss wont suit the car IMO.

what is the matt finish like? sometimes matt black looks brown from some angles, i hope that's not the case.

also, does anyone know where I can get lotus emblems to stick over the team dynamics centre caps?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Spiller, you can get emblems on E-Bay for your center caps. It is where I got mine. I assume they are the same size as the Team Dynamics 1.4 wheels. I bought 8 at once, just in case one fell off and I needed a spare a couple years later. None have fallen off.
Most of the emblem vendors are happy to make them any reasonable size at a low cost.

Attachments

·
Vendor
3,335 Posts
We also have the 15x8 and 17x9 option if you want really really wide. As far as weight, you really don't notice it. Our XP car wheels are quite heavy because the 23.5x12R16 slicks are so heavy. You notice the extra grip though. Base wheels are stupidly heavy also for only 5.5"/7.5" wide wheels.
Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 Wheels, Lotus Wheels - Blackwatch Racing

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hi fred,

unfortunately shipping to aus from the states for these would probably hurt too much so its more economical to order from the UK, otherwise I would definitely go ahead and order from you, have been more than pleased with your service in the past (BWR quarter stick in the suitcase if you remember!).

i'm tempted to go with 17x9 but dont want to get too greedy with wheel size. what are the offsets of the 17x9 and how much do they weigh? i dont think I need a 245 or 255 at this stage though...

·
Registered
972 Posts
Just ordered a set of these in 17x8 and 16x7. Guess I'm stuck with sh*t :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Got the 17's delivered yesterday (thanks BWR :up::up:) 16's should be here soon. I opted for gloss black, if they end up looking "weird" or a bit "much" I'll satin plasti-dip them.

Tires en route from TireRack, will post pics when it's all together if anyone's interested at that point.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I got a set of these from Fred in the winter but in silver. Very nice wheels, perfect fit for our cars. Either a 195/225 or 205/235 combo works well on them. Nice top lip for a good tire bead hold. Did a track day with them Sunday and am equally slow on them as on my Lotus Sport wheels that carry another set of tires.

And call me shallow Hal, but these wheels sitting on a set of snubnose bolts with no centercaps look great. I'd love to see them factory painted satin black with the Team Dynamics Motorsports in white.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am going to go for the S model that does away with the team dynamics etching on the rim lip, that way with lotus centre caps no one will know they are aftermarket unless they are in the know.

How do they fill the guards compared to LSS? My calculations tell me they should fill them just nicely without making them impractical.

Also I assumed the OE wheel bolts are compatible with these wheels?

Could someone do my a favor and measure the diameter of the centre cap (in mm)? I think the 1.2 has a smaller cap than the 1.4...

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I run these wheels. Just ordered 205 in front and 245 in rear in R1R. Wanted 235 but waited one month and still backordered. Said fook it and grabbed the 245. Hope no rub!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts