The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is this aftermarket? or an option from the dealer? IMO the smaller foglights look much much better than the standard big ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
You guys must be getting sick of me, but first of all.. These lights on the elise are *NOT* foglights!

They are driving lights and ony come on at the same time as the high beams. You'll search in vain for a 'foglight' switch!

These lights were the ones originally planned for the S2 and used on very early cars.

They sucked when looking at light output and did not pass european type approval rules.

So lotus went back to S1 style driving lights, which do work :) (thy are *not* the same as on the S1 though.. different construction and type)

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Arno, I too appreciate your take on things and enjoy reading your comments.

With regards to "fog lights". I think its just an american thing to call them fog lights.Just like when you called a flashlight a "torch"...just different terms. I know that actually this is a little different because the lotus lights are clear which does make them driving lights..but fog lights is kind of a catch all term here.

I have PIAA driving lights on my cars..I purchased driving lights because thats what I wanted. Driving lights. I know they're driving lights, not amber fogs, but in coversation sometimes I'll refer to them as fog lights just because Im so used to using that term.

I wouldnt worry too much about getting fog lights or driving lights for this car....there are a MILLION different styles and manufacturers available to choose from once you have your car, and they're not too hard to wire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fog lights and driving lights are different things as far as I'm aware, the driving lights on mine light up the road way ahead and would dazzle any driver for a long distance when they are on.

Fog lights tend to only light up the road ahead and are pointed in that direction.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
dwei42 said:
is this aftermarket? or an option from the dealer? IMO the smaller foglights look much much better than the standard big ones.
I personally think it looks better without either.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Beefcake said:
Fog lights and driving lights are different things as far as I'm aware, the driving lights on mine light up the road way ahead and would dazzle any driver for a long distance when they are on.

Fog lights tend to only light up the road ahead and are pointed in that direction.
Yes beefcake, they are. Thats what I said. Driving lights have different dispersion and colors from fogs, Im saying that in the US people tend to refer to all lights like that as "fog lights"......as a catch all term for both.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
Yes beefcake, they are. Thats what I said. Driving lights have different dispersion and colors from fogs, Im saying that in the US people tend to refer to all lights like that as "fog lights"......as a catch all term for both.
Pleeeeze don't dump all us "Americans" in the "don't-know-a-fog-from-a-driving" lamp bucket. We're not all dumb! :)

Fogs are fogs & Driving lamps are driving lamps - even the DOT and state DMVs have different regs for them. That means the cops know the difference...

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Arno said:
You guys must be getting sick of me
Not at all Arno, I too enjoy your comment. On this side of the pond actual elise drivers who drive the car (more than the lucky few with test drives) are very rare and your insight is appreciated.
On a different note, nice picture of the yellow, 1FM would appreciate me pushing the Saffron ;), it's a good shot with sunlight instead of artificial light.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I guess Im just a dumbass then because Ive referred to lights in the grill as simply "fogs" before when in conversation and I know very well the difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
khamai said:
Pleeeeze don't dump all us "Americans" in the "don't-know-a-fog-from-a-driving" lamp bucket. We're not all dumb! :)

Fogs are fogs & Driving lamps are driving lamps - even the DOT and state DMVs have different regs for them. That means the cops know the difference...

Kiyoshi

Dont worry, it seems most British dont realise what fog lights are for and seem to run them night and day no matter what the weather is! Especially annoying when your in a low sports cars and get dazzled enough as it is!

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
People do that here too. Dry weather, nice evening....fog lamps are on.

Whats worse are SUV owners ( and cars for that matter) who drive with just their driving lights on. 80% of which came from Pep Boys and are awful.

·
Registered
528 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
People do that here too. Dry weather, nice evening....fog lamps are on.

Whats worse are SUV owners ( and cars for that matter) who drive with just their driving lights on. 80% of which came from Pep Boys and are awful.
Amen to that. Especially RAISED SUV's with mis-pointed lights.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
My Spyder has actual "fog lights", which I run out in the country even on clear nights because they help illuminate suicide deer before I would normally see them. I don't think they blind other drivers because they really focus on close in front of the car and the out to the sides. These are definitely NOT driving lights. When I put my brights on, the fog lights by default go out. They only operate with lowbeams.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My bad. I refered to the lights as "foglights" because thats what the lights on my BMW's are. I have yet to own the elise, so i was not informed they were specifically "driving lights" instead of "foglights". But all in all, it seemed like my point got across and my question answered. Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts