The Lotus Cars Community banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
She certainly is not the greatest driver but you have to give it to her. She has put up with sh*t for a very long time and hung in there. Where would you be if you were under the same type of pressure?????? Most of you would resort to being a W-2 "yes man" under those circumstances.... Give her a break!!!

I met her in 2006 when she was promoting the "Tusot" touch screen watch. Since I owned one, they invited me down for the show. Danica looked great on the "cat walk" and treated everyone very well.

As you all know, those that work hard at there art should be given respect. Irregardless of your feelings of her talent, you really need to give her more respect. I would only dream to know someone that had the "balls" she has!!!

T
+1 with what this guy wrote, except for the irregardless( because thats not even a word in English).

regaurdless of anyones feelings, she can drive.

I think this thread title would best be changed to WHY ANYONE ON THIS FORUM DOESNT GET PAID TO DRIVE AS A PROFESSIONAL.

the answer is because we dont have the same ability that she does.

for those who are bashing her, i think they are also likely similar to the "Uncle Rico" personality from napolean dynamite. for those that havent seen the movie, its basically I am calling them clueless, and armchair quarterback "experts".

who cares if she cried when she won, if i tried to win a pro race 50 times and finally did, i think i would likely cry also.

I didnt see the race, but for those that say it was luck, not skill to win by fuel mileage, then think again. it really hard to drive conservatively and still go fast. when i beat other racers on the track because i outsmarted them, it is more enjoyable than winning by just blowing their doors off.

most of the people on this forum are great, but the wankers are even better, as they are entertaining to listen to their critques of other in things they have themselves never participated in.
My little formula ford i have had up to 135, with my ass 2-3 inches off the ground, and its thrilling and feels really fast.
I could not imagine what going 180-200 mph on an oval is like.
but hey, thats just me, i have been on oval turns in my FF at only 125 mphat phx intl. raceway, but i will defer to those who have vast more experience from watching this stuff on TV, rather than actually competed, or even driven an open wheeler for that matter.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I don't really care about Danica. There should be no weight equalizing based on drivers weight. The teams choose the driver. If the driver is a fatass, tough luck. That driver is part of that team's setup. "run what ya brung". In horse racing, only the lightest of people are jockeys(drivers). Why do they hire really small, light jockeys? WEIGHT ADVANTAGE!! Its part of the game. Car racing should be no different. Being a light driver is just another aspect of competition. Its obvious who this rule is favoring. Danica's sex/skill should have nothing to do with it.

Ps: F1 is such a high level of competition, the teams make the driver endure rigorous exercise to maintain peek physical condition. THis also includes weight control. So she wouldn't hack it in F1 anyway.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ERUbPbAsjkY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ERUbPbAsjkY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YkC70iFcJ04&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YkC70iFcJ04&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
I agree with your argument- I guees the rules just need to be clearly stated-

By the way aren't there handicaps in horse racing (i.e. imposting, or something like that)?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I think this thread title would best be changed to WHY ANYONE ON THIS FORUM DOESNT GET PAID TO DRIVE AS A PROFESSIONAL.

the answer is because we dont have the same ability that she does.
No, it's not always ability. Sometimes its money and opportunity. I've seen and raced against some kids who were incredible (girls included) but they had to give up on professional aspirations because they ran out of money. Maybe $50K (a season in Skippy) isn't a lot for some people on this site but for others its too much. And then to get a competitive drive in Formula Mazda, Toyota Atlantic and Indy Lights costs so much more. There was a quote from JPM's dad that he didn't hesitate to drop $300K to get him in a winning F3000 ride when the opportunity happened. Paying for it was another thing and I believe he sold his architecture biz. So being a critic on this forum doesn't mean we don't have talent. In some cases it means that we ran out of opportunity before Daddy Warbucks showed up.

In the opposite case, look at Pedro Diniz. Daddy owned Parmalate and that's how he got his rides in F1. He was more often than not a moving chicane.

$$ doesn't mean talent and talent doesn't generate $$$. Sometimes its right place, right time and sometimes it means you've got talent but no open seat.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I dont really get Racing in the States. Whats the point?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I'm glad she won and hope she keeps winning. I've always been a bit puzzled by her apparent dual personality though. She wants to be taken seriously as a driver and yet she keeps doing the cheesecake stuff. why?:shrug:
Just drive, you've got the talent and a good team.
BTW, I don't know alot about her story but I don't think she came from alot of money, I think she's had some breaks but paid her dues too (esp. in Europe).

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
No, it's not always ability. Sometimes its money and opportunity. I've seen and raced against some kids who were incredible (girls included) but they had to give up on professional aspirations because they ran out of money. Maybe $50K (a season in Skippy) isn't a lot for some people on this site but for others its too much. And then to get a competitive drive in Formula Mazda, Toyota Atlantic and Indy Lights costs so much more. There was a quote from JPM's dad that he didn't hesitate to drop $300K to get him in a winning F3000 ride when the opportunity happened. Paying for it was another thing and I believe he sold his architecture biz. So being a critic on this forum doesn't mean we don't have talent. In some cases it means that we ran out of opportunity before Daddy Warbucks showed up.

In the opposite case, look at Pedro Diniz. Daddy owned Parmalate and that's how he got his rides in F1. He was more often than not a moving chicane.

$$ doesn't mean talent and talent doesn't generate $$$. Sometimes its right place, right time and sometimes it means you've got talent but no open seat.
well said, you've just summed up the state of open-wheel racing in the US.
The problem is there is no real ladder-series other than Mazda via Skip Barber
right now. There are lots of talented kids in karts (my son's one of them) but their families don't have the cash to take them past F2000. The merger
of IRL and Champ will mean even fewer spaces at the top levels of the sport. Alex Figge got his opportunities in Champ car through family $$ (Quad Cities) but I'm not sure he has a ride after Long Beach. I hope the merger turns out to be a good thing, but fear it will just decrease the visibility of open-wheel in the US even more.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
cy9 said:
Maybe I'm old school but I think she ought to be supporting her husband as a home-maker and having children. If she wants to drive so much, she can drop the kids off at school, in between her chores of fixing dinner and cleaning the house.
Tintin said:
She should also be barefoot and pregnant
Didn't you guys die off with the dinosaurs?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Didn't you guys die off with the dinosaurs?
Was my sarcasm too subtle? Have a look at what :rolleyes: (the "Roll Eyes" smiley) means -poke-

To keep this thread on track, I think:
(A) A win is a win
(B) Danica has more driving skill than I ever will
(C) She also looks good to me ;)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
well said, you've just summed up the state of open-wheel racing in the US.
The problem is there is no real ladder-series other than Mazda via Skip Barber
right now. There are lots of talented kids in karts (my son's one of them) but their families don't have the cash to take them past F2000. The merger
of IRL and Champ will mean even fewer spaces at the top levels of the sport. Alex Figge got his opportunities in Champ car through family $$ (Quad Cities) but I'm not sure he has a ride after Long Beach. I hope the merger turns out to be a good thing, but fear it will just decrease the visibility of open-wheel in the US even more.
Thanks!

Andaltho Tony George denies it, he started the IRL to give American drivers a change at top level open wheel racing. That worked for the first year and then the car owners went to foreigners because they could bring sponsorship with them. Aside from NASCRAP and its ladder series, its extremely hard to draw sponsors because of the small numbers of viewers both on TV and at the track.

Its a whole different animal across the pond.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Nobody's posted this picture yet?

Nice consolation prize, buddy rotfl That look on his face with his finger pointing at his trophy, and Danica standing on the podium with a trophy bigger than her, is just priceless.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Nobody's posted this picture yet?

Nice consolation prize, buddy rotfl That look on his face with his finger pointing at his trophy, and Danica standing on the podium with a trophy bigger than her, is just priceless.
that's a great shot, made better by the fact the Danica and Helio seem to be
buds off the track.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
If Sebastien Bourdais can't cut it in F1 Danica doesn't have a shot in hell.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
If Sebastien Bourdais can't cut it in F1 Danica doesn't have a shot in hell.
nobody can do well in a piece of crap compared to the "good" cars running out there.
if you are not driving for one of the 2-3 top teams you dont have much chance to win.

put any of the top drivers in the STR red bull car, and they to will look as if they are slow compared to the Ferrari/McClaren teams.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
nobody can do well in a piece of crap compared to the "good" cars running out there.
if you are not driving for one of the 2-3 top teams you dont have much chance to win.

put any of the top drivers in the STR red bull car, and they to will look as if they are slow compared to the Ferrari/McClaren teams.
Agreed. The top drivers in F1 are on the top b/c they have incredible team support. I wouldn't be surprised that in a spec car race, most of the F1 drivers would be pretty even.

·
Registered
19 Posts
She should also be barefoot and pregnant :rolleyes:
Call me crazy, but I don't think I'd have a problem impregnating this young woman who could out drive all of you.<br>

·
shay2nak
25,069 Posts
put it to you this way...i wouldn't throw her out of my bed if she were in it. that pic of her with the trophy is great. good for her.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts

I agree. But, sadly, I'm sure she'd land with one of those 'other' teams.

Honestly, I'd really like to see your last comment happen, even if it was just for $hits and giggles. Trading Places - F1 Edition. :)

61 - 80 of 83 Posts