The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Who ordered LSS?

988 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  jdl8r 
#1 ·
I wanted the upgraded wheels and went for the Sports package. However, I have the fear that it will be far too stiff for the roads here in Socal. My thinking was that it'd be easier and cheaper to install softer shocks/springs than it would be to upgrade from stock.

Anyone know of a dynamic suspension setup?

#3 · (Edited)
Went with the sport package. We're pretty sure it's only 10% stiffer springs and .2" lower ride height. That's not much to worry about. What we're not to sure of, bushings- Lotus change them (softer) for the standard car, that appears to have taken most of the harshness out of it or how stiff the shocks are.

The UK has adjustable shocks... not sure how well they work with the added weight and suspension travel (.4") we've picked up. Good new is they've got the 111R, so wrost case if the current stuff doesn't work well, something that will should be out shortly.

#4 ·
jdl8r said:
I wanted the upgraded wheels and went for the Sports package. However, I have the fear that it will be far too stiff for the roads here in Socal. My thinking was that it'd be easier and cheaper to install softer shocks/springs than it would be to upgrade from stock.

Anyone know of a dynamic suspension setup?
Dynamic supplies Lotus w/ their Sport suspension packages. They are adjustable with bump, rebound and height. I'll bet they'll be a lot pricier than the Nitrons though. Gavin whats-his-name from Lotus goes through the Dynamic suspension on the Best of Britain-Lotus video posted on the "Elise videos" section of the board.

#8 ·
My worries aren't from it being too stiff...

Suspension works to keep the tires in contact with the road. To stiff [as may be the case with imperfections in the street] and bumps in the road will not only upset the chassis, the compound can lose contact with the road. Tunable suspension would therefore be optimal. If hitting the road - great, soften up the compression and rebound. If hitting the track, stiffen etc.

Tracks are typically more cared for and smoother overall than weather/sun beaten concrete or asphalt.

#9 · (Edited)
jdl8r said:
_JD_ so you're telling me that the LSS is adjustable for compression damping, rebound and ride-height? Something extremely common in motorcycles, but rare with cars...
I was'nt clear sorry. The Dynamic suspension comes with Lotus' "Motorsport" cars that are not production types. The Sport 190 which was sold here in limited numbers for track use only, comes with the Dynamic suspension that allows bump, rebound and height adjustment.

The "LSS" or Sportpack that we can get on the Fed car is height adjustable only and comes with Bilstein dampers and Eibach (I believe) springs. I believe the LSS is comprised of the same basic setup as the base car but with firmer springs and re-valved Bilsteins(and of course the 7-double spoke forged wheels from Rimstock). edit- and the steering adjustment for the wider front wheels.

I did'nt opt for the LSS because I would like to get the benefits of a Dynamic type setup down the road.

#10 ·
JD - I hear ya... Suspension is the often overlooked performance magic wand. Bad setup and a car with all the HP in the world won't do sh!t.

I only opted for the LSS as the wheel were lighter and an aftermarket purchase of those cost significantly more than $2400. I plan on then just doing a suspension update to my Elise...

Riding motorcycles taught me more about cars than any car I had ever driven.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.