2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-i can barely get in or out of it

-i cant hear the stereo over the exhaust

-the windows leak whenever it rains

-i cant see stop lights without craning my neck to the side

-people look at me funny whenever i drive it

-it has a 1.8 liter engine that only seems to get about 10 mpg when i drive it

-after less than a month of ownership of a car with less than 14k miles on it, i've had to:

replace the intake camshaft and rockers

wrap the coolant "U tube" so the car doesn't overheat

torque down my rear toe links so i don't die

-my windows rattle when they're down, but i don't want to adjust them because i don't want the adjustment screw to fall out

-i have to spend 20 minutes taking an aluminum panel off just to place a jack stand in the rear of the car

-i can't pull into most parking lots because the slope is too steep

-i can't fill my tank at the gas station without being interrogated by the other patrons

-there are no cup holders

-i cant sit in the seats with my wallet in my back pocket without having to stop at the chiropractors afterward

-and i cant reach the drive-through ATM machines

oh... and it's the best toy I ever bought :D:D:D

Feel free to add to the list of the things that make this "a terrible car, but an excellent toy"

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
man... you guys are quick with that "edit" button :)

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I spent the last few days...

Taking the wheels off and on at least 5 times at each corner...

Set the ride height to 1mm accuracy and corner balance within 2 pounds of ideal...

Replaced a perfectly good set of shocks and springs with a much more expensive set of shocks and springs...

Replaced a perfectly good set of steering arms with trick aluminum steering arms, requiring the purchase of a set of front end "removal" tools...

Repeatedly measured the suspension alignment to within 0.02 degrees...

Replaced brake pads that were barely half worn...

Flushed brake fluid that was less than a year old...

etc,etc,etc...

But to be honest... it's all strangely satisfying... AND, I get to take it on the track Thursday... :evil:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I think this is a great list of all the reasons why I bought the car in the first place.

I love this little car! :D All the cars I have ever owned are more comfortable, more practical, easier to live with, but man - they are all a distant memory. Don't miss them one bit. :shift:

·
Registered
495 Posts
All I have to do is look at, or even think about the Phantom Black paint and it scratches.

I've spent about 20 hours detailing the paint only to discover that I suck at doing it.

91 octane gas costs more.

My normal floor jack, that I've been using for the past 10 years, wont work on this car so I had to go buy an expensive low profile and some new ramps to boot.

The stupid mirrors.... need I say more?

Takes me twice as long to change oil than it does in my Honda Element.

My back kills me after just a few minutes of driving.

Before I softened up the suspension, the bone jarring bumps paid for my dentist's vacation home in Switzerland.

Now, not only do I get to wear earplugs on my motorcycles, I get to wear them in my car. Gotta love the strange looks I get when people see bright orange plugs in my ears.

Now, having said all that; I've seen my fair share of fine booty and hips in my long life, but nothing beats the rear end of my car (not to mention that I can actually rub her down with wax without going to jail again).:D

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
OOh! your poor Gits. rotfl

Buy a Caterham or a Birkin.
Those will convince you that the Elise is a mid 90's Camry.

Although I have say that A 7 can be more comfy with the correct aftermarket seat than the factory Elise squabs.

m

·
Registered
61 Posts
... going to jail again).:D
AGAIN!!! rotfl rotfl rotfl

Not to mention you have to take a wheel off to change the air filter. WTF?!?
I have a cup holder...her name's Renee.

She's a pain in the @$$ but I love her, oh yeah, Renee too.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Drive it on the track. 10 MPG is about what you get.
Yup, needing to fill up before a track event, and directly after a track event will make it blatantly obvious how poor the gas mileage is while doing "motorsports". But just imagine how bad the gas mileage is for that Viper or Vette owner...

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Drive it on the track. 10 MPG is about what you get.
Yup, needing to fill up before a track event, and directly after a track event will make it blatantly obvious how poor the gas mileage is while doing "motorsports". But just imagine how bad the gas mileage is for that Viper or Vette owner...
+1

On my first track day, I almost ran out of fuel on my 3rd 20 minute session... 10 gallons doesn't last long at WOT :D

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
It sounds like some of those problems are personal too. I used work for a Lotus dealer and I would warn customers that the car is not for everyone. I've had mine for almost 5 years now and love it just as much, if not more than I did the first day.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
What about the odd dozen transient vibrations, buzzes and rattles? But at least you can feel around the entire interior while driving, probing to find their origins.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts