The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I sat in and drove an Elise today for the first time. The latter was great, the former traumatizing. I am 6' 3" , mostly legs, and with the top in place I had a ridiculously challenging time getting in and out. I knew it would be tough, but actually doing it made me realize that as much as I have waited for the car to come to the U.S. and land in my garage, it just isn't for me. I am #16 on the list at the Collection in Miami. I chose a base Saffron car. I can either give up the contract or buy the car, no transfer. If I let it go, it lands in the showroom. So, if anybody wants a base saffron which should arrive this year, let me know. [email protected]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought about the gullwing and tried getting in and out with the top off. It's obviously easier, but I already have minor neck and back issues that my Boxster exacerbate a little, so I could only imagine what the Elise will do to them.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
i'm possibly interested. will they sell it at MSRP? If you bought it and then i bought from you we'd both have to pay sales tax, which would be pretty stupid. If not at MSRP, do you have any idea what they will ask for it?

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Dont you only have to pay sales tax IF the car is licensed? Meaning, if he never licenses the car, then the tax would not be paid until you bought the car!

It might be tricky to do it that way, but legally I cant see why it would be a problem.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
At least in Georgia, the original purchaser only pays the sales tax, if you buy it from the original purchaser, you don't have to pay sales tax as it's a private transaction, thought it was that way in all states>
Chris

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
In CA, anytime there is a transfer of ownership and a sales transaction, sales tax is paid. I think it should be illegal. It's a double tax.
Same thing here in IL... it's ridiculous.

I've heard that by the time a car ends up in a junk yard, the tax paid on it is usually higher than the car's original value.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol. funny, that's exactly how i think about stuff. New Elise $43,000 OR 60 root canals!

·
Registered
758 Posts
SMYLGR8 said:
lol. funny, that's exactly how i think about stuff. New Elise $43,000 OR 60 root canals!
$43,000 or 60 root canals .. hmmm .. kinda like asking 'cake or death ?' .. cake please :)

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
IRS always wants their pound of flesh, in this case it's in the form of sales tax on
purchases. Whatever the sales tax rate is in your state, that is the computing agent you're supposed to use, listing the transaction on your tax return for this year, filed next year. If they notice, years down the road, that it wasn't paid then
major penalties will have acrued which you are responsible for.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
IRS always wants their pound of flesh, in this case it's in the form of sales tax on
purchases. Whatever the sales tax rate is in your state, that is the computing agent you're supposed to use, listing the transaction on your tax return for this year, filed next year. If they notice, years down the road, that it wasn't paid then
major penalties will have acrued which you are responsible for.
I've never reported a car sale on any income tax returns

·
Registered
970 Posts
SMYLGR8 said:

I hate you!...:)....why didnt I go into dentistry??...:mad: :confused: :mad: .

any field in medicine that takes creditcards and accepts cash is the field I should have pursued...:)...I have a 4 yo daughter that Im trying to convince into becoming a dentist but she said to me the other day "I want to pick up garbage when I get bigger"...now how the hell is she supposed to pay for my Elise when Im old and gray???

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I am 6'-4" and yes there is a little twisting to get in but I feel fine in the car. I guess it's all about leg length/ trunk length though. I can't wait, I've driven two and ridden in one as late as today and the car works for me.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm 6'2" and it ain't pretty to watch me get out of my Elise either... but I deal, cuz I love the car :)

And I tend to slouch a bit down in the seat so that my hair isn't in the jet stream that flows over the windshield- but it kills my back after a little while. Even after I give up on the hair and sit up straight. Anyone else have this problem with their lower back? Someone said I should put a folded up towel in the bucket to flatten out the seat...

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
mact3333 said:
I have a 4 yr daughter that Im trying to convince into becoming a dentist but she said to me the other day "I want to pick up garbage when I get bigger"...now how the hell is she supposed to pay for my Elise when Im old and gray???
If she dresses up wearing provacative clothing and drives around in the Elise when she gets older, I'm sure she will have no problem picking up garbage. Some might even offer to pay her money:eek:

I wouldnt mine picking up some trashy girls in mine:D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts