The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked the valve clearance in a 2005 Elise between the shim and the rocker. Exhaust valves were between .41mm and .45mm with the spec being .34 to .45mm. so that is all good. The intakes from 1 to 4 were .12 & .13, .07 & .07, .14 & .13, .14 & .10 with the spec being .15 to .25mm. Any explaination why they are that tight? And where can I get the tool 09248-77010-01 that lets you change the shims? The manufacturer said it's backordered until next March. Is there an aftermarket tool that would work?

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I have that shim tool, it doesn't work that great. It's easier to remove the cam.
Is the intake cam showing signs of wear ?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean it's easier to remove the cam? First you have to remove the front cover, so you have to remove the crank pulley, then you have to remove the timing chain so you have to remove the tensioner, etc. I just HAD the freakin head off so I guess I shoulda measured beforehand. You want to sell me the tool that doesn't work that great?

·
Registered
846 Posts
What do you mean it's easier to remove the cam? First you have to remove the front cover, so you have to remove the crank pulley, then you have to remove the timing chain so you have to remove the tensioner, etc. I just HAD the freakin head off so I guess I shoulda measured beforehand. You want to sell me the tool that doesn't work that great?
Nope, no need to pull the front cover. Read up...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't see any specific instructions but are you saying if I remove the chain tensioner I can create enough slack in the chain so the intake cam and sprocket can be removed?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for that link. Got the intake shims out now, but my mic is too wide to fit down into the bucket to measure the thickness. Does anyone make an adaptor tip to use with a mic that would fit or do I need to buy another mic?

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
We don't use the factory service tool for changing shims- really easy to pull the cams. No need to touch the front cover to do the job.

I used to use a turned down micrometer to measure shims but found it's faster and easier to use a standard micrometer or calipers and just put a small ball bearing inside the shim. Measure over the ball bearing then just subtract the diameter of the ball. Be careful, some shims have a small dimple inside so make sure the ball isn't sitting in the dimple.

BTW if you're seeing tight clearance