The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I continue looking for an Elise I have noticed that on some Elise's the L-O-T-U-S badging that spans the rear panel between the tail lights is sometimes missing. Also, sometimes there is the small traditional circular Lotus badge in place of the lettering. These variations are on cars of the same model year too.

At first I thought this meant the clamshell had been replace because of damage but the missing lettering is also on cars with no accident history.

Is this due to some kind of option specified at purchase maybe, or do people simply remove the lettering for some reason ?

Thanx in advance for any info

Jeff

·
He's on fire!
3,255 Posts
i only know of it being removed for the usual suspects - repaint, clam damage. I could be wrong though

Reactions: Harix

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Some people just like a clean look. I tend to de-badge my other cars from all the stupid logos and trademarks manufactures and dealers stick on there. Does my F150 really need a big 8" decal stating it's "4x4" on the bed... WTH.

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
I removed the lettering and replaced it with the Lotus roundel early on. There is a roundel specifically contoured to fit this concave area.

The Lotus letters are pretty cheap, and it seemed that sometimes, on street, drivers would get up close to try to read the lettering?

That roundel history goes way back, bears Colin’s initials. To my eyes, it just looks more proper.

Reactions: rb26dett

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
I removed the lettering and replaced it with the Lotus roundel early on. There is a roundel specifically contoured to fit this concave area.

The Lotus letters are pretty cheap, and it seemed that sometimes, on street, drivers would get up close to try to read the lettering?

That roundel history goes way back, bears Colin’s initials. To my eyes, it just looks more proper.
^^^This^^^

On at least the 05's, the lettering was just foil, barely more robust than bare metal foil you would use in hobby work.

On my 3 05's, replaced with the roundels right away, using the green/yellow on my black, and then the black roundels on my yellow and red Elises

My 07 Exige S had the raised chrome letters. They looked really good on the Canyon Red and I left them as was.

Reactions: XHILR8N!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, that's good information- thanks much.
Guess I won't worry when I see this.

Actually, I think I agree that the roundel looks nice and maybe prefer it to the letters.

Got to get a car first......

·
Registered
185 Posts
For the 2007 model year Lotus several minor changes were made. The LOTUS decals on the rear of the vehicle, previously flat stickers, were replaced by raised lettering. The headlamp units were sealed. Also, in order to comply with US Federally mandated bumper restrictions, the frontal crash structure was slightly changed and rear bumperettes were added next to the licence plate mount.

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
I replaced my letters with the roundel also. It’s basically a matter of preference. Nothing wrong with my rear clam.

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Also, in order to comply with US Federally mandated bumper restrictions, the frontal crash structure was slightly changed and rear bumperettes were added next to the licence plate mount.
This last bit is mid 07[I assume calendar year 07] as my 07 Exige S has no bumperettes, and many do not

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Why guys would want to de-badge a Lotus is beyond me, people are just going to ask even MORE questions about what it is, and if it's a kit car. Counter-intuitive really, especially when it's an elegant design. I do like the center roundel though, looks very clean, and elegant as well.

Personally, I prefer the reflective stickers, as they show up well with photography. The raised letters always looked terrible to me, chunky on an elegant surface? So "Mustang" and American.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
752 Posts
When I got it, mine had a repainted rear fascia so had no letters, which was fine, as the stock letters on an '05 are silver foil and nearly invisible on a yellow car anyway. I don't like the anonymity of nothing on the back of the car because I do get a lot of questions about what it is, etc. I'm getting a set of black letters from @InfernoLotus. I like the look of the badge on a dark car, but on a yellow car, the letters stand out better than the yellow badge. Yes, I know there are black badges, but the Jim Clark memorial aspect of the black badge on a car built 30+ years after his death seems a little odd to me.

Besides I grew up used to Europas having the letters.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
I replaced my 05 foil stickers with raised chrome letters. I like the look of the letters over the emblems. I think the letters just give it a different look vs alot of other cars where it's always an emblem. And our cars are definitely different. Debating now if I want to get black letters as it will probably fit with the color flow alot better. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
One of the best things about our cars is how customizable they are. And just plain individualistic before we even start changing them.

Hopefully they can tell it’s a Lotus by how she moves.

3EC99AA5-9BFA-49CC-A78C-6EE1CA5A8D9D.jpeg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts