1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
that looks fantastic. good luck!

·
Registered
160 Posts
What are the negatives of the S4S? This car is pretty close to me, but I have always been afraid of the Espirit reliablity? Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Biggest problem, without having seen the car personally, would be it's been sitting for way too long. I'd be looking for rotted fuel vent lines, (the originals were made of surgical rubber which gas will destroy), rusted tanks, dry rotted vacuum lines, for starters.
This car is not even broken in and as such needs a bit of TLC for a while.
I would also be weary of the main seals and half shaft seals. Again, the car has sat for a long time and not been driven.
The original clutch red line hose needs to be looked at carefully as well.

To the seller, please do not take this as a statemnet of condition of your car.
I am just stating potential problem areas that I would be looking at if I were considering to buy a car like this one.

The car looks good, and to find one with that low mileage is a find indeed.
Hopefully all is well and as in good condition as it looks in the photos.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
What are the negatives of the S4S? This car is pretty close to me, but I have always been afraid of the Espirit reliablity? Any thoughts appreciated.
With regards to Esprit reliability, the Esprit can be a very reliable car if a little extra care and preventative maintanance is applied.
My car is an 89, has 92+k miles and if I had known then what I know now could have been listed as a trouble free car.
Esprits do best when driven regularly and driven with finese'. Heavy handed ownership will result in trips to the shop.
As with any car there are some problem areas, but if they are known and anticipated the Esprit can be a great car.

There is an Esprit in Europe that has over 200k on it without the engine having ever been rebuilt. It's all a matter of owner care.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts