The Lotus Cars Community banner

Does it seem like more Lotus cars are for sale lately?

• Yes. I agree that it seems there are more for sale lately.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • No. It seems like the usual amount for sale.

Votes: 45 76.3%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So I've only been a member here since 2006. In that time, I haven't noticed as many Lotus cars for resale as I've seen in the first few months of this year. Am I wrong? Is there not an inordinate amount of used Elises and Exiges for sale over the past few months? Is this a sign of the current economy, or am I just imagining things? Why does it seem like so many people are selling theirs lately? Do you agree?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The rate seems the same since I joined.:shrug:

even with the new models out...

·
Registered
682 Posts
Meh. I think it's more simple statistics - there's simply more cars here and it's still as purpose-built as it was when it first arrived. Lots buy for looks/bling factor then decide they can't actually live with its "quirks". My theory.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
It seems like a few more 05 owners are trying to unload just as their warranties are over.

To me, though, it seems like there are a lot more want to buy threads, all with folks looking to get into a near perfect, low mileage Elise with all options for $30K.

While some outrageous deals can be had for nice, low mileage cars from folks who have to sell (I just bought my 6000K 05 Elise loaded, FSH, good ECU, babied) from a couple who are both in the residential real estate business. Got a very, very satisfactory price. They wound up selling me the car for less than they owed, having to make up the difference out of their pocket. They were a perfect example of people who need to sell, as their business has gone to the dogs.

I don't know how many are really selling for $30K, short of the 'high' mileage and cars with stories. I'd say few low milege ones are. And some folks are holding back hardtops to sell separately to get their car down to a low 30's selling price.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Could also be market sucking? I've lost half the cost of an elise in the past 4 months :( Some may need that cash flow for various reasons

BUT I don't think theres many more for sale now than compared to a year ago (percentage wise to # of cars out there).. I will vote no

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I think it probaly ramps up as the next year's cars start coming out... I bet it'll start slowing down in a few months. Also, with several hundred active and thousands of inactive members, a few cars for sale each week is probably not that unusual.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Could also be market sucking? I've lost half the cost of an elise in the past 4 months :( Some may need that cash flow for various reasons

BUT I don't think theres many more for sale now than compared to a year ago (percentage wise to # of cars out there).. I will vote no
The market does suck but i haven't checked a year ago so i cant really choose sides:shrug:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
While some outrageous deals can be had for nice, low mileage cars from folks who have to sell (I just bought my 6000K 05 Elise loaded, FSH, good ECU, babied) from a couple who are both in the residential real estate business. Got a very, very satisfactory price. They wound up selling me the car for less than they owed, having to make up the difference out of their pocket. They were a perfect example of people who need to sell, as their business has gone to the dogs.
Holy moly :eek:, 6000K miles?? I think you've got the record of the most miles in an Elise! Or ANY vehicle for that matter.. maybe even the Shuttle! :D

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I think in the first year there were probably more people selling once the novelty wore off, as well as the group of people who put down deposits early on without having even had the opportunity to drive or even sit in one.
Especially for the breed of buyers who tend to always want the latest and greatest.

But I imagine now there's fewer of those people, and that there's simply more Elise's and Exiges out there, warranties expiring, as well as a number of peeps who've made their "final payments" and now feel it's safe to sell?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Meh. I think it's more simple statistics - there's simply more cars here and it's still as purpose-built as it was when it first arrived. Lots buy for looks/bling factor then decide they can't actually live with its "quirks". My theory.
agree 100% the posers really gotta go anyway so i dont mind rotfl

1 - 11 of 11 Posts