The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some of us have been waiting a very long time. I don't mind waiting longer if I know when my car is really going to get here.

Lotus is obviously aware of this site. I'm quite certain several employees look here every week. Its only natural to see what future owners are talking about...

I am in sales. The first thing I do with my customers IS KEEP THEM INFORMED. If I'm late on a delivery, I call them long before they ever call me and explain to them what the delay is and how long it will be before I can expect to deliver their equipment. While they may not be happy to hear that there is a delay, they are at least appreciative of the fact that I take the inititive to call them to let them know whats going on. My customers appreciate this because it allows them to free up their capital to do other things while awaiting delivery of what they ordered from me.

I have a car to sell before I take delivery of my Elise. The car I'm selling is only attractive to a select group of people and it may take me a while to sell it. Knowing when I will get my car - or at least a ballpark date - would allow me to plan accordingly.

Lotus is really screwing themselves by keeping us in the dark. I see more and more posts from people who in months past were all excited about taking delivery of their cars now upset because they can't get a straight answer from ANYONE about the status of their order. I have reservations for several track events that I made when I was told my car would be here in June that I now don't know if I'm going to be able to make. I have a life. I need to be able to make plans and the only way I can do that is with some type of reasonable assurance as to when the car is going to be delivered to me. What Lotus thinks they can achieve by not telling us whats going on is certainly not clear to me.

Randy, Herman, Mason - you guys are suppose to know the guys over at Lotus, tell them we need to know what the heck is going on. Its time for Lotus to step up to the plate boys....

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I know a few of us often talk to various Lotus people. Chris, Robert Puertas, Robert "Wallaby", and I do. I know I talk to some extent to Lotus UK and Lotus USA, as I am sure others in this group do.

I can tell you that certain Lotus employees read this site daily. There is nothing you are saying they don't already know.

We all want to know when our car is coming. The delays so far have nothing to do with there ability to communicate, but as you say, knowing is better than not knowing.

I have mentioned this elsewhere. Lotus UK is not contracting with you, they are selling cars to Lotus USA. Lotus USA is selling cars to dealers. We are all buying cars from dealers and they earn their pay by relaying the information for us. That is how it perceived as it is supposed to work. It may not work as well as everyone might hope. Lotus USA is working on making sure the dealers have all the correct information.

In some cases, people are reporting a lack of information from a couple weeks ago. The information is newer than that. I also wonder if some dealers are hedging their bets by not relaying firmer delivery dates? Perhaps not a bad idea really, if you give a date and miss it, people get angry. Not justifying it, just wondering.

In some ways, a few people at Lotus are trying to get information to you, in the way they think they can. Unfortunately, that is informally and anonymously. There is a corporate "personality" (for lack of a better word) that I think I see that is concerned and very cautious about saying the wrong thing, or overstepping the bounds of what is allowed. On the other hand, neither Lotus UK or Lotus USA is large enough to have the communication flow and PR/comm people dedicated to dealing with us, and with fast lines of approval from corporate attorneys on what they can formally say and what not.

On the positive, there are improvements in work. I have seen better communication, even if behind the scenes. There is work underway to get all this data on builds and options computerized and online for the dealers so that they have instant access. Right now, someone has to call the one contact at each dealer on the phone and track them down at the club :) and relay the information and hope it filters to the salespeople.

There is also a positive that Lotus USA just hired a couple people to help deal with dealers.

I know it's not optimum.... but on the other hand I truly appreciate that we do get read on this forum from both Lotus USA and Lotus UK and that I think is huge. It really can have an impact. I also appreciate that certain players take the time to contact me and enable me to relay information.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The worst thing about not telling us more about delivery dates is that it has led some of us to sell a car (that the elise was supposed to replace) prematurely.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I believe the decision to wait until July 15th was a last minute audible. We all found out very soon after that decision was made.

Other than that, the communication has been consistent that cars would be arriving on June 15th, which they did. Perhaps not in the volumes we wanted.

I can tell you I have been told OFTEN that the production lines were going to ramp up and that it was going to start pretty slowly. I think one thing I have been slowly learning, is that I should stop and try to understand what that means. Now I think I know.

Anyway, it's not a case of Lotus USA knowing all this stuff and keeping it to themselves. Somethings happened that surprised them as far as builds, and they are at the mercy of Lotus UK.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Randy Chase said:
the communication has been consistent that cars would be arriving on June 15th, which they did
They did ?!? What does "arrive" mean in the UK? In my mind, "arrive" means that the cars are in the dealers' hands waiting for pickup by customers.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Randy Chase said:

I can tell you I have been told OFTEN that the production lines were going to ramp up and that it was going to start pretty slowly. I think one thing I have been slowly learning, is that I should stop and try to understand what that means. Now I think I know.
From my naiive perspective I actually can see a logic for it. Hethel/Norfolk area is heavily industrial and has had some really rough times with economy/employment in the past. If I were running a shop there, the last thing I'd want to do is hire a (proportionally) large volume of people to meet pent up demand and then lay them off when the demand is met. It'd be PR disaster in my home court.

·
Registered
637 Posts
babak said:
From my naiive perspective I actually can see a logic for it. Hethel/Norfolk area is heavily industrial and has had some really rough times with economy/employment in the past. If I were running a shop there, the last thing I'd want to do is hire a (proportionally) large volume of people to meet pent up demand and then lay them off when the demand is met. It'd be PR disaster in my home court.
Norfolk is farming country. Lotus is one rather stand-out exception..

Craigy (ooaarr, oi've gaat a sportscaaaar)

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Craigy said:

Thanks, I stand corrected. I was under the impression that the economic downturn had been rough on the region. ergo....

·
Registered
637 Posts
babak said:
Thanks, I stand corrected. I was under the impression that the economic downturn had been rough on the region. ergo....
It's never been a rich area as far as I know. There's not much money to be made farming in the UK, so Norfolk's pretty deprived.

Craigy

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Craigy said:

So let me get this straight...I am buying a car hand built by farmers;)

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Yes, they are farmers! They are growing a limited number of juicy fruits for a particular pallette!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts