The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a '90 Caterham de Dion with an 170 h.p. Zetec engine that I've had for eleven years. I'm selling it to get an Elise, but only if it has LSD. I want a car I can use as a daily driver (in Northern Nevada it's possible to go top down at least once every month of the year) and drive to autocross events with the least amount of fuss. My wife has a Miata which we autocross when the Seven doesn't run and I'm hoping that the Elise will be like a cross between these two.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Lots of threads on the avail or lack thereof of LSD. Personally unless you are making your living autocrossing, I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker. btw, how much are asking for your Cat?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Who makes their living autocrossing?

I want to be competitive, i.e., have a chance of beating Corvettes. There are a lot of very interesting cars available for the same money now and I'm NOT into buying an Elise simply because it's a "Lotus"(or to be different). Malaysian Lotus isn't the same as Chapman Lotus.

One thing I hate about Marque forums is the lack of objectivity about the marque cars. I bought a 2001 M Roadster after much research and hated it, it was a terrible autocross car and I didn't need a car that did 140 mph, effortlessly, in a straight line on the highway. Once I sold it I found others who had had the same opinion and sold theirs. The Elise is not going top be a "practical" car, which is fine with me, a Seven with Brookland Windscreens is about as impractical as you can get in a car, but I want a car that excels in performance.

I'm not certain about what I'm asking, I was thinking about $23,000. it has many upgrades besides the engine.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Funny as I wanted to sell my Turbo Miata to buy an Elise but decided to buy a Caterham instead. I think the Seven would be more much faster and more fun than the Elise.

I wanted an Elise up until the day I found out about the weight. I want a lightweight sportscar and at 2000lbs the Elise is not much lighter than my Miata (2300lbs). My Miata has much more power because of the turbo so why change cars for just 300lbs? That's why I think the Seven will be perfect with175hp and 1075lbs, it's a beast.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My Caterham is up for sale to make room for the Elise in the garage. As of yesterday, Tonkin had not finalized their negotiations on getting a Lotus franchise so more Elise order is in limbo. All this means I might not need to sell the Seven.

On the plus side, the local Alfa club is having a track day tomorrow at Portland International and the weather looks great!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I am fortunate enough to be able to keep my Seven and get the Elise. I tell you this, I wouldn't sell the Seven for an Elise.
The one thing that keeps me confindent about the Elise is that if it is not as exciting as the Seven there will be buyers ready to take it off my hands. I view both cars as toys so practicality doesn't enter into the equation, may the best toy win!

·
Registered
95 Posts
This is a tough choice but makes sense to me. With the Seven, the Elan, the Elise and my wifes Miata there is not enough room in the garage. Something must go. There is no way my wife will let the Miata go so the choice is the Elan or the Seven. Having (almost) completed a three year restoration on the Elan, it feels more mine than the Seven. Of course this is all moot since my dealer isn't a dealer yet.

I'm also looking at storage space in case SHMBO forgets about the Seven :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts