The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Why is Brawn GP so dominant in F1?

7K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  ms355 
#1 ·
4 races won....

Is it the cars? diffuser design?
Drivers?

In the Spain GP, Massa and Hamilton seemed crippled.

#3 ·
while everyone else was busy trying to get point last year - brawn used the season to develope the new car/regulations and gave up on that season.

#4 ·
i think hamilton is now learning what it "was" like to be jenson :)

#10 ·
no,
I would say that the Braun cars are the best package out there(right now), and that the Braun team has their $hit together.

Ferrari has made some really foolish tactical errors in the qualifying sessions, and even last race with massas' fueling.

to me, i think all the drivers are really good, its the cars/teams that make the difference. I know when my DB-1 was first made in 1984, if you were not in that car, you were not going to win in FF.

the car can make average drivers really good, and can also make really good drivers, not very competitive if the car is "bad".

Braun is winning for a reason............Mr. Braun

the one guy who impresses me the most is Vettel. he seems to be fast in whatever car/team he is with so far.

#12 ·
Pretty simple - their car is better than everyone elses. Driver comparisons are really only meaningful on a team level, and even then, with different race strategies, it doesn't mean much. I think you could put any of the current drivers in the Brawn and they could win races. Not only does the Brawn have superior aero, but it is also very easy on the tires (as evidenced by the graining you could see on almost every other car last weekend). It also doesn't hurt that Ferrari has no clue about race/quali strategy.

#13 ·
The exciting thing is that next year, with the refueling ban, qualifying will return to low fuel bonzai attempts with everyone running comparable fuel levels. Then, we'll be able to compare drivers within the team!

#19 ·
Agreed -

However, if (as reported) there are two new US teams for next year F1 may be forced back to North America. I'd be happy just to get Canada back.

#21 ·
I saw three USGPs at Indy. The track is squirrelly but its just so wicked to see and hear a proper race car in person.

Well with two "North American" Teams slated to join F1 in the next few years we might see a street course here. Las Vegas or New York.

Things are changing...it could happen.
I would like to see them come back to the USA and run at Miller Motorsports Park.

#30 ·
At this past weekend's Spanish Grand Prix, the Brawn cars didn't just beat McLaren – they lapped them. With both teams running the same Mercedes engines, and reigning champion Lewis Hamilton piloting the lapped McLaren, it was clear that Brawn is simply running a better car. Anyone watching the race had to be wondering what the corporate big-wigs at Mercedes were thinking as the Brawn cars crossed the finish line a full lap ahead of the McLaren. But we can stop wondering now.

According to the latest reports, Mercedes is considering throwing more weight behind the championship-leading Brawn team. Or at least jumping on the bandwagon. The customer engine deal between the German automaker and the former Honda team doesn't include any branding on the BGP 001 chassis' livery – which remains conspicuously light on sponsorship altogether – but that could change as Mercedes is keen to cash in on the success of the team to which it's selling engines. Benz motorsport chief Norbert Haug was quick to emphasize that any rapprochement to Brawn GP doesn't reflect on its relationship with McLaren, but with that partnership constantly in jeopardy, you can't help but wonder now if Mercedes would be saying the same if McLaren was leading and Brawn was marking the back.

[Source: F1-Live | Image: Paul Crock/AFP/Getty]

#34 ·
...Anyone watching the race had to be wondering what the corporate big-wigs at Mercedes were thinking as the Brawn cars crossed the finish line a full lap ahead of the McLaren. But we can stop wondering now.

According to the latest reports, Mercedes is considering throwing more weight behind the championship-leading Brawn team. Or at least jumping on the bandwagon. The customer engine deal between the German automaker and the former Honda team doesn't include any branding on the BGP 001 chassis' livery – which remains conspicuously light on sponsorship altogether – but that could change as Mercedes is keen to cash in on the success of the team to which it's selling engines. Benz motorsport chief Norbert Haug was quick to emphasize that any rapprochement to Brawn GP doesn't reflect on its relationship with McLaren, but with that partnership constantly in jeopardy, you can't help but wonder now if Mercedes would be saying the same if McLaren was leading and Brawn was marking the back.
I did notice during the Spanish GP that the Brawn car was constantly referred to as the "Brawn Mercedes." In the previous races they guys referred to it as the "Brawn GP" car. As Brawn continues to dominate this season (and they will), I'd look for more and more Mercedes tie-ins.

As for drivers, I'll still pat Felipe Massa on the back. Despite some very poor team strategy, he managed to get his Ferrari up to fourth. Hearing him ask his pit "Well, what am I supposed to do?" when they were telling him with a few laps to go to conserve fuel as Alonso breathed down his neck was sad. That guy is a driver. :up:

Tom

#31 ·
Hasn't L Ham had everything handed to him?? (Sort of like Joey Logano).

Yes Hamilton has won but he always had the best equipment and personnel!! Why are we all so sure that there arent plenty of other drivers that could have done just as well. Namely Vettel.

And dont overlook Ham's several bizarro errors last season - we tend to glance over or forget these, bc... well... he's Lewis Hamilton.

I dont mind that he's arrogant - that stuff is to be expected, but, lets put him and Vettel in a tight spec car like an SRF or FF for 30 laps and see how wins. Enuff with this Kers nonsense and changing grooved/slick tires.

Just laffin my ass off that last year, we were told by all the "experts" how amazing and gifted L Ham is, and here several months later, he's become undone by a diffuser: As Bart Simpson once said, "the ironing is delicious"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.