The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Sorry if it's repost. I'm lazy.)

Why do Stage-II exhausts have so much weld-crack problems? I am on my third Stage-II and it cracked again -- now it makes annoying high-pitch noise around 4k RPM. :shrug:

Should I get a replacement (under warranty, but would crack again probably), or somehow get it welded well (even possible?)

·
Registered
294 Posts
get a different exhaust that doesnt problems cracking??

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Have they all been Janspeed versions?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
My Janspeed did. But it didn't crack at the weld. Just the little support brackets that keep the tips sturdy and they only cracked on one side each. Bent the piece away a bit and no noise.

Bracket isn't even visible, quick spot weld on it would fix too.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I had a 2bular crack on my old elise. the hangar was welded in a bad spot in the guy-who-fixed-it's opinion. too much load on one spot. my janspeed stage II looks like much more secure and less likely to crack.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
My old StageII cracked twice. The installing dealer(HRM/RIP) had not cut the holes large enough so when the exhaust heated up it sort of unwound(expanded) and would cet caught on the diffusor. I finally changed to a different exhaust..

·
Registered
466 Posts
Premature exhaust failures are caused by 2 reasons;

Problem 1 - Excessive engine movement.
Problem 2 - Poor heat ventilation especially around the catalytic converter and muffler area.

Solution 1 - Get engine mount inserts.
Solution 2 - Use a rear panel eliminator kit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I learnt that the problem is the car, some exhaust is better than the other but all will have problems. The exhaust is very short and it is fitted not in the best conditions to work. I tried all on my old Elise and Exige N/A now I have an Exige S with P.B. Racing complete exhaust now I have 9000km on the cars all done on the track and it has no problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts