·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Font Material property Paper Poster Paper product

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Wait. Trying to decide if you got the Lotus AND the Piper in the deal! ?? :oops::unsure:

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
1,083 Posts
Something tells me that nobody who wanted a RR Silver Shadow was persuaded into the Lotus Elan +2 s and airplane combo instead. It does make a good point, though.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I can offer a bit of additional background on this promotion.

I recall this poster for the promotion hanging in the shop of the local dealer here in Canada. Don’t think the offer extended to our side of the pond though.

Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Photograph Motor vehicle

Back in the day a friend had a very early RHD Plus 2 that had the ghosted image of the associated rear window sticker (example shown below).

Rectangle Font Packaging and labeling Recreation Box

His original Plus 2 UK registration documents listed Mike Spence as the previous owner; we never really knew if this meant it was Spence‘s personal car or owned by his associated dealership as a demonstrator. For us out in the Colonies it all added greatly to the allure of the Lotus brand. Tragically Spence had passed in 1968, and we imagined his car to be one of the early high performance examples provided to the Works driver, but who knows.

Richard Parramint, who many will know from being MC at various LOG meets, actually had the job of installing the decals to the rear glass. I have no idea whether these were only put on cars that sold with the plane and bike, or if they more generally appeared on Plus 2’s. I thought it would be a great chat to have with Richard when we all get together again.

As a silly Covid project I have made up a replica decal for my Plus 2, but still trying to decide whether to attach it to the rear glass of my Federal ‘69 Plus 2. Below are two versions of my efforts so far. I kind of prefer the italicized version, although the block print is closer to the original.

Rectangle Font Electric blue Parallel Signage

·
Premium Member
2,211 Posts
Based on her comments when visiting Norwich, no doubt the PM (or her predecessor) would have preferred a UK brand aircraft for the promotion:

"Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher had plenty of power at her command after flying in to Norwich airport yesterday.

But this time the power was in the shape of a 150 mph Lotus Turbo Esprit sports car.

Mrs. Thatcher's top-gear start to her day-long visit to Norfolk began as soon as she stepped from a jet chartered by Lotus chief Mr. Colin Chapman. A row of spotless Lotus production and racing cars were awaiting her inspection.

After driving the Esprit Turbo she confessed: “I was tempted to drive away in it.”
She was able to inspect the controversial Type 88 Formula One Lotus, and Colin Chapman explained some of the refinements.

Mrs. Thatcher was greeted at the airport by the Lord Mayor of Norwich, Mr. Alan Driver, and the leader of the county council, Mr. John Alston.

The Lord Mayor asked about Colin Chapman 's Cessna jet, and the Prime Minister joked: “Mr. Chapman the Mayor's thinking about a plane ride”

When she found out the plane was American made, she said: “We make an executive jet—and it's much better than this one.” "

Reactions: h20ham

·
Administrator
11,271 Posts
What if it had been the JPS plane? That would have been very cool offer!
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Richard Parramint, who many will know from being MC at various LOG meets, actually had the job of installing the decals to the rear glass. I have no idea whether these were only put on cars that sold with the plane and bike, or if they more generally appeared on Plus 2’s. I thought it would be a great chat to have with Richard when we all get together again.
Thanks for sharing this. The document in my original post was from Richard, who shared it on LinkedIn this morning.

Reactions: brgelise
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.