The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's just me, but I seem to see more late model Mercedes & Audis with burned out tail lights than any other car. Does anyone else notice this? I'm talking about the car that has the one bright tail light because the brake light has taken over after the regular one burned/shorted out. This on cars made since 2000.

I don't think I've ever replaced a tail light (knock on wood) on any car I've owned, much less one that's only 3-6 years old.

weird.

:sheep:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I seem to see more late model Mercedes & Audis with burned out tail lights than any other car. Does anyone else notice this? I'm talking about the car that has the one bright tail light because the brake light has taken over after the regular one burned/shorted out. This on cars made since 2000.

I don't think I've ever replaced a tail light (knock on wood) on any car I've owned, much less one that's only 3-6 years old.

weird.

:sheep:
Operator error.. Something about the park light ...I got chewed out by someone a few years ago.

It sometimes looks like the left rear brake light is stuck on and the right is not on.:tadts:

·
Registered
780 Posts
:shrug:I am sure someone will chime in on the specifics. But I guess in some countries when you park at night you need to activate a park light that looks as if the brake light is stuck on.:shrug:

·
Registered
370 Posts
More than likely the driver has the rear fog light on. Most european cars have this feature and it seems most US drivers have no idea what it is.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
If you need tail lights on the Autobahn, you're in the wrong lane.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I love laughing at the "kewl" people (read: retards) who think they're cool driving with their fog/driving lights on all the time, and don't realize they have their rear fog on as well.

Bit of a chuckle anyway...

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
:shrug:I am sure someone will chime in on the specifics. But I guess in some countries when you park at night you need to activate a park light that looks as if the brake light is stuck on.:shrug:
In some European cars when you are "double parked", you can turn on the driver's side indicators to "steady burn" (not flash) by moving the indicator stalk to the side you way to light up and then turning the parking lights on. This way you warn other cars that you're sticking out in traffic while you're parked.

I know Mercedes Benzes do it. My old Range Rover did it too.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I always wonder about newer cars with busted tail lights as well.
cause you know that there's a dummy light inside telling them it's busted!
But perhaps some people here in LA are too lazy/anal to do anything about [email protected]#?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I've noticed the same thing with newer VWs, too. Maybe lights aren't important in Germany since it's always so sunny :rolleyes:

Tom

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
In some European cars when you are "double parked", you can turn on the driver's side indicators to "steady burn" (not flash) by moving the indicator stalk to the side you way to light up and then turning the parking lights on. This way you warn other cars that you're sticking out in traffic while you're parked.

I know Mercedes Benzes do it. My old Range Rover did it too.

Yes, this is common activity in the old small towns and cities in Europe and it can make the difference between your car getting hit or not on the narrow twisting streets on a dark night that were originally designed for foot or horse/carriage travel. I remember seeing these parking lights on all the time in Germany at night as people stuffed their cars in tiny spots along the streets because of a lack of parking spaces, parking lots, and driveways/garages. It just isn't something we need to do in the US with our wide streets and parking lots and even if we did, no one here would understand it.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Yes, this is common activity in the old small towns and cities in Europe and it can make the difference between your car getting hit or not on the narrow twisting streets on a dark night that were originally designed for foot or horse/carriage travel. I remember seeing these parking lights on all the time in Germany at night as people stuffed their cars in tiny spots along the streets because of a lack of parking spaces, parking lots, and driveways/garages. It just isn't something we need to do in the US with our wide streets and parking lots and even if we did, no one here would understand it.
True... most German cars sold in the US have this "feature" disabled... both my Audis and both of my BMWs do not do this... strangely though, my 993 Turbo does. :shrug:

On the other hand, my S4 does have both front and rear "fog" lights... and I'll bet most people probably don't know even know about the rear ones or whether they've been turned on or not.

·
Registered
780 Posts
True... most German cars sold in the US have this "feature" disabled... both my Audis and both of my BMWs do not do this... strangely though, my 993 Turbo does. :shrug:

On the other hand, my S4 does have both front and rear "fog" lights... and I'll bet most people probably don't know even know about the rear ones or whether they've been turned on or not.
The problem is ...when these people are driving on the freeway in the U S it can be dangerous for other drivers. Trying to determine if the driver has their brakes on; or is it simply a _____________(you can fill in the blank) on the phone without a clue.
It should not be legal to have rear "fog lights" in the U S.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Yeah, my old Volvo wagon had these rear fog lights built into the tail lights and when you pulled the switch, they looked just like brake lights. They were really useful for backing off tailgating drivers at night after you pulled the switch!

These rear fog lights are another item that makes sense on the Autobahn where there are traffic lanes flowing at vastly different speeds in the same direction and in bad weather, they can be vital for visibility of your car when someone is driving up behind you at a fast closing speed. In the US, everyone thinks your brake lights are just stuck on......again no one gets it over here.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
It should not be legal to have rear "fog lights" in the U S.
I disagree. It should be illegal to USE them when it's not foggy, however, I have used the rear fog lamps many times on my Range Rovers over the years when the fog along the coast gets so bad that you can't see more than a car length in front of your car. It's a little bit of extra insurance that the car behind you will see you just a bit sooner in heavy fog. They are very bright on the Rovers.

I actually kind of wish I had them on the Lotus. I was driving in very heavy fog last weekend and was seriously fearing that someone would come speeding up behind me and not see me.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
the brighter tail light is a result of turning on the front driving/fog lights

it acts as a rear fog light of some sort

·
Registered
820 Posts
Most euro cars that have rear fogs have a separate switch for them, and are typically not tied to the front fog lights.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Most euro cars that have rear fogs have a separate switch for them, and are typically not tied to the front fog lights.
Hmmm.... not my Audi... they're both on the headlight switch. Pull out one stop for front fog lights only, two stops for both front and rear.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
I disagree. It should be illegal to USE them when it's not foggy, however, I have used the rear fog lamps many times on my Range Rovers over the years when the fog along the coast gets so bad that you can't see more than a car length in front of your car. It's a little bit of extra insurance that the car behind you will see you just a bit sooner in heavy fog. They are very bright on the Rovers.

I actually kind of wish I had them on the Lotus. I was driving in very heavy fog last weekend and was seriously fearing that someone would come speeding up behind me and not see me.

It IS illegal in Europe to use them unless the visibility is below a certain limit (I don't recall if it is 50 or 100 meters). Theoretically you can get a ticket when you use them without it being foggy.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
It IS illegal in Europe to use them unless the visibility is below a certain limit (I don't recall if it is 50 or 100 meters). Theoretically you can get a ticket when you use them without it being foggy.
That is correct - a visibility of 50 m is the limit. This is why they are not necessarily combined with the front fog lights.

In Germany the front fog lights may only be used when either parking or low beam lights are switched on.

And here is the difference between a US freeway and a German Autobahn: the number of lanes and nothing else but that. :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts