The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Call me lazy, call me inquizative, but I'm looking for a better way to tie down our cars for towing. I've got buddies with much heavier cars like Vipers and Cobras that have front and rear chassis mounted hooks for a quick and easy tie down, while I'm stuck tying down each wheel.

I haven't been able to think of any good alternative for the front, but I was thinking for the rear that a small hook, held between the two 13mm bolts underneath the rear diffuser would work. I'm mean, they are used for the Boomerang tow hook to pull our cars out of the track, couldn't we come up with a way to use the same bolts for a tie down?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
It would probably hold, but I'd be a bit worried about the stress from the bouncing. The tires have bounce built in, those bolts don't.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would probably hold, but I'd be a bit worried about the stress from the bouncing. The tires have bounce built in, those bolts don't.
Hmmm, but wouldn't the tires and dampers act as well..., dampers?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Additionally, when used as a "tow hook" those bolts only have to withstand a rolling load equivalent to the weight of the car (rolling). The stresses/loads it would experience if used as a tie down would be/could be several times the weight of the car.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I'd suggest taking a loot at the car hauling trailers that U-Haul rents, they trap the front wheels with speed-bump like features at the bottom, then have a wheel net to hold it all in place. Seems like a safe way to go (though not as good as the wheel tie-down).

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Additionally, when used as a "tow hook" those bolts only have to withstand a rolling load equivalent to the weight of the car (rolling). The stresses/loads it would experience if used as a tie down would be/could be several times the weight of the car.
True, I just see these other guys at the track tying down their cars in about 12 seconds.

It'd be nice.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
True, I just see these other guys at the track tying down their cars in about 12 seconds.

It'd be nice.
options:
1. hire a pit crew for unload/load duties
2. roll the car into the trailer and then blow in foam peanuts to full the void
3. drive your laps faster to make up for you paddock deficiencies
or 4. suck it up, strap the car in properly and get home a few minutes later with car intact.

:D

·
Registered
856 Posts
options:
or 4. suck it up, strap the car in properly and get home a few minutes later with car intact.

If you try option #2 please post some video for us. :wave:

·
Registered
274 Posts
There is not a real place for proper strap down points. Like said before, the tires are the best choice for this.

I was however wondering the strength of the tow eyes as related to the additional weight of pulling up onto a flatbed for towing if the car was unable to drive up.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
options:

Tried all of the above ace, didn't care for them.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Just roll the car into place, then squeeze a drop of crazy glue on the contact patch of each tire.

xtn

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I'm glad to see everone is on board with my idea. Will post picks later. PM me if you all would like to buy a kit for $900.:D

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
I think it sounds like a great idea. The worse that could happen is that your car falls off the trailer at 55mph and hits a bus filled with orphans and nuns...and what are the odds of that?? :D

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
I think it sounds like a great idea. The worse that could happen is that your car falls off the trailer at 55mph and hits a bus filled with orphans and nuns...and what are the odds of that?? :D
57.685 to one against ( hey, I spent a lot of time figuring that out ! )

1 - 20 of 36 Posts