The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yes, in my opinion, buy one modded,...never get your money back fully so take advantage....

I track/daily drive, so I know the addiction....

I will be 'done' lol after this holiday once I put in the new exhaust, supercharger, lsd, clam hinge, and other bits I forgot....

....after I take of this disaster that happened this morning (on a stock motor--modded or not modded, things break): lost oil on freeway

·
Monaco Dreamin'
459 Posts
I have "heavily modded" pretty much every single car I have owned. For me, most of the fun is in the modding, finding the parts, making it better than ever. Once I've reached a certain point with the car, I lose interest and want to move on to a new project.

I agree it does sometimes make the car more difficult to sell (especially for what you paid), but the value is in the experience for me.

·
craigyirush
1,532 Posts
The #1 thing that needs mods is the driver. Most people with modded cars probably couldn't take a stock Elige to 7/10. Do the known safety upgrades (toe links, baffled oil pan), get a good alignment, and enjoy it on the track or in the canyons.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
I believe that the folks who sell after major mods have more fun performing the project and have get bored when its all done. The love for them is the project and not the car itself. So when its all done, they move on to a new project to get the thrill again.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Simple, they've maxed it out the platform, and crave more.

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
The #1 thing that needs mods is the driver.
People must think this makes them sound smart or cool. I'm so tired of this worn out tripe. Driver education . . . great. The number one thing, every time, all the time? Not necessarily. Even you go on to describe the important things the driver should do in addition to education.

Glen

·
Registered
391 Posts
Having had two Elise and Exige I find the major SC kits and mods designed to improve known Lotus faults from BOE/Sector 111 to be more reliable then stock cars.

But really depends on how the past owner took care of the car. Example my past very modded Elise I changed all fluids, cleaned complete engine and undercar parts, checked torque and replaced any part in question. This was done after each track weekend I took a week of cleaning and the car looked like new. I have also seen other owners cars that are OEM stock that never seen the track and I look under the car and looks like it's never every been cleaned and all corroded with oil leaks.

So I find its more about the past owners care more then if OEM or modded.
What did you use to clean your engine? I've never been much of a under hood cleaning guy but since its visible on the Exige, and ive gotten some powdercoating done, I want to keep it nice. I was thinking of getting a steamer.

·
Registered
649 Posts
What did you use to clean your engine? I've never been much of a under hood cleaning guy but since its visible on the Exige, and ive gotten some powdercoating done, I want to keep it nice. I was thinking of getting a steamer.
Simple Green 1All-Purpose Concentrate Cleaner, 1 Gallon (I buy gallon that you mix with WATER) all around engine, suspension, under car. When I first get a car and if engine real dirty I buy a case of brake cleaner under engine and around suspension first time clean. (Metal parts ONLY)

303 Aerospace Protectant on all Plastic parts

Body
Meguiars 205 ultra finish polish followed by blackfire FB-300 wet diamond paint protection

I've been known to replace good parts if I can't get it clean....

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
Simple Green 1All-Purpose Concentrate Cleaner, 1 Gallon (I buy gallon that you mix with water) all around engine, suspension, under car. When I first get a car and if engine real dirty I buy a case of brake cleaner under engine and around suspension first time clean
Be careful with the liberal application of brake cleaner. It will degrade many types of plastic and rubber, including the plastic in electrical connectors and the rubber used in hoses, boots, etc. The damage shows up as cracking plastic and checks in rubber (plus the rubber is dramatically weakened). If you want a demonstration of this, try spraying some brake cleaner on your generally impervious disposable nitrile work gloves and see how long it takes for the rubber to start falling off your hand. It only takes a few minutes. I recently had to replace a brand new breather hose on my VW after I accidentally wiped it down with a rag that had some brake cleaner on it . . . the hose was badly checked and about to split all the way through in less than a week. If you must use a solvent, engine degreaser is much less active. Electrical contact cleaner (at least the stuff I get from MRC) doesn't seem to attack plastics.

Likewise, there are some cautions for Simple Green. The manufacturer says to ensure you rinse very thoroughly and never leave it on bare aluminum more than 10 minutes. Failure to follow these precautions can lead to oxidization of the surface, even on anodized surfaces.

Glen

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
It certainly seems like an addiction judging how few cars are "lightly" modded, and most of the modded cars have a huge list of modifications. (and kind of remarkable how after investing so much, they're still willing to sell at a huge loss of $)

me - I splurged on the fancy carpet buttons and left it a that :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
My 05 elise came with a Katana supercharger which plenty enough for the power department. Left it mostly stock other than mood for safety and a few cosmetic touches. I could i itched modding it but was hesitant and wanted to keep it fairly stock. but every so often , i would yearn for some performance moods, and jjst by going on paper i could not justify the expenses and time to sort it out. so when an opportunity came I snapped up a car modded with my wish list and sold my elise. but just like what they say about the modding bug, now i'm coming up with a list on my mind.
not sure if it was a good move for me moving from a nice low mi pristine elise to a hi mile well modded track ready exige. I do plan on doing some autox and a few trackdays next year so it made sense to get some of the issues addressed, (oil pan, fuel starvation, toe links and yes a little bit more power and some suspension. sometimes I think iI got to much of a car with the exige and some times i miss the the simplicity of My elise.

·
craigyirush
1,532 Posts
People must think this makes them sound smart or cool. I'm so tired of this worn out tripe. Driver education . . . great. The number one thing, every time, all the time? Not necessarily. Even you go on to describe the important things the driver should do in addition to education.Glen
Can you not read English? I didn't say it was the only thing. I said it was the most important thing (along with some minimal safety mods). And your post, full of ad hominem invective, gives no reasons why my advice is wrong.

Would you really say that some newbie Lotus owner who has never done any performance driving start adding power before learning basic car control? If so, you are the one talking tripe.

As for trying to be cool - telling people to learn how to drive before sticking a supercharger on their car is like telling them to take their medicine. It's the opposite of what they want to hear.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Can you not read English? I didn't say it was the only thing. I said it was the most important thing (along with some minimal safety mods). And your post, full of ad hominem invective, gives no reasons why my advice is wrong.

Would you really say that some newbie Lotus owner who has never done any performance driving start adding power before learning basic car control? If so, you are the one talking tripe.

As for trying to be cool - telling people to learn how to drive before sticking a supercharger on their car is like telling them to take their medicine. It's the opposite of what they want to hear.

Cmon, Craig. You're just following the pack like those who say "wear pants" or "don't drink at work at 9am". Be more unique than that!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
1 Posts
Obviously modded cars are worth more it tells you the owner didn't mind spending money on his baby. Why would u want stock oem from years ago compared to upgraded parts suspension , supercharger , those things are big bucks .

·
He's on fire!
3,081 Posts
Obviously modded cars are worth more it tells you the owner didn't mind spending money on his baby. Why would u want stock oem from years ago compared to upgraded parts suspension , supercharger , those things are big bucks .
What if all those parts were installed by the owner and not a professional shop? -poke-

·
craigyirush
1,532 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I have a new answer, probably because after the power increase and all the work they did they say ahhh done working on the car!. Then they start to destroy tires fast and use more gas, then their clutch explodes then they spend all of Christmas getting it back together and then when it's all done the transmission oil all leaks out of a bad oil seal and then they get it fixed at the mechanic and sell it.

Just kidding on the last part but that DID happen and I can see how it could get aggrivating.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have a new answer
First the age group, not many 17 year olds start with a lotus unlike say the Subaru, mustang. We are a higher age group.
Second. The fact that you selected a lotus also puts you in another group. Performance, handling, minimalist, unique machines.
Third. Because you are #2, 'performance is in your blood and taking a machine and making it just a little better appeals to you.... hence molding comes naturally.

Does the average Lotus owner fiddle with most things in general, say anything broken that needs fixing ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey smokin orange,

You totally described me accurately. I'm a systems engineer, had an SC dragster, got tired of the drag strips (short lived fun). Started tracking with an Elise and love the performance, handling and everything unique. Spent the last 2 weekends adding a BOE rev 300 myself and should be done this weekend.

Yes, there are safety & longevity items (if tracked) that need to be addressed, but I don't think they are too costly.
Oh, but do address the notorious “U-Bend” cooling line issue. My 05 Elise with less than 15K miles was pretty worn. Thanks to this group I discovered the concern and addressed it before it broke through.

Cheers...

·
He's on fire!
3,081 Posts
You've described my motivation for staying away from power mods to a T. There's this guy that has an absolutely insane, awesome twin turbo viper. The thing is a beast and I would love to give it a whirl on track.

I've been to several days with the guy, and the car hasn't once completed a full day. After every session he's underneath it tinkering with/fixing something. To each their own but I prefer driving :shift:

I have a new answer, probably because after the power increase and all the work they did they say ahhh done working on the car!. Then they start to destroy tires fast and use more gas, then their clutch explodes then they spend all of Christmas getting it back together and then when it's all done the transmission oil all leaks out of a bad oil seal and then they get it fixed at the mechanic and sell it.

Just kidding on the last part but that DID happen and I can see how it could get aggrivating.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts