The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone still thinking that it would be awfully nice of Lotus to offer an Alcantara option from the factory? Nothing too elaborate would be required, just replace what was cloth in the L.A. Auto Show cars with Alcantara.
[Edit]On second thought, Alcantara inserts, in the middle of the seat, makes more sense to me...ala Audi S4 [/Edit]

Alan over in Roadfly had started a thread appealing for 1) colored soft tops (red, green, blue, etc) and 2) alcantara. Show your support here or hop over there and do the same.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
i would simply like for anything available in the rest of the world to be available here. It makes NO sense for Lotus not to let us have things they already make.

On this specific issue, yes i would probably order alcantara.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Vantage said:
Anyone still thinking that it would be awfully nice of Lotus to offer an Alcantara option from the factory? Nothing too elaborate would be required, just replace what was cloth in the L.A. Auto Show cars with Alcantara.

Otherwise, is Sector 111 planning to offer something? I notice their parter Hanger 111 from the U.K. already has some bits...
ooooh, ooooh, ooooh me. I want Alcantara. I also email eliseparts.com and they said that they offer some after market Alcantara...
"We will do but not for at least 6 months after production & similar
prices as S1.

Cheers
Geary
www.eliseparts.com"

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'd endorse the Alacantara/Ultrasuede insert approach. I was even considering looking into how much it would cost for an upholsterer to do an Alacantara "overlay" on top of the stock seat material. (I'm not at all sure that it's a good idea, but worth a few calls, perhaps.)

But isn't really a bit late to keep adding to our "wishlist"?

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AuS4 said:

But isn't really a bit late to keep adding to our "wishlist"?
Due to supplier and planning issues, you could be right. What I do know is that it can be specified in the U.K. and not here. Does anyone know if it actually costs less to upholster a seat in alcantara rather than leather (assuming proper planning)? It seems to be a no-cost option most of the time.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I'm in for alcantera. I've loved it on the S4 and it looks great. On the issue of colored tops, aside from the blue (ala metropol blue on Porsche) they don't age well and look goofy. So you might want to be careful.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I love the look of Alcantara. However, is it more difficult upkeep than leather? I'm thinking not, but checking anyway.

Anybody remembers the leather options from Lotus, they recommend using Hide Food to condition it. This makes the car smell like a petting zoo, and is difficult to make sure you've rubbed it all in. Inevitably you'll get some on your clothes, yuck.

Barry

·
Registered
68 Posts
To each their own.

I certainly don't care if Lotus offers it as an option, but I certainly do NOT want it in my car.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Had alcantera on the steering wheel of my caterham, one year in the georgia sun and the red faded to a lovely shade of orange.
Keep the alcan, I'll take the leather, much easier to keep in good shape (in my own experience)
Chris

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Had alcantera on the steering wheel of my caterham, one year in the georgia sun and the red faded to a lovely shade of orange.
Keep the alcan, I'll take the leather, much easier to keep in good shape (in my own experience)
Chris
Look in the bright side. At least it didn't fade to pink. I have a friend who put an anodized red Micron exhaust on his black and red flames R1 and the pipe turned pink.

Isn't Alcantara traditionally a real leather suede and the one that Lotus uses is a synthetic microfiber ultrasuede? Kinda like the stuff on sofas? After sitting on the synthetic stuff you could really feel it grip but I felt warmer than usual. It seems to retain heat.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
actually, at this stage of the waiting game, wouldn't care if the seats came covered in camel foreskin!:D

Chris

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I comprendo now!

Alcantara and Ultrasuede are registered brands and they are both synthetic microfiber suedes. I thought Alcantara was real suede. Duh. Analogous to how people use the term Klennex and tissue.

actually, at this stage of the waiting game, wouldn't care if the seats came covered in camel foreskin!
That's nasty! How many camel foreskins would it take to cover 1 seat? LOL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts