The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to people's reasons for picking their Elise's colour. Was is emotional or practical? Are there colours that you felt suit the Elise that you would never in a million years have chosen for another car? Was it picked for the road or the track? Or maybe just superstition, or you let you other half chose the colour?

·
Registered
77 Posts
reasons for picking their Elise's colour.

saffron for safety.
small car needs hi visibility color.
and i like the color, too.

dan w

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
graphite gray- if it looks like the photos. striking. different. emotional. and in a car this small i feel it incumbent on ME to stay out of the way of other drivers' silly road antics. and did not want a hey, look at me color.

and because this was not available

:huh:

·
Registered
758 Posts
lol :) 'colo(u)r' :)

I'm ordering chrome orange because I'm just too sexy for anything else ... :D

... or maybe because I like it ...

... whichever is easier to believe :)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Re: Re: Why did you pick the colo(u)r you picked?

danwasdahl said:

saffron for safety.
same here

but I really wanted Ice Blue :(

·
Registered
970 Posts
i picked ardent cause it is very visible...dont mind it being abit flashy cause I will rarely drive this car anyway...also thought of resale value since I never keep my cars more than 3 yrs...I really want magnetic with blue leather but that combo might be harder to sell later.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
CO
Looks great, it's a color you couldn't have on many cars since they wouldn't wear it well.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Re: Re: Why did you pick the colo(u)r you picked?

danwasdahl said:
reasons for picking their Elise's colour.

saffron for safety.

dan w
And I REALLY like the color. I've always wanted a yellow
convertible, and have now found one that doesn't
have the handling problems inherant in convertibles.

Steve

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Racing Green Metallic. I like it, it's a traditional color (almost) and to me, not getting green on a Lotus is like not getting red on a Ferrari.

I'm most likely going to add the type 25 stripes, also.

Cade

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
i agree with that re green. this one was just too different for my taste so i tossed tradition out the window. i really wanted the traditional lotus green

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Joe Sugarman says that people make decisions based upon emotion and justify them with reason.

I picked Saffron Yellow because I'm an attention whore. Then I justified it by telling myself that it's more visible to others, cheaper than other colors, slightly less ticketed than red, and would match my yellow SUV.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I picked CO, since it's the coolest. :cool: I was getting SY until CO became an option.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I picked Storm Titanium with red interior because of a photo I saw online. It was an Elise S1 with that combo. I sort of made a mental note- "if they ever bring that f'n car to the USA, that's the combo I'd get". They did and I did.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I ended up going with Arctic Silver with Red, partly because it's kind of a classic look (though not British sports-car classic), but mostly for practical reasons:

- Silver doesn't show every little speck of dirt or mark
- It's on the more unobtrusive side, so won't attract the attention a CO or other bright colour will get.

Disadvantages of a silver or other metallic colour:

- difficult to touch-up rock chips etc.
- awfully "common" around here (So Cal), lots of silver Mercedes, BMWs, Porsches as well as other marques.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't picked yet - will probably be either Graphite, Black, Racing Green or Nightfall Blue. Basically any of those do it for me, all being very understated and classic. Racing Green is in there cos I'm British, and when we race abroad our cars are supposed to be that colour. :) Black is there because I think it makes the Elise looks like the fastest car on earth! :D Sooo mean and low. In a way I think it echoes the Elise's no-nonsense ideals. It's the original car colour, and states that you mean business and are not bothered by the trivialities of colour. Or something. rotfl
Graphite is my long-term favourite car colour which is why it's there, although my last Elise was the same colour so maybe a change?...

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Graphite Grey- because everyone was getting CO- and I wanted to be different:D

Really b/c I've always pictured British cars like the old DB5's and such with grey exteriors and ususally red interiors. When I put my deposit down last September I put down Gunmetal in hopes that they would offer it after seeing Simon G's car on SELOC and the Gunmetal GT1 on BoB-Lotus.

Simon's Elise is up for sale now on Pistonheads.

I got it b/c it's the color I like the best to make a long story short.

·
Registered
724 Posts
CO cause i liked it and wanted to be diff. i looked and looked around and didnt really see any other orange cars floating around. NOT because i was turning 40 loosing my hair and have been married to the same woman for i dont know how long.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
MotorCade said:
it's a traditional color (almost) and to me, not getting green on a Lotus is like not getting red on a Ferrari.
Actually, I would think that getting a "Lotus Yellow" Lotus would be more of the tradition.

"British Racing Green" (whatever color that actually is) is a traditional color for British cars, just like Red for Italian cars, Silver for German cars, etc. It has to do with the "racing colors" of year ago, when you could tell the nationality of the car/driver by the color that the race car was painted (American cars were usually white with blue strips and/or blue with white strips). That all changed in F1 when Lotus started selling advertising on their cars...

In any case, my Elise will be Chrome Orange. It should help it stand out in traffic (so people won't hit me), and besides, my wife likes orange...;)

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I always wanted a yellow car. The first pictures I saw of the Elise (on the official Lotus web site) were of a yellow car, and I decided instantly that this was what I wanted. Never seriously considered anything else, it just seems like the "right" color for the Elise.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts