The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving/tracking my stock LSS Elise for 3 years and am ready to "play" w/ it a little. I've always wanted a set of Ohlins (for ~6 yrs now). I bought everything to date from Sector111 and have been happy w/ service. I was hoping to buy the Ohlins from them. Just found out today that they longer carry them. Why?:(
Will the people who purchased the Ohlins from them still be able to have them rebuilt at Sector111 or are they on their own now?

The higher-spring rate Nitrons seem to defeat the Elise philosophy (just my opinion).

Do you recommend any particular vendor(s)? Are the Lotus factory Ohlins available through any of the vendors or is Ohlins/Ohins USA not allow to sell them via their own channels?

Thank you.
J

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Buy the Lotus Sport version from your Lotus dealer.

The Sector and Forcefed ones are not the same as the Lotus ones.

I know of people that had non-Lotus Ohlins and then tried Lotus Sport Ohlins and said they were like night and day. They kept the LS version.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Buy the Lotus Sport version from your Lotus dealer.

The Sector and Forcefed ones are not the same as the Lotus ones.

I know of people that had non-Lotus Ohlins and then tried Lotus Sport Ohlins and said they were like night and day. They kept the LS version.
+1 I've heard this as well from several people. Get the Lotus Ohlins.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. That's really good to know...

While we are on the topic, what about the sway bar? Should I stick w/ the factory adjustable sways or should I go w/ aftermarket sway bar from someone like BWR?

Thanks.
J

·
Registered
304 Posts
I know a guy that works for Ohlins. I was thinking of having him get me a set but if there are 2 different versions, how will I know which ones are which? Is there an Ohlins part number or is the LS version a dealer only item?

·
Registered
845 Posts
You mean ones developed by a team of Lotus engineers with extensive track testing are better than ones configured by a couple of tuners? Who woulda thunk it! :p

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went through the search function for longer than I wanted to and...

I know a guy that works for Ohlins. I was thinking of having him get me a set but if there are 2 different versions, how will I know which ones are which? Is there an Ohlins part number or is the LS version a dealer only item?
came away w/ the following info.

Lotus Sport Ohlins have part numbers LOV#D## (the first # will be 1-4, which designates which corner). The last 2 #s... I don't know... doesnt' seem to matter.

Ohlins coilover w/o Lotus influence have part numbers LOV#F12.

I found an Ohlins distributor in New Hampshire w/ LOV#D## part numbers on their WebSite. They are looking into it for me... the person I spoke w/ didn't know the difference. I'll post if/when I hear back from them.

If not, I'll just go w/ my dealer... who can't seem to find the price for the rear pair. I was quoted $1473.20 for the front set. I assume the rears are similar.

If your buddy is able to grab a set for you at a good price, count me in!:D

J

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Is there an Ohlins part number or is the LS version a dealer only item?
I think that you can only get them from your Lotus dealer.

I don't think that Ohlins will have them.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called over a dozen Lotus dealers around the country....

They just took my name & number to call back. Only one dealer called me back. He quoted me $6,038 for a set of Lotus Sport Ohlins.-eek- Not going to happen. I know that Lotus has given the dealers a reasonable range to charge for these... but w/ the flexibility to charge whatever they want, if they want. I think all the dealers are trying to figure out how excessively they could price it before calling me back. I called some more than once... they just say, "I'm having trouble w/ the Lotus website." I called Lotus... I was told dealers all have the info.

So, can anyone recommend a reasonable dealer for me to order a set?

Thank you.
J

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
They just took my name & number to call back. Only one dealer called me back. He quoted me $6,038 for a set of Lotus Sport Ohlins.-eek- Not going to happen. I know that Lotus has given the dealers a reasonable range to charge for these... but w/ the flexibility to charge whatever they want, if they want. I think all the dealers are trying to figure out how excessively they could price it before calling me back. I called some more than once... they just say, "I'm having trouble w/ the Lotus website." I called Lotus... I was told dealers all have the info.

Thank you.
J
Save yourself all the drama and a ton of money and get some Nitrons SA from Sector 111. We nave been running them for 3+ years and 10,000+ track miles and there great. I dont know any body that has them on there car that doesn't like them..carl

·
Registered
6,293 Posts

Thank you.
J
Call Allen at Lotus Beverly Hills, I know he has sold more than a few of them.

I don't know how much they charge for them.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The higher-spring rate Nitrons seem to defeat the Elise philosophy (just my opinion).
The Cup Car uses similar spring rates to the Nitrons (471F/600R as I recall).

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I am not sure but I think the Nitrons are much higher spring rates and that runs contrary to the Lotus philosophy.

I my mind Lotus designed the car to work a particular way and they are the worlds best suspension engineers so I will trust them in this area and use the LS Ohlins.

·
Premium Member
4,697 Posts

Cup car D/A Ohlins -- Springs are 458F/571R and the setup (spring rates and shock valving) was designed to work with slicks.

·
Vendor
3,299 Posts
Alternatively, you could get the Penske's from us at Blackwatch. Valving and spring rates were thoroughly tested on US elises in Superstock, ASP, FP, XP and on track cars. Built from Penske's Indy Car development, in our humble opinion there is no better shock.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Cup car D/A Ohlins -- Springs are 458F/571R and the setup (spring rates and shock valving) was designed to work with slicks.
Thanks Jack.

·
Registered
492 Posts
came away w/ the following info.

Lotus Sport Ohlins have part numbers LOV#D## (the first # will be 1-4, which designates which corner). The last 2 #s... I don't know... doesnt' seem to matter.

Ohlins coilover w/o Lotus influence have part numbers LOV#F12.

I found an Ohlins distributor in New Hampshire w/ LOV#D## part numbers on their WebSite. They are looking into it for me... the person I spoke w/ didn't know the difference. I'll post if/when I hear back from them.

If not, I'll just go w/ my dealer... who can't seem to find the price for the rear pair. I was quoted $1473.20 for the front set. I assume the rears are similar.

If your buddy is able to grab a set for you at a good price, count me in!:D

J
Mine are the F## and I got mine from Lotus South Bay - so don't I have 'proper' Lotus shocks then?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts