The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to what changes to the Elise make the '06 worth roughly $4K more than an '05?

I know '05 generally (depending on VIN and production date) had 2 oil coolers instead of one....but what other major differences were there?

I'm looking to buy as soon as I can find an Elise near me in good shape....just trying to determine if I should only be looking at '06 and newer.

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
A lot fewer 06s than 05s. 06 had drive by wire, LED lights, probax seats and a few other differences.

·
Registered
581 Posts
1 year
LED tail lights
Drive by wire
Proback seats
??

·
Registered
310 Posts
2005 has bulb tail lights. the 2006 has LED. 2005 has a lesser quality seat. the 2006 seats are improved. I read somewhere that the pedals on the 2005 were machined aluminum and that in 2006 they switched to a lighter (though now steel set). Also the clutch is different from 2005 to 2006. the 2005 are cable operated.

All that said- the differences are pretty minor. I have driven both and found that the LED tail lights and ever so slightly better feeling seats are my preference... But in the end I bought a 2005 based on the right car, right time, right price model. Sometimes a car chooses you!:cool:

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
discussed ad nauseum elseware. I think we had the exact thread a month ago. The condition of the car is much more important than if it is an 05/06. The difference between the two is negligable. I do love the 05 pedals though.

Hint: search sucks on this site search lotustalk from google

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks aschen....I searched before I posted using the site search engine and it didn't pull anything....but it's entirely possible that my search-fu sucks.

Thanks for the tip on google....I should have thought of that first.

As for the drive by wire.....is it actually electronic steering? I'd guess without power steering, it's probably not steering related....but I'm guessing. Maybe it's steering feel emulators?? Or is it simply an electronic throttle control instead of cable throttle system? The reason I ask is I'm an old fashioned, keep it simple stupid, ex-aerospace engineer. I actually prefer throttle cables, oddly enough.

I guess I like the Elise because it's simplicity sorta reminds me of the rockbuggy I built from scratch....

·
Registered
760 Posts
Stupid question, but where are you getting the blue book value from? For as long as I remember, KBB never has any value data on our cars. Edmunds, NADA, or some other source?

·
Registered
579 Posts
There are a lot less of them and have some desirable upgrades mentioned above. Also, LSD and Traction control were options. And they offered some new colors.

DBW is electronically controlled throttle, 05s have a cable from the pedal to the throttle body.

IMO, cable > DBW. And the pedals look cooler on the 05.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
6>5

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stupid question, but where are you getting the blue book value from? For as long as I remember, KBB never has any value data on our cars. Edmunds, NADA, or some other source?
KBB.....$28,8XX for an 05 and $32,9XX for an '06.

·
Registered
383 Posts
There is no such thing as drive by wire steering. If you know of a production car with no mechanical connection between steering wheel and wheels, I'd love to know about it.
You may have meant electric power steering assist, which the Elise /Exige doesn't have.

Back to topic: if I'm not mistaken the '06+ Elises have remapped brake pedal travel, eliminating the dead spot at the start of travel.

·
Registered
110 Posts
There is no such thing as drive by wire steering. If you know of a production car with no mechanical connection between steering wheel and wheels, I'd love to know about it.
You may have meant electric power steering assist, which the Elise /Exige doesn't have.

Back to topic: if I'm not mistaken the '06+ Elises have remapped brake pedal travel, eliminating the dead spot at the start of travel.
Incorrect, and here you go... http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/17/nissan-to-offer-steer-by-wire-systems-in-some-infinity-cars/

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
686 Posts
Thanks aschen....I searched before I posted using the site search engine and it didn't pull anything....but it's entirely possible that my search-fu sucks.

Thanks for the tip on google....I should have thought of that first.

As for the drive by wire.....is it actually electronic steering? I'd guess without power steering, it's probably not steering related....but I'm guessing. Maybe it's steering feel emulators?? Or is it simply an electronic throttle control instead of cable throttle system? The reason I ask is I'm an old fashioned, keep it simple stupid, ex-aerospace engineer. I actually prefer throttle cables, oddly enough.

I guess I like the Elise because it's simplicity sorta reminds me of the rockbuggy I built from scratch....

I think you answered yourself here. That you should just buy an 05. The pedals are extruded aluminum pedals as the one designer had intended most of the car to be. I'm not at all sure why they switched to different pedals for the 06, maybe someone more knowledgeable can comment on that? Regardless the reasons why buying an 05 over and 06 in my mind are:

Cheaper 4-5k cheaper as you stated via KBB and just in general people seem to ask more for newer models cause, less miles and such.

The gas pedal is a good ol' fashioned wire pedal system, not fly by wire which the cons seem to outweigh the pros in my mind, but I'm sure most wouldn't know a difference (myself included) in two cars that both had properly working systems.

As cool as LED taillights are, they are bloody expensive, and could just buy 15$ led bulbs to put into your 05s sockets and not have to worry about replacing a whole unit, as I understand they are a series of wired leds (probably offers better visibility).

The probax seats, well I find the 05 seats comfortable for rides under four hours or so and the lumbar is fun to play with. Probably need to test both out if you really care about this sort of thing, anyone buying this car for seat comfort or who remotely cares about that thing should probably move on IMO.

So conclusion:
05 is cheaper and probably easier to fix. I'm sure the fit and finish as well as general quality gets better and better all the way up to the 2012 models they are making now. So perhaps you will get better fit and finish, things like the pedal change maybe happened for a very good reason. Just buy the best one that matches what color and such you want, and don't look back :shift:

*EDIT*
OOPS I hate the damn terms they use for this stuff, "drive by wire".. Both cars are driven by a wire, one is electronic, and one is a cable with pulleys and such. I prefer the one I don't need a computer to fix / adjust.

Also about the drive by wire steering thing. Just go to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_by_wire seems to be fairly accurate.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

That buggy in the picture.....has no mechanical connection between the steering wheel and wheels and it has the BEST steering of any vehicle I own. ;) I know you said "production car" though.

I think there are some production cars in Europe that use steer by wire....but they are relatively rare (the Mog may use it IIRC too). Here's an article on Nissan toying with it for production cars. Nissan previews production steer-by-wire system

And you sorta touched on what I was getting at. The Elise doesn't have power steering which I already knew....but I didn't know if they had an electronic steering feel emulator on the car in a separate subsystem. I doubted it (if you'll re-read my post)....but "drive by wire" covers more than just the throttle.

Thanks for the input.

Sean

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think you answered yourself here. That you should just buy an 05. The pedals are extruded aluminum pedals as the one designer had intended most of the car to be. I'm not at all sure why they switched to different pedals for the 06, maybe someone more knowledgeable can comment on that? Regardless the reasons why buying an 05 over and 06 in my mind are:

Cheaper 4-5k cheaper as you stated via KBB and just in general people seem to ask more for newer models cause, less miles and such.

The gas pedal is a good ol' fashioned wire pedal system, not fly by wire which the cons seem to outweigh the pros in my mind, but I'm sure most wouldn't know a difference (myself included) in two cars that both had properly working systems.

As cool as LED taillights are, they are bloody expensive, and could just buy 15$ led bulbs to put into your 05s sockets and not have to worry about replacing a whole unit, as I understand they are a series of wired leds (probably offers better visibility).

The probax seats, well I find the 05 seats comfortable for rides under four hours or so and the lumbar is fun to play with. Probably need to test both out if you really care about this sort of thing, anyone buying this car for seat comfort or who remotely cares about that thing should probably move on IMO.

So conclusion:
05 is cheaper and probably easier to fix. I'm sure the fit and finish as well as general quality gets better and better all the way up to the 2012 models they are making now. So perhaps you will get better fit and finish, things like the pedal change maybe happened for a very good reason. Just buy the best one that matches what color and such you want, and don't look back :shift:

*EDIT*
OOPS I hate the damn terms they use for this stuff, "drive by wire".. Both cars are driven by a wire, one is electronic, and one is a cable with pulleys and such. I prefer the one I don't need a computer to fix / adjust.

Also about the drive by wire steering thing. Just go to wikipedia Drive by wire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia seems to be fairly accurate.

Ya, I guess it really doesn't matter as long as it's the color I want in the price and mileage range I'm looking for.

Thanks for the help. I just didn't know if there were any significant changes that would warrant the extra expense.

Sean

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
sean, if you built that buggy from scratch, maintaing an elise will be a walk in the park.

Just find one with nice body in good running condition and youll be good to go.

To me the differences between model year is negligable. I dont even thing the probax seets are much better than the 05s. See signature I have had both.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Also I wouldent worry about milage that much. I have seen many beat up low miles cars and pristine higher milage cars.

15k miles on a track is alot 40k miles of commuting is not.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts