The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have seen it. I remember when it was first announced. You probably have never seen it because there was no plan for it to come to the USA and as I understand it that it never will.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Yes. A good car, different motor. Quite nice.

But not coming to the USA.

I have had the pleasure of being in them in England including a nice blat about the countryside with a Lotus product engineer.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Although it may end up coming to the US as a Dodge electric vehicle...

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i expect the europa to be phased out now that the evora is available - it was never well-received by the market, although this race-prepped europa is quite beguiling, i think...

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Being serious it’s not in the US, but its been in a few magazines and a few pics have been here in LT.

The car didn’t sell to well in Europe and that also doesn't help it’s popularity much.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i like the look but the article said 5.5 (maybe 5.7) for 0-60 and top speed of 14_?

well thank you for the info. sorry to make a new thread

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
No worries about a new thread. It has good torque and with some mods is pretty fast. I met a guy in the UK who was quite proud of his and the power he had with it.

It is more targeted to the cruiser market, and as noted, the Evora really takes that over.

And yes, the new Dodge is based on this, so we may see it here as an electric. If so, I might be tempted. I think the car in person is very good looking.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i really like the looks of the car. well at least from the outside.

Randy,

how do you think the evora compares?

I like the look of this one better than the evora, but performace and overall which do you like?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...the europa is a compromise vehicle - all the raw performance of the 111 platform softened to serve as a GT car, and all the opulent smoothness of a GT car shoehorned into a harsh 111 chassis...it's certainly rare, although many find its styling banal by contemporary lotus standards, a touch too much like any-other-sports-coupe...

...the evora, conversely, was designed from the ground up as a GT car, and it really shows when you experience one in person...i don't doubt that the europa is a unique ownership experience, but i also don't think it's capable of coming across as elegantly-composed as the evora's comprehensive design solution...certainly the evora will outperform the europa, and it will also outfunction the europa at both cars' intended role - about the only way the europa comes out on top is as a scarce specimen: a factory elise made posh...

·
Registered
355 Posts
A Dodge-badged Europa (same as the OP's picture) was displayed at the LA auto show last year & also appeared at Cars &
Coffee around that time. I have a 1:18 die cast model :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I like the look of the Europa (particularly the SE variant in white) - this thread - http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f120/stunning-lotus-europa-s-photo-shoot-74952/ - has some great photos of one in Australia :)

thats my car
lotus only ever intended to produce 500 of these
I guess if it sold really well they might have changed their mind on that
The issue with it for most people is the price, I can only compare australian prices but the ratio should be the same wherever
A base model elise costs $70k. A Europa S (which was the only model originally) costs $110k

thats a lot more to pay, might as well get an elise

I bought mine secondhand, it was the press demonstrator for Australia

As for the softness/cruiser bit, lotus tried to push that message and failed. The cabins the same, sure it has some extra leather, better seats as standard but the leather is an afterthought and the size of everything is the same, mine still has the plastic uncovered dashboard
The chassis, suspension and brakes are the same as an elise

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
The thread asked "why have I not seen this Lotus". The OP lists home as Idaho. I cant imagine too many people in Idaho talking about the non- US Europa. There's nothing potato-ie about it. Okay my humor is a little off today. no offense OP. question...

I know most people believe they haven't even seen an Elise in the US. I work with guys that claim the same yet I have been with them as they drive by Lotuses all the time and they don't notice. If you're not interested or looking for the cars or the information yes you won't know about it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The Europa as far I understand can not be shipped to the US....which sucks because it a slick looking car. Performance as 'stock' isnt that great,(compared to the Elise and Exige) but nice look!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts