The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got a shipment of orange carbon/Kevlar hybrid twill weave, and I'm eager to make a chin spoiler, spiltter, roof or something to see what it would look like on an orange Exige!
orange carbon.jpg

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
ohhh cool!

Somebody order something. This would look HOT!:D

·
Registered
744 Posts
Holy woot!! I hope this is for real, and happens! Just the past few days I've been looking at my car and really wanting the Reverie chin spoiler (factory style), but is carbon fiber and I love the solid-color look of my 07 Exige S, and I do not want to disturb it. If I got black c/f splitter than I'd have to take it elsewhere on the car for balance, losing even more color.

Since I can't seem to find another option, I've just been waiting it out.

If it were OEM style, matched my chrome orange, and a direct-fit replacement I'd be interested. I'd want to see it on a car first of course, but I'm very insterested. Just want to make sure it doesn't look "checkered". :p

And ya, what's it weigh ya think?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Standard Lotus question...

Is the kevlar/carbon weave heavier than regular cf?
Carbon Kevlar (what was used a lot on my car) is light but VERY strong.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hey Mike design us a new wing that is cheaper than the Reverie, Less curved , and less wide, Uses the stock mounting points and I would order one!
more like this.

Who makes that spoiler?

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
How about us lowly Elise's ??

·
Registered
255 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New wing option will be coming out next week. It involves an upper wing element derived from (get this) Ayrton Senna's Toleman F2 car. (yes, we've got molds for the whole car and yes, Senna is God). It ties the stock wing into the assembly via the end plates and stabilizes the whole assembly on the back of the rear clam. Very solid fix.

I make two different versions of the chin spoiler, both without the lunch box feature. One with a notch like what you're used to seeing and one without the notch, (constant radius). $450.00 for either one, and I can ship within a week.

The carbon/Kevlar is the same weight as typical 3k weave, (5.7oz) so in theory if the layers were the same, the weight should also be the same.

Kevlar is used in composites for abrasion resistance and for keeping a composite panel from shattering on the race track, along with tons of other reasons. In this case it's strictly for the coolness factor.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Pics Mike? I'm very interested. But I'd like to see what the chin spoiler looks like, off the car and installed.

Thx! This sounds pretty cool. And if it looks the way I hope, at least us orange guys have another option for a chin spoiler that doesn't require a trip to the paint shop. :clap:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All I've got are the molds right now. Every piece is made to order, I don't inventory anything.

There's a thread posted by one of my customers with the full radius chin spoiler, and a separate thread with Tomasio's notched chin spoiler. I'l try to locate the threads and link to them.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Thank you for the links. I wanted to see the actual orange colored carb/kev chin spoiler though. I know what it would look like in black. :p

I'll just wait until someone installs it and takes a pic and posts it. I guess I'd be concerned that, based on the pics on those two links, that it might look like black/orange checkers or stripes, rather than a somewhat solid-orange color.

I'd be 100% down for that notched chin-spoiler though if it looks right.

How hard is it to apply clearcoated body color to this material? I know painting c/f can be tough. Same story here?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Painting carbon is difficult if it's just raw carbon and resin. In the case of these chin spoilers, there's a clear non-yellowing gelcoat on the outside. If your desire was to put coats of blasphemous paint on my lovely work, it's simply a matter of scuffing it first with some scotch brite. Essentially that layer of gelcoat is your primer coat.

Your fear of painting carbon is real, just not with anything gelcoated.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts