Votes: 16 66.7%
  • Nope - My Elise will do just fine!!

Votes: 8 33.3%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like many of us own a Mazda Miata. I'm keeping mine...can't see my Elise as a "replacement".

Curious to hear from all the Miata owners out there to see who is keeping and who is getting rid of theirs??:eek:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Keeping one (my '90 project car, as my winter/foul weather rat, which is its current status) and selling the other (my '99 10th Anniversary Special Edition). Although not at the leading edge of the performance envelope with the Elise, my Miatas are still an almost perfect blend of power, steering response, finesse, synaptic transmission, and progressive braking; it's the balance of all driver inputs that makes them special. So, I would be hard pressed not to retain one. But, the Elise promises to be equally balanced (except perhaps for the transmission linkage, although I haven't experienced it under power yet) AND pushing the performance envelope for each parameter AND smaller AND lighter AND simpler. Almost too good to be true. :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've had my Miata since 1990. Not about to give it up now. My wife and I fight over it all the time (in spite of the S4, NSX, RSX-S and Z8 in the garage). It is the best car we own.

OK, I'm a little biased. We have 4 more Miatas as race cars...

My Miata is in the middle of a (very) special transformation. I'll post some details when it is done.

Ara

·
Registered
249 Posts
Already sold my '90 (bought new) in anticipation of the Liz. At least it was to a brother, so possibly retrievable. But, pertaining to a different thread, I have really been looking into alternative replacements and always come back to Lotus. Why???

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,639 Posts
We need a third option in the poll for 'Haven't decided yet.'

I just picked up a very nice '90 B package that I was going to drive for the summer until my Elise gets here in September, but now after just a week of driving it I may decide to keep it as a wet weather car. It's just too sweet of a car to turn around and sell.

I dunno.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I had four miatas up till about 6 months ago. I sold all of them except one, my favorite toy, a 94 R with "mods". :)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I'm keeping my 1990 until it decides to die, but I plan to drive the Elise as much as possible. I'd be willing to sell the Miata, but I doubt that there is much of a market for a car with 345,000+ miles on it.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
ElisED said:
I wouldn't think of giving up my 94R.
I'm keeping my '94 R too. It will either be my "foul weather" sports car, or one of my kids will "steal" it - both are wanting it.

There does seem to be a pattern in this list for '94 Rs...:wave:

My Elan will never be sold. My wife keeps asking: "Why do you need three convertible sports cars?"

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
TimMullen said:
My wife keeps asking: "Why do you need three convertible sports cars?"

Tim Mullen
I just ask my wife, why do you need so many purses, or rings, or teddy bears, or dolls, ...

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,639 Posts
I got to thinking: if for some reason the Elise falls through for me, I'd be very happy just taking my '90 Miata down to Flyin Miata and getting:

FM II turbo system
FM turbo exhaust
FM clutch and flywheel package
FM suspension with shocks, springs, sway bars and shock tower brace
Hard Dog rollbar
6 point harnesses
FM Big Brake kit
15" SSR Comp wheels with Toyo T1-S tires
all the latest chassis braces
and a Valentine 1 radar detector!

·
Registered
148 Posts
sell my Miata??

How can you even say such a thing????

Actually, I contemplated selling my '93 stock Miata when the Elise gets here.... but why? I'll only get a few thousand for it and I'll be getting rid of one of the funnest, most reliable cars I've ever owned. I'll probably start upgrading the Miata with suspension and engine stuff but sell it??? Never!

Jose Soriano

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I voted "yes" but I haven't really decided yet. It might be nice to keep the '99 Sport as a "winter beater", but an '89 Civic Si could be cool too! It depends on how much I can get for the Miata once I have the Elise.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Actually, keeping a Miata is a good thing. We are buying a Lotus - we will need a "backup car" for when the Lotus is not working...:huh:

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
758 Posts
MickOpalak said:
I got to thinking: if for some reason the Elise falls through for me, I'd be very happy just taking my '90 Miata down to Flyin Miata and getting:

FM II turbo system
FM turbo exhaust
FM clutch and flywheel package
FM suspension with shocks, springs, sway bars and shock tower brace
Hard Dog rollbar
6 point harnesses
FM Big Brake kit
15" SSR Comp wheels with Toyo T1-S tires
all the latest chassis braces
and a Valentine 1 radar detector!
Been there done a lot more than that...

See link below...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yes, I'm keeping my '99 that I've had for 5 1/2 years. It's been so fun to drive and reliable, I can't imagine parting with it. I can drop the top in about 5 seconds, so the car is near-instant stress relief for me. The Elise may be more fun to drive overall, but it doesn't replicate the feeling you get from driving a true convertible.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I already did - it was part of the bargain with the wife (and she was right). I just wished I hadn't sold it so early; track days have been ticking by with no Elise & no Miata. Bummer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts