The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive the possibly dumb question, but as the new owner of an Elise, why do so many owners seem to use Starshield or some other kind of clear film?

I admit to never having owned a fiberglass-bodied car, so is there a greater risk of paint chipping in the Elise over a steel body? I've owned a number of relatively nice cars (Audis, Porsches, even a Mini) and never used one nor had it be a factory option. I always thought they were somewhat wankerish-- so you get a few chips and after a couple of years touch them up and be done with it. But now it seems I'm a wanker too...

So before I yank it off my car (because I think it looks lousy to have a line crawling across my front fender) I'd love to have more experienced users' views. Does the Elise chip more than a steel-bodied car? Has anyone not gotten Starshield and regretted it?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Not to be mean, but your right... dumb question. Neither Audis, Porsches or Minis are made of steel btw. People get starshield to protect from the chips that you personally dont care about. Thats all.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Lotus isn't known for a particularly well done paint. So I'd suggest absolutely spending the money for either the starshield, or an aftermarket option.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I may catch some flames but here goes. The front star shield (SH) saves the paint from rock chips, but it itself gets chipped by rocks. I can repair rock chips in the paint much better than in the SH. So I don't like it on the front.
But the rocker panels are a different story. Crap gets on them that I can't get off. No matter what I try. Now I haven't done this yet, but if I were to just peel these off and replace them the rocker panels would look like new.
There, I said it.:DMy honest opinion.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I may catch some flames but here goes. The front star shield (SH) saves the paint from rock chips, but it itself gets chipped by rocks. I can repair rock chips in the paint much better than in the SH. So I don't like it on the front.
But the rocker panels are a different story. Crap gets on them that I can't get off. No matter what I try. Now I haven't done this yet, but if I were to just peel these off and replace them the rocker panels would look like new.
There, I said it.:DMy honest opinion.
My rocker panels and hood are getting replaced next weekend :D. Neither are in really bad shape but im doing it anyway.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Not to thread steal but what would really be nice is tear off lexan sheets for the windshield. Mine has a zillion pit holes from crap kicked up. Looks like it's been sandblasted from about 20' away, like teeny tiny gnat guts all over but it's not.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Forgive the possibly dumb question, but as the new owner of an Elise, why do so many owners seem to use Starshield or some other kind of clear film?

I admit to never having owned a fiberglass-bodied car, so is there a greater risk of paint chipping in the Elise over a steel body? I've owned a number of relatively nice cars (Audis, Porsches, even a Mini) and never used one nor had it be a factory option. I always thought they were somewhat wankerish-- so you get a few chips and after a couple of years touch them up and be done with it. But now it seems I'm a wanker too...

So before I yank it off my car (because I think it looks lousy to have a line crawling across my front fender) I'd love to have more experienced users' views. Does the Elise chip more than a steel-bodied car? Has anyone not gotten Starshield and regretted it?

Thanks in advance
Not sure if you'll ever sell the car used if you yank off the starshield.. Then again, if you are one of the owners that drives 10miles per year, I guess it's fine. For me, I've already re-applied my starshield once in one year under warranty.

·
Registered
233 Posts
SS is sacrificial. Sacrifice some film or the whole front clam's paintjob. Easy choice.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
For many of us, using Starshield was NOT a choice. The cars came equipped with it already installed.

There weren't a lot of cars that didn't have it as an OEM feature.

Personally, I like it. The car is low to the ground and picks up more than its share of road debris which can chip the paint. An unprotected front can look like it's been sandblasted after a few thousand miles (ask Cory, it happened to him).

I view it as replaceable item to be changed periodically. Cheaper than a full paint job!! :wallbang:

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I had no choice, it was on it. I'm just saying that unless you're willing to replace the SS (yeah, that's correct) then repairing rock chips is easier(and less noticeable) then trying to repair the SS. And if you want to spend the dough a good chip guy can make it look like it never happened. I dunno. Just my take on it.:shrug:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thaks for the responses so far. I probably wasn't clear. I bought the car used with the SS.

You're right M, not steel. Metal.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Thaks for the responses so far. I probably wasn't clear. I bought the car used with the SS.

You're right M, not steel. Metal.
rotfl .... Not metal either. Your about 30 years behind on the material that think the body of cars are made of.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I replace the SS about once a year on fronts and sides. Sides really need it more than that for the amount of tracking that I do.

Putting half of the wheel off into gravel at 80mph kicks up some nasty stuff and shoots it directly into the SS just past the door. Same thing when you are following someone and they go off or kick up rocks to the front.

Good paint job. $4,500.
Replace SS, $600

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
M, are you just trying to be a smartie? Conventional car panels are made of sheet steel. THe 2003 Nissan car door sitting in my office that I took apart to get at its crash sensor is very much made of metal. The GM car plant painting ops I've been at 2 years ago spray paint on-- wait for this--- metal car panels. What am I missing?

If you have an actual answer to the question I asked-- dumb as it is-- I'd appreciate a response.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Starshield is cheaper to replace, doesn't scratch as easily and gives some protection from cracks in the fiber glass.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I don't know much about how Audi's, BMW, etc. bumpers are made, but I would assume it's identical to Lexus, Nissans, etc. where it's made of a plastic shell. So I would think they wouldn't chip as bad because the flexible painted covers are more resistant to rock impacts, thus chipping.

As for the Lotus, it chips really easily. I have a starlight black elise and use it as a DD. When I bought it, it didn't have the starshield on the bumper on the little rectangular part where the licence plate would mount up. After a year of driving, it looked really bad and chipped up, where the rest of the front clam/starshield looked pretty good with only a few semi white marks/dent here and there. Also, replacing the starshield I think it easier and cheaper then repainting. Just my 2 cents worth w/no sarcasm.:)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
M, are you just trying to be a smartie? Conventional car panels are made of sheet steel. THe 2003 Nissan car door sitting in my office that I took apart to get at its crash sensor is very much made of metal. The GM car plant painting ops I've been at 2 years ago spray paint on-- wait for this--- metal car panels. What am I missing?

If you have an actual answer to the question I asked-- dumb as it is-- I'd appreciate a response.
I think his point is that the BUMPER on the aforementioned cars are plastic.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
my 06 elise came with the ss on it and im glad it did.composite will get very pitted from rocks.on a steel panel they will bounce off on a composite panel they will leave a chip.so it will stay on my car.on the d sports racers that i work on.the front nose is covered in clear bra.if it was not there it would be destroyed from stone damage.this is what happened to the nose of the cars before we started using clear bra.so it is not so wankerish.unless you like driving around in a car that has the front and lower sills trashed.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I have a Starshield on my car to protect the vehicle when gazing at the stars, which emit light that destroys fiberglass at certain angles.

I find the Starshield most helpful when I am driving down the street with my jimmy out the window. It deflects a lot of the heat, and keeps my appendage feeling safe when blowing in the wind.

The Starshield is essential for those who value their jimmy, right ItsThaMonsta?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts