The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking a at buying a new car today online, and wanted something exotic and unique. I have had my eye on the maserati granturismo, but have seen at least one or two a day lately. Then I thought, how about a new lotus? I never see these in person! After doing some research, I can't for the life of me understand why someone would buy one...
$95k
Toyota Camry engine
All trim is plastic
On the lotus forum, countless people are talking about how "plastic body panels are warping," and "the double sided tape used to hold panels on keeps coming unstuck!"
Please someone explain to me why someone would buy this car? Please!
You can buy a Camry, and double sided tape a bunch of low quality plastic to it...
I really love the look of this car, but just don't understand. Not to mention the list of electric problems.. I'm not here to bash anyone on this forum. I am looking for someone to talk me into buying this!
I am on my way to the dealer at 2 today to test drive the evora a with 6sp and an ips.

Any help greatly appreciated

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you don't get it after driving it there's nothing anyone will say to change your mind. If you're looking for a car simply because it's exotic and rare, the Lotus is probably not for you.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I was looking a at buying a new car today online, and wanted something exotic and unique. I have had my eye on the maserati granturismo, but have seen at least one or two a day lately. Then I thought, how about a new lotus? I never see these in person! After doing some research, I can't for the life of me understand why someone would buy one...
$95k
Toyota Camry engine
All trim is plastic
On the lotus forum, countless people are talking about how "plastic body panels are warping," and "the double sided tape used to hold panels on keeps coming unstuck!"
You can buy a Camry, and double sided tape a bunch of low quality plastic to it...
I really love the look of this car, but just don't understand. Not to mention the list of electric problems.. I'm not here to bash anyone on this forum. I am looking for someone to talk me into buying this!
I am on my way to the dealer at 2 today to test drive the evora a with 6sp and an ips.

The car has had its issues but you are greatly overstating and exaggerating.

Your statement "On the lotus forum people are..." Well, you posted this ON the Lotus forum, so your post has the feel of something that has in whole or part been copied and pasted from and on other car forums. In other words, it has a 'troll' feel to it.

You can learn all you need to know about the Evora and the folks here who really love them and those who've had their issues simply by reading through the various threads and posts on this forum.

You've already got it in your head you don't like the Camry engine, the price/value (nobody pays $95K by the way) or the image of build quality...nobody is going to convince you otherwise.

Assuming you're not a troll, you might be better off heading over to the Maserati dealership instead.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
$95k
Toyota Camry engine
All trim is plastic

It would be interesting to hear your feedback after the test drive. With Lotus, you are paying for chassis and suspension - the things that don't "leap" out at you. Granted, the styling is also a huge draw for the Lotus - the exterior of the Maser looks plain in comparison IMHO. You also have to accept that the same widget from a small volume manufacturer is going to cost more than the same widget produced at higher volumes. As you've noticed, even a Maserati seems mass produced compared to a Lotus, so they amortize the costs over a higher production number.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you don't get it after driving it there's nothing anyone will say to change your mind. If you're looking for a car simply because it's exotic and rare, the Lotus is probably not for you.
Couldn't have said it better. Simply, nothing on the road handles like it.....and if you get Plack's exhaust.....well.....I'll put my Camry exhaust note against the Maser's any day of the week...and yes, I know how nice the Maser sounds.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
It would be interesting to hear your feedback after the test drive.
Do you really believe he's going over for a test drive?

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Do you really believe he's going over for a test drive?
No point in attacking a potential new guy until we know for sure. I prefer giving the benefit of the doubt when it doesn't cost anything to do so.

And there's no point in attacking him if he turns out to be a fraud. Ignoring him would be the best course of action in that case.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Couldn't have said it better. Simply, nothing on the road handles like it.....and if you get Plack's exhaust.....well.....I'll put my Camry exhaust note against the Maser's any day of the week...and yes, I know how nice the Maser sounds.
Uh, yeah. I would't do that. Nothing stock has a better exhaust note than a Maserrati, IMHO.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Uh, yeah. I would't do that. Nothing stock has a better exhaust note than a Maserrati, IMHO.
I agree the Maser sounds lovely....I prefer the Plack. Different strokes.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
A big +1
Looks more like a troll post to me :no:
If you have not driven the car you will never understand :facepalm

suggest a "P" car or a Lambo for him

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
You shouldn't. Buy something else. I'm not taking the bait.

