The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - I'm new to the forum and wanted to ask this question...
I took an Elise for a ride and this car is absolutely fantastic. I'm ready to but.... But, when I compare cost, I can buy many other cars with as much performance (or nearly) and more luxury - such as a Boxter. What made you pick the Lotus over these other cars that are comparable in cost but have more features?

Thanks !

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
I took an Elise for a ride and this car is absolutely fantastic. I'm ready to but.... But, when I compare cost, I can buy many other cars with as much performance (or nearly) and more luxury - such as a Boxter. What made you pick the Lotus over these other cars that are comparable in cost but have more features?

Thanks !
Jumping in early...if you have to ask, then there is no reason for you to buy an Elise. There is no rational reason to.

Enjoy your Boxster.:shift:

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Ummm..... we're not going to even TRY & talk you into it. If you don't "GET" it....don't GET it.

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts

Thanks !
If its features you are after this is not the place to look!

Have a browse through here Hi, I am new here - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community which should provide more answers to your question.

:shift:

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Drive your "candidates" back to back, then you will know whether you want a Lotus or not.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
"Luxury"? What's that?

Seriously: if luxury means something to you, this isn't the car for you.

·
Registered
580 Posts
If you have to ask after having driven one, then you're probably outside the Lotus market envelope.

An Elise/Exige is not a car to compare with a Porsche, or a Corvette, or any other (relatively) heavy GT car. They are barren, simple, lightweight sports cars, and they are about the only common remaining example of what a sports car is in the world.

People who buy a Lotus do not cross shop satnav and seat heater options. They buy the car for the experience of driving it, which is entirely unlike any other road car made today.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Luxury? Shoot, 2 extra wheels and not needing to put my feet down at stoplights is a luxury to me. rotfl rotfl

·
Registered
393 Posts
I can't really say what hasn't been already said.. other than before I drove an Elise I was sold and ready to buy a Porsche... fully loaded Cayman S in fact. Then I drove the Elise... and it was a saaaaaad day for all.

at the Porsche dealership.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Oh....Joe....almost forgot: Welcome to the Forum!!!:clap:

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Let me turn your question around: why do you want one?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Don't buy Elise. It's horrible. Too low, Too bumpy, Too tight to get in and out. Too many attentions from teenage boys, Too expensive to maintain. Stay with Boxter. Better yet, try Hunday Genesis. Value sports car. :cool:

But I am keeping mine. No matter what.:nanner:

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm pretty sure this and the "how much Lotus can I afford" questions are weekly automated bots just to keep everyone on the Forums entertained.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
:) I think you are asking a reasonable question. Until I drove my Elise, I was sold on a used Porsche Cayman (not even an S) or a new BMW 128i with the M Sport package (and no other options other than a good exhaust, intake and maybe the ipod connector)

But I found my Elise for more than $10k cheaper than the other cars, it is faster, totally more awesome looking, very unique, and really, very easy to work on. Sure, you can't park it, it doesn't like the cold, the wet, or the 'hoods. But nor would a Cayman. So, after weighing the pros and cons (the pros outweighed the cons by a much larger margin than I expected) I bought the Elise.

Last night, after spending four hours with a friend changing the oil for the second time in two months, and the transmission oil (The first oil change flushed out a good amount of oil, but not the oil in the oil cooler, so did it again to really clean stuff out and use a K&N HP2009 filter) I took the car on a ride. 72 degrees out, 9:30pm, did a loop, Old Town Alexandria, up GW Parkway, over Memorial Bridge, onto Rockcreek Parkway, under tunnels to Whitehurst Freeway, up to M St, left on Canal Rd, along Potomac River to Chain Bridge, over the bridge, up 123 to the GW Parkway and back down the Parkway to home. What fun! No traffic, tunnels to set the cam off in, and people everywhere giving the car the thumbs up! This is why you want an Elise!

·
Registered
233 Posts
In the interest of continued exclusivity, I'd prefer no one buy any more Elises. They suck, move on. Nothing to see here.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I'm pretty sure this and the "how much Lotus can I afford" questions are weekly automated bots just to keep everyone on the Forums entertained.
It seems that way sometimes. We need a list of reasons not to buy one at the ready, including "If you have to ask why, you'll hate it", "You won't attract women, just teenage boys", and "No, dubs and spinners are not available for it".

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
So, can you tell me why you chose this over an ice cream truck? The ice cream truck has heated seats and way more storage.
And ice cream, which will attract the la-deezs!

/Yeah OK, mainly the large ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK...OK.... Got it. For the record, I completely agree - which is why I immediately took one for a ride. I got what I asked for - why you picked one over other cars. I appreciate the responses, and they show the commitment you guys have to them, and why I'm looking for one. Can I afford one? easy - it's not about price.... it's about choice. Thanks for the kind responses. I look forward to contributing more, once I'm "in the drivers seat" of mine!

·
Registered
571 Posts
...don't forget the noise level...ohhhhh that horrible throaty singing of that little engine behind you...terrible, just terrible...had to turn the Alpine up just to hear the music...and those horribly positioned speakers just off the side of my ear...no wonder my hearing is so messed up!

I never test drove anything else...well, I lied, I tested a Solstice when it came out a couple years back...and a Miata in like 1998ish...and then waited...and waited...and waited some more...and it was worth it.

In all seriousness, I will say it's a major pain in the a$$ for anyone else other than the driver to get in and out of the car - you might want to consider how often you will have passengers.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts