The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a separate thread about a special oil change special at a local dealership. Some have discussed whether or not it is worth the higher price at the dealership vs doing it yourself. I wanted everyone to know that taking my car to a real Lotus mechanic was certainly worth it for me. This last week I brought my car to Lotus of Beverly Hills to Allen S. While doing the service Allen checked my toe links brake pads rotors etc. Then he noticed that my rear most engine mount had collapsed. That the front mount was off center and at an odd angel which led him to the top engine mounting point. Which was not there at all. Had I changed the oil myself or brought my car to either a jiffy Lube or Toyota dealership I can confidently say this problem would have never have been discovered. Thank you Allen of Lotus Beverly Hills.

·
Registered
539 Posts
i have to agree with your statement.

I've pretty much always changed the oil myself on every other car I've owned.

But, with the lotus i feel more comfortable going to Quais' shop. (not a dealer, but a highly qualified lotus guy) Basically, for reasons similar to what you've listed. I feel comfortable that he'll be able to spot something out of the ordinary much better than i would. That little bit of piece of mind is worth a bit more money, IMO.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I feel while it is still under warranty, I would rather take my car to the dealer for all major service, because it is a bit more reassurance that issues will not be blamed on the user when they occur, and instead have a record of service to warranty off of.
When it is out, I will be doing all the work myself.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
i have to agree with your statement.

I've pretty much always changed the oil myself on every other car I've owned.

But, with the lotus i feel more comfortable going to Qais' shop. (not a dealer, but a highly qualified lotus guy) Basically, for reasons similar to what you've listed. I feel comfortable that he'll be able to spot something out of the ordinary much better than i would. That little bit of piece of mind is worth a bit more money, IMO.

Fixed the name for you :up: :D

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Mike, are you going to Eric in Portchester? He does a great job.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I wouldn't let this discourage anyone from changing their own oil.

The fact that new problems have arisen, been discussed, and shared with other owners just means that there are a few more details to pay attention to while the car is on stands and the engine tray is removed. Toe links, rotors, and now engine mounts. If we take our time, and are thorough, we should be fine.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
FYI, I have a great relationship with the service manager at Desert European Motorcars in Rancho Mirage, CA, my local dealer. I had them flush and bleed the brakes recently after going to Motul 600 brake fluid, as I was concerned about cycling the ABS correctly.

However, I like to do my own oil changes. The service manager suggested that I carefully copy receipts for filter and oil and keep a log so that if there is a warranty issue I can show I have kept service intervals current.

Good advice that.

Also, I always keep a log in a loose leaf notebook on all work done by me on both cars and bikes. It just makes a nice document over time, especially if selling a vehicle. (and it just might help a warranty argument....)
:up:

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I wouldn't let this discourage anyone from changing their own oil.

The fact that new problems have arisen, been discussed, and shared with other owners just means that there are a few more details to pay attention to while the car is on stands and the engine tray is removed. Toe links, rotors, and now engine mounts. If we take our time, and are thorough, we should be fine.

I think you're taking for granted that the person knows what they're looking at. Some things can be obvious, but others can easily be overlooked to the untrained eye.

·
Registered
361 Posts
eh, im fairly observant, and always go royal purple....It would cost me an arm and a leg at a dealership and I wouldnt even get royal.

·
Registered
566 Posts
In the Bay Area, there is no doubt in my mind that SVAG is the place to go. Jordan is a great service advisor and Nick is a great tech. They were always willing to spend time with me talking about anything and everything about the car. They are very detail oriented and will make sure that all issues are resolved before you take the car home. Their rates are also pretty good compared to other dealerships.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
thanx for the reassurance Jacob...im almost due for my 15K service, and would want either NE or LBH to do the work, since i discovered a few issues i need addressed

thanx!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I do my services myself, and am very thorough (including inspections of suspension, brakes and drive train). I have had the dealer screw up too many things on my car, which I then have to fix myself. Stupid stuff, like tightening the front lug bolts to well over 120 ft-lbs (I replaced them afterwards), scratching up the center console (I had painted it myself), saying they can't reproduce obvious problems that I had described to them in detail (like a sticking throttle - which I had to come back and demonstrate for them), and others. You should never assume that the dealer does everything right.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Hey ChrisH - where is the best place to get more [cheap] lugnuts? Doesn't hurt to replace them every so often..... thx

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
I do my services myself, and am very thorough (including inspections of suspension, brakes and drive train). I have had the dealer screw up too many things on my car, which I then have to fix myself. Stupid stuff, like tightening the front lug bolts to well over 120 ft-lbs (I replaced them afterwards), scratching up the center console (I had painted it myself), saying they can't reproduce obvious problems that I had described to them in detail (like a sticking throttle - which I had to come back and demonstrate for them), and others. You should never assume that the dealer does everything right.
^not unless you know and have a good relationship with the actual mechanic working on your car
+2. Not only do I assume my "dealer" does everything right, I (literally) place my life in their hands, without hesitation or pause. Allen and Stephen have trained in their profession for years, and know every part of the car blind. They optimize professionalism.

I know my way around this car as well as mostly anyone here. For those who think they can do an oil change, brakes, etc. and spot potential problems on the same level as these guys, I feel very confident in saying - you're wrong. Period. It's an insult to guys who have dedicated their life to the profession - and years to Lotus in particular - to say otherwise.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
So, what do you suggest when your closest techs are boobs and have done more damage to your car than good?

My dealer experiences mirror ChrisH's. I pay them $$$ to put my car into a position where I need to redo what they worked on to begin with and fix at least one problem that they created each time they touched it. Therefore, I do not trust the dealership to work on my car anymore :shrug:. This is after 3 trips to the dealer to fix damage done during my 1000mi service. With each trip something else happened progressively worse to my car. Since I've fixed the problems myself and have stopped going back my car is running quite nicely.

I guess I just need to move to Chicago and let TJ work on my car or CA and let the above mentioned techs work on it...

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
So, what do you suggest when your closest techs are boobs and have done more damage to your car than good?

My dealer experiences mirror ChrisH's. I pay them $$$ to put my car into a position where I need to redo what they worked on to begin with and fix at least one problem that they created each time they touched it. Therefore, I do not trust the dealership to work on my car anymore :shrug:. This is after 3 trips to the dealer to fix damage done during my 1000mi service. With each trip something else happened progressively worse to my car. Since I've fixed the problems myself and have stopped going back my car is running quite nicely.

I guess I just need to move to Chicago and let TJ work on my car or CA and let the above mentioned techs work on it...
Can't go wrong with TJ!
Move on out here, we'll make room.:D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts