The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Elise
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shocked at how hard my Elise rolls - those tires are looking tight to the fender (my fronts are WAY oversized, and my rears are upsized too on LSS wheels) - after I do a front bar for the beginning of next season will need to see if SST is a real thing or if I wanna just stay in AS - pics were not even in that hard of a sweeper lol

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Land vehicle

·
Premium Member
2007 Elise
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to a BWR hardcore adjustable bar with InoKinetic Racetech adjustable shocks with LSS springs to stay in AS. Totally transforms the car and still legal.

Question - what's with the tape over the lights?
I’ve read a direct cone hit can flex the clam and cause the blinker to pop out - and then just trying to protect the side markers

how do you like the racetechs?I know BWR has done AS legal penskes before - though not sure if Fred would still do em, or if he could do them in a single adjustable format (to give me less knobs to turn)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm very happy with the Racetech's, although I don't have much to compare them to. I've not messed with the damping at all since installing them. But the change from the stock (non-LSS) setup is just flat astonishing. I've done all the LSS upgrades and with the new bar and shocks, the car is truly transformed. No more snap oversteer and I just love the way it feels - way more controllable and fun at the limit.

·
Premium Member
2007 Elise
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm very happy with the Racetech's, although I don't have much to compare them to. I've not messed with the damping at all since installing them. But the change from the stock (non-LSS) setup is just flat astonishing. I've done all the LSS upgrades and with the new bar and shocks, the car is truly transformed. No more snap oversteer and I just love the way it feels - way more controllable and fun at the limit.
thats great to hear, my car is an LSS car from factory, so it would be a bar and damper change for me only

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Wow! Great to see guys having a try at Autocross in stock/street class!

Definitely a +1 for bigger front bar, as noted, it really makes the rear much more controllable.

I hope more Lotus show up at SCCA Nationals!
I went back a bit too early prep wise, there is still more to do and I'm slowly trying it.
But this past weekend I tried 3 different frontsets and made some significant shock changes.
Too much at once, BUT the shock changes worked!
My arch Porsche Rival that I've been 8 tenths to over a second behind at tours here had new tires. Mine were from June... high speed, his PDK transmission kicked my but there on what could have been 2 3rd gear parts.

Well, I finished less than 4 tenths behind him!
VERY HAPPY.

(PS- side note, the fuel tank replacement WORKS. Will update other thread, but had a true acid test this weekend and really amazing)

Keep it up!!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Though not sure if Fred would still do em, or if he could do them in a single adjustable format (to give me less knobs to turn)
I'd be willing to bet @fzust would sell you set and could likely do them in a single adjustable configuration.

I tried both the BWR S/T bar and the Hardcore bar. Both we usable, but I had a bit more confidence in my setup with the S/T bar. Others might find the Hardcore more confidence inspiring - it's really just up to you, your setup and what enables you to go as fast as possible.

·
Premium Member
2007 Elise
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! Great to see guys having a try at Autocross in stock/street class!

Definitely a +1 for bigger front bar, as noted, it really makes the rear much more controllable.

I hope more Lotus show up at SCCA Nationals!
I went back a bit too early prep wise, there is still more to do and I'm slowly trying it.
But this past weekend I tried 3 different frontsets and made some significant shock changes.
Too much at once, BUT the shock changes worked!
My arch Porsche Rival that I've been 8 tenths to over a second behind at tours here had new tires. Mine were from June... high speed, his PDK transmission kicked my but there on what could have been 2 3rd gear parts.

Well, I finished less than 4 tenths behind him!
VERY HAPPY.

(PS- side note, the fuel tank replacement WORKS. Will update other thread, but had a true acid test this weekend and really amazing)

Keep it up!!
I would love to go to Nationals just to at least experience it once - I'm not technically AS legal right now tho as I swapped my diffuser (my local guys don't care) - I did keep the stock one though so it would be an easy swap back

I'd be willing to bet @fzust would sell you set and could likely do them in a single adjustable configuration.

I tried both the BWR S/T bar and the Hardcore bar. Both we usable, but I had a bit more confidence in my setup with the S/T bar. Others might find the Hardcore more confidence inspiring - it's really just up to you, your setup and what enables you to go as fast as possible.
Yeah I was thinking of staying with the "softer" S/T bar, as the car does see some street usage - the Penskes would be a next year project/spend for sure - though i am leaning that way regardless, as the reviews of how it changes the car are nothing but stellar.

I also need to burn through these 660's so I can get correct sizing - 215/45's on the front LSS wheels is not ideal (have 235/45's rear)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I've tried both bars and I have to agree the S/T bar is probably the way to go like @jdawson said. I think maybe Hoosiers or some giant fronts might warrant the hardcore. (I may also try on track pack springs on Exige.. but that's a different car..)

On the LSS wheels I think the 215s RT660s are a good choice up front, but I would opt for the 245/40/17 on the rear. Better gearing and bit more traction to tame the rear. (Your gearing changed with those 235s and not in your favor)

·
Premium Member
2007 Elise
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've tried both bars and I have to agree the S/T bar is probably the way to go like @jdawson said. I think maybe Hoosiers or some giant fronts might warrant the hardcore. (I may also try on track pack springs on Exige.. but that's a different car..)

On the LSS wheels I think the 215s RT660s are a good choice up front, but I would opt for the 245/40/17 on the rear. Better gearing and bit more traction to tame the rear. (Your gearing changed with those 235s and not in your favor)
yep, I for sure can feel how long 2nd gear is now - there was a big mix up and a whole thing with how I ended up with the tire sizes that are on there - interesting that you think the 215's are ok on the fronts, Falken doesnt list the front LSS wheel as wide enough to support the 215 - they are a little bulgy

·
Registered
237 Posts
The only input I can add is congrats on being willing to autocross your rarer Elise. I think that’s harder on the car than tracking it and I don’t have the gonads for it. I’m afraid the cones would take out big chunks of the body, leaving a trail of fiberglass!

·
Premium Member
2007 Elise
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only input I can add is congrats on being willing to autocross your rarer Elise. I think that’s harder on the car than tracking it and I don’t have the gonads for it. I’m afraid the cones would take out big chunks of the body, leaving a trail of fiberglass!
This was pretty much a dead straight on hit with these cones the first time I took my car autocrossing, no damage, not even a scuff (you can see I used to go MUCH more ham with the tape in an effort to protect the clam, and have since backed down):
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

I was for sure still learning the car here and was not prepared for how fast it can turn in compared to other cars I have ran. Having a bottle of Mothers Race Rubber Remover on hand helps if you do get cone marks (takes it pretty much right off) and unless the cones are frozen, or for some other reason rock hard, it really shouldn't damage the clam at all.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
yep, I for sure can feel how long 2nd gear is now - there was a big mix up and a whole thing with how I ended up with the tire sizes that are on there - interesting that you think the 215's are ok on the fronts, Falken doesnt list the front LSS wheel as wide enough to support the 215 - they are a little bulgy
I say that with a "little" caution as I tried looking on the Tire Rack website and your size tire is currently missing a dimension in the specs. Per SCCA street rules since I "went away" for a while, you can do a +/- 1 inch diameter wheel change. After a lot of looking and reading, I opted to run 15x6.5" fronts. On those wheels I have been running the Yokohama A052s in the 205/50/15 flavor.
I say all this because this past weekend I was testing different front tire sizes and brands. Among them was a 225/45/15 RT 660s. Since the Yokos run large, the 225 RT 660s are virtually identical (fractionally larger).
In the old days, massive "pinched" tires worked on cars... I wanted to see if that was still the case. I think it may be true... just a lack of "feel".

If you are interested in a fairly inexpensive test, these (with a 10-15mm spacer to be legal- plus longer bolts) to be street legal are what I've been using. Light and cheap. silver and black out there too.

Reactions: Devilstar

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I agree with @Devilstar , some tape and care and cold days are the only real concern. Adding a bigger front bar "before" going out will greatly reduce the spin tendency. Although thankfully I hit few cones, I do hit them at times at a good clip.
All the damage on the car is from prior to my purchase. I have more issues driving my car in and out of my driveway.

I use GooGone to remove any cone marks.

·
Premium Member
2007 Elise
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah on the cone subject, my wife spun through the finish, side swiping 5 cones, and it didn't even leave a mark - a Miata then missed his red flags, spun in the same spot, and took out more - thankfully he spun in a different direction than we did - that was a pucker moment and then caused the safeties to change the ending elements

I say all this because this past weekend I was testing different front tire sizes and brands. Among them was a 225/45/15 RT 660s. Since the Yokos run large, the 225 RT 660s are virtually identical (fractionally larger).
Oh I have for sure been following your build/threads as you are providing great information for others to follow - wheels are likely last on my list of upgrades (and then again, a lot of it depends on what SCCA does with the proposed SST class) - but having all your testing to fall back on is awesome.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm happy with the BWR hardcore bar in it's middle setting. I think there is enough adjustability in it to "soften" it up if it's a bit too much push. For me, with the Racetech shocks and LSS springs, it's about perfect. Running RE71s on LSS wheels - 205/45-16 and 245/40-17. Although I have to say my objective is to have fun and play with the car - if I place well, great, but nearing old-fartdom, I'm far from the fastest shoe out there these days :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I went to a BWR hardcore adjustable bar with InoKinetic Racetech adjustable shocks with LSS springs to stay in AS. Totally transforms the car and still legal.
I have this same setup. Just put the Racetech shocks on 2 days ago. What settings are you using for autocrossing with them ? I tried them on the street yesterday and they are significantly more enjoyable than the stock LSS shocks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have this same setup. Just put the Racetech shocks on 2 days ago. What settings are you using for autocrossing with them ? I tried them on the street yesterday and they are significantly more enjoyable than the stock LSS shocks.
I have them set right in the middle as a starting point - have not played with the settings on them yet. I would be interested in your experience if you get to tweaking them. Totally agree - "significantly more enjoyable" is a good summary! I set the ride height to the same as the LSS, so there is a bit of room to lower it also.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have them set right in the middle as a starting point - have not played with the settings on them yet. I would be interested in your experience if you get to tweaking them. Totally agree - "significantly more enjoyable" is a good summary! I set the ride height to the same as the LSS, so there is a bit of room to lower it also.
I got to autocross on them yesterday at our last local event. Wow, amazing difference from the LSS shocks. I did not prepare much for the event and therefore attempted to adjust them from my street setting once at the site [ with no tools ] which was a bad idea :). I managed to get the fronts set to 15 clicks from full hard [ which was suggested in another thread I believe ] but was unable to get the rears changed from their initial setting of 20 clicks from full hard. I was running on 80 run Yokohamas A052s, 2nd softest hole on the sway bar and it felt really good and I had my best outing of the year. Seemed like I was able to attack the fast slaloms on course with better precision and was able to get
to apexes a bit easier. The ride home was still pretty good compared to the normal LSS crashing so I would say an overall win.

The only negative so far is I seem to have lost some ride height in the rear, maybe ? Downside is I think I am getting slightly more contact between the Yoks and the fender liners/body. The only ride height hide controls seems like the circlip settings on the lower spring perch so unless I put the circlip on the wrong groove I dont know what exactly is going on. Have to take another look at it I guess ...

Looking forward to a real test and tune in the spring when I can explore the settings some more !

good luck
John

·
Registered
74 Posts
I got to autocross on them yesterday at our last local event. Wow, amazing difference from the LSS shocks. I did not prepare much for the event and therefore attempted to adjust them from my street setting once at the site [ with no tools ] which was a bad idea :). I managed to get the fronts set to 15 clicks from full hard [ which was suggested in another thread I believe ] but was unable to get the rears changed from their initial setting of 20 clicks from full hard. I was running on 80 run Yokohamas A052s, 2nd softest hole on the sway bar and it felt really good and I had my best outing of the year. Seemed like I was able to attack the fast slaloms on course with better precision and was able to get
to apexes a bit easier. The ride home was still pretty good compared to the normal LSS crashing so I would say an overall win.

The only negative so far is I seem to have lost some ride height in the rear, maybe ? Downside is I think I am getting slightly more contact between the Yoks and the fender liners/body. The only ride height hide controls seems like the circlip settings on the lower spring perch so unless I put the circlip on the wrong groove I dont know what exactly is going on. Have to take another look at it I guess ...

Looking forward to a real test and tune in the spring when I can explore the settings some more !

good luck
John
Question - don't your shocks have adjustable spring perches? I set mine at the same height as the original LSS shocks, but it's (relatively) easy to change the ride height. I do have some rubbing in the rear, more on the right than left. But I'm not sure it's much different than it was before the new shocks/LSS springs. I changed out from non-LSS shocks/springs.

This is the set I bought: https://www.inokinetic.com/eliseexi...n-single-adjustable-kbgwd?category=Suspension

1 - 20 of 25 Posts