The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure everyone I know of will want to drive my Elise when I get it. I am sure to allow a select few to drive it. But what happens if someone wrecks it? Who's insurance will cover it?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I'm pretty sure that your friend needs his own insurance for full coverage!

When my mom ran off the road in my celica, destroying the right side wheels and tires, my insurance covered it as part of the comprehensive decuctable. However, had she been in an at-fault accident, I dont think my insurance would have covered her.

Does anyone have experience with this? I thought collision coverage went with driver, and comp goes with car!

·
Registered
495 Posts
That's a great question. I am pretty sure that your insurance (car owner) pays for the car, and of course you are both liable to litigation for properety damage/injury. Then again, some insurers may try to exclude liability if you're not the one driving your car. You may end up having to litigate yourself to get paid.

You are rolling the dice when you let a friend drive the car -- so don't do it unless you are very confident in your friend, well insured and realistically willing to accept the consequences.

For that matter, passengers have also been known to sue the driver for injury. Yep, your 'friend' in the passenger seat may want money. I know of a 'friendship' that ended that way.

Be careful who you let in your car, let alone drive it. It's sad that our culture has become so sue-happy, but it's going to get worse before it gets better

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I would not let a "friend" drive a car with the performance potential of the Elise it's way too easy to get into trouble. Look if they are not use to such cars they should not drive it and if they are, I don't want them driving it! It's kind of like "loaning" tools, or money it's a good way to loose friends. Just scrapeing a curb would do some big time wheel and fiberglass damage and I can tell you your perspective in a car this small is different so it's a real possibility.
Years ago when my M3 was still new I let a friend drive it and the idiot reved it up to about 5000 rpm and dumped the clutch. He thought that was cool I thought he was the biggest idiot on the planet. There was no appearent damage but I always worried about the long term effects of that one act. So,,, no more "test" drives in my cars.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
A friend of mine totalled my old bike. It was a Ducati 900 that I had just bought. RIP with 620 miles on the odometer. My insurance covered it fully, back in the dealer a week later for another bike. He was nut hurt, at least not until I got to him.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I've totalled a friend's car before. His insurance covered it. I wrote him a check for his deductible. I've had other people wreck my cars and my insurance covered that. In 99.99% of cases you insure the car and not the driver. If they have your permission to drive it your insurance will cover it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts