The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of the Elise seats? How's padding, support, general comfort and grip? What are your current seats, and how do they compare? (I won't get a chance to sit in an Elise until a test car arrives in April.)

·
Registered
670 Posts
JonM3Coupe said:
What do you think of the Elise seats? How's padding, support, general comfort and grip? What are your current seats, and how do they compare? (I won't get a chance to sit in an Elise until a test car arrives in April.)
Certainly body type and size is going to greatly influence peoples opinions. I can only give you mine. I'm 6'2 and weigh about 250. The seats were the firmest I've ever sat in. They were OK but very firm. I think they overdid the seat base lateral support. It squeezes pretty good, too much for long drive comfort . I think weight loss which I have started will help. I think the average build womans butt is going to have a hard time with those seats. The seat backs were fine. The seating position was very comfortable and great for driving. Hard to tell about grip in a stationary car, but there is not much room to slide around.

Steve

·
Registered
609 Posts
Seat fit and comfort

I agree that your body shape and size will have a huge influence on your opinion of the seats. For reference, I'm 5'10" and 160 lbs, and I found that the seats in the show cars fit me very well. On the other hand, I find that my current ride's seats fit me very well also, but larger passengers have complained that, rather than sitting between the bolsters, they end up have an ass cheek on each...:) YMMV

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
For me, the seats were fine. Maybe a little less snug that my previous experience in a Euro car. They had sufficient grip and side bolstering that I know it would be a good thing in competition.

Reminded me of my shifter kart's seat, but with leather and padding.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
The Lotus person from the UK told me that they added extra padding in the seats for the USA!

Patrick
2005 Elise waiting...

·
Registered
528 Posts
The cushions were reasonably firm, and really big (at least for me). I actually slosh around in em. Then again, I'm 5'5" and a stones throw from the 100lb mark. Hmm, with a little dieting, I'll be under 100lbs by the time mine comes. Haha. :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
LOL! Apex I am amazed how you have a picture for every conceivable question proposed. You sure you aint got one of these things in you house?
Hehe. It's the fact that I bought too big of a memory card for my digital camera. Makes me take more pictures than I should. ;)

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
atyclb said:
Nick Adams said the final seat design is still being worked on.
What does that mean? The look of the seat or the actual seat (padding, shape)?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I test drove the 111s in Oct. and went to the LA auto show last week to check out the fed car.
W/ the top off you simply walk in standing then sit down, for out you do the opposite. I was always curious what it would be like getting in & out w/ the top on and had that chance in LA. I am 6", 195 and 43 yo. After trying a couple different methods found it very simple. The seats were much more comfortable then the 111s..........stiffer then the cruising car, minivan/SUV, sofa in the living room category. Perfect for this fed car if you ask me.....a good compromise.
So..........w/ the top off, piece of cake...........w/ the top on do some stretching and figure out a technique. The ride is definately worth it.......it is really a non-issue. I saw some pretty wierd body types getting in and out at the auto show w/out any whining.

If you want a comfy cruiser go look at the mercedes, bmw, porsche.......believe me that is where I will be heading in about 10 years.......hopefully the new espirit...........I am going to be enjoying sheer exhiliration in the elise until then.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hehe. It's the fact that I bought too big of a memory card for my digital camera
But I bet you got a smokin' deal on the card as well as the camera, didn't you? ;)

BTW, I take it that you run (or are affiliated with) gotapex.com. Just wanted to say thanks not only for the awesome Elise pictures, but also for running such an awesome site! Saved me some bucks on many purchases.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'm 5'10" and 250 pounds (moderately muscular body with core body weight (i.e. without fat) of 198 pounds.) I fit in the seats just fine and found them to be reasonably comfortable. IMHO, I think the seats in the LA Auto Show cars had the bolsters further apart than the Euro-Spec Elise I drove at Newport European.

Bob K.

·
Registered
528 Posts
strawtarget said:
But I bet you got a smokin' deal on the card as well as the camera, didn't you? ;)

BTW, I take it that you run (or are affiliated with) gotapex.com. Just wanted to say thanks not only for the awesome Elise pictures, but also for running such an awesome site! Saved me some bucks on many purchases.
Yeah, that's right. Well, I should be saying thanks to you then, because without you guys, I wouldn't be able to get an Elise. :)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Derek said:
What does that mean? The look of the seat or the actual seat (padding, shape)?
the actual seat. it sounded like some changes were being considered for the shoulder area especially

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All good info, fellas. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Oh.. One top tip to getting in and out of the car:

ALWAYS MOVE THE DRIVER'S SEAT FULLY BACK BEFORE GETTING OUT AND IN. (it becomes second nature after a while...)

This makes it much more easy to get in/out of the car, and (more importantly) it reduces the strain on the seat runners.

If you don't move the seat back then it's much more of a struggle and you run the risk of bending the seat rails or the rail mechanism, so the seat will 'wobble' after a while.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Arno said:
Oh.. One top tip to getting in and out of the car:

ALWAYS MOVE THE DRIVER'S SEAT FULLY BACK BEFORE GETTING OUT AND IN. (it becomes second nature after a while...)

This makes it much more easy to get in/out of the car, and (more importantly) it reduces the strain on the seat runners.

If you don't move the seat back then it's much more of a struggle and you run the risk of bending the seat rails or the rail mechanism, so the seat will 'wobble' after a while.

Bye, Arno.
Thanks for the tip Arno:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts