The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering water/meth injection for my 08 Elise SC with M45 and factory tune.
Not looking to gain more power. Just want to keep what I have for more than a few laps. It is very frustrating trying to compare lap times while available power is inconsistent.

Talked to a rep at Snow who didn't strike me as very knowledgeable.
His recommendation was Snow Stage 1 with 175 injector and 25/75 meth/H2O mix. Spraying before the supercharger.

What are you running?

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
My car's previous owner had that kit on my Exige with the TVS1320 (REV300).

He really liked it and mentioned it was a significant difference on track in the Florida summer. He removed it before selling.

I'm just finishing installing a REV400 with the front HEX to accomplish the same thing. Way more work than a Snow or AEM meth sprayer. I've talked to guys who claim spraying just water, depending upon conditions and goals, can be effective.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am going to explain my objectives, and share my thoughts on the setup, based on my current understanding of the tech.
Any corrections, advice or general feedback would be much appreciated.

08 Elise SC with factory non-inetercooled MP45 supercharger. Factory maps. 93 octane(US) gas.

My only objective is cooling on the track.
Want to keep factory maps. Not looking for more boost.
Need to run 30-45 min track sessions, ideally using washer tank.
I place high premium on simplicity and easy setup.

Water/Meth ratio
My understanding is that for cooling - 100% water is ideal. Except, I don't want to loose octane rating compared to the gas in the tank.
What would be lowest ratio for that purpose? My guestimate is 25% meth?

Variable vs constant spray
Seems to me that on the track I should be good with "off/fully on" setup.
To save on juice consumption I should benefit from a load-dependent activation trigger.
I am thinking 50% throttle or some proxy. The downside is additional setup complexity.
For the same reason it would be good to have a power switch, so I can keep it off for the first 8 or so min of the session, until the SC heats up.

Injector size
At 25%(?) meth what should be the minimum flow to stay cool enough to prevent power loss?
I am guessing 100cc/min?

Available Products
Snow Performace Stage 1 seems to address many of my requirements, except I didn't really understand how their boost switch works.
http://snowperformance.net/v/vspfiles/manuals/Sno201.pdf
Didn't quite understand AEM and CollingMist products. They look very sophisticated but I am not sure that sophistication is of benefit to me.

Anything else I am missing?

P.S. I am planning to spray before the SC.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Back in my Miata days I did the exact same thing. I ran water injection simply for safety. I tuned it without the injection then used the system at the track. It worked well.
Because I was cheap I ended up building my own system and used a boost switch similar to the snow kit.
The boost switch is just a switch activated by boost pressure. I'm not familiar with how the OEM SC is setup but you would need to get a vacuum line post blower connected to the boost switch. This might require the intake manifold to be drilled and tapped for one.
I would start out targeting about 5% water flow to fuel flow, which is what I ran. Unless you were tuning for it I dont think I would go much higher than that since you dont want to lose power.
Also, 100% water works the best for cooling. You could also use wiper fluid as well which is about 50/50. I wouldnt mess around with expensive fluid.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Call Phil at BOE...…………….

1 - 7 of 7 Posts