·
Registered
545 Posts
The Evora is displaying a horrible quality level and got better with every garage visit. Engine would be great with a intercooler for the supercharged model, not available, just a bog standard Camry engine marched with a diesel gearbox. Gearbox not up to highest standards anyway.

Still..... no alternative in sight for me.

2 golfbags, 4 travel / sport bags, wifey, 2 weeks holiday... DONE.
Trackday on Corsas, going home on same wheels with same tires. DONE.
500 miles without back hurting thanks to fantastic Recaros... DONE.
Acceptable fuel consumption. DONE.
Parking at airports, rail stations, public garages,... all without getting the car scratched. DONE.
Highest sympathy. DONE.
Winter driving. DONE.

Honestly, I have looked at / driven / sit in so many other cars, Ferrari is a weekend toy you cannot leave parking alone over night (and image is difficult over here, 2 colleagues got fairly cheap Fezzas but keep it a secret to everyone except petrolheads like myself), GT-R is quick but soulless, Porsches are too common or GT2/3 too expensive (plus cannot carry golfbags), Maserati not sporty enough for my liking....
Aston would be an alternative or the baby McLaren which might come 2016, but different price point.
Only car which could potentially change my mind is the Corvette C7Z06. Or the relaunched Honda NSX. Both not available yet.

Believe, every time I had to bring my car to the garage for some guarantee issues I was close to selling it, but nothing else makes me smile that this car, because in the chassis department there is noting which can match a Lotus.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The Camry engine is good thing as far as I'm concerned. It does the job and saves Lotus $millions developing their own engine. It's affordable to service and replace in years to come.

In Australia the Evora S is significantly more affordable than the Porsche 911 or Cayman which many compare it to. I have access to a 996 GT3 and prefer the performance and ride quality of my Evora S. The Evora is faster on twisty country roads which is 99% of my driving.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have thought about what I would get if I ever wanted to move up from the Elise and there's a lot of cars to choose from for that price range. Mainly GTR and C7 Vette. For most people who are not Lotus guys/girls like us, it is hard to imagine why you would pick an Evora over a car like a C7 vette that is faster and cheaper brand new.

It all depends on what you are looking for. Heck, I would still love an NSX and would be crazy enough to pay 50k for a clean low mileage model. I've told my friends this and they think I'm nuts but I've been wanting one forever!

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
If the OP had actually done any research on this forum, then he'd know why people bought this car. If he'd bothered to actually take a test drive before coming here and slamming the car, he'd also know why people bought this car.

Complete troll post. :no::no::no:

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
It's a drivers car, pure and simple. What matters it does like nothing else. Silly fit and finish issues be dammed once you drive one hard and you realize it liked it and wanted more. This is a sub $100k super car so with the money saved I can afford to fix the little things. Apples to apples you can dance in a twisty with the biggest dogs in the block and come out on top.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just got back from driving the car for two hours. I loved how it drove. I preferred the ips over the 6sp. Which this is the first time I have ever even considered not buying a manual. For some reason, when sitting in the car, it just didn't feel like a 95k car. Which it did come out to just over that with taxes and title. I loved this car, and am strongly considering it, but just couldn't justify it today.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
i got stuck at the "all the plastic parts".

this thing has leather on every square inch of the interior. the paddles and steering wheel are titanium. the panel switches are stainless steel?????

there is a plastic turn indicator - lets see, the wiper is plastic and the buttons for the IPS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also, before even bringing up any of my concerns, the sales manager brought to my attention that they have had a few problems with plastic trip warping, and coming off. I really appreciated his honesty on this without me even asking. He also assured me that this is 100% covered by warranty. It helps that the dealer is less than 10 minutes from my house as well, which means I can have any issues addressed without having to leave town.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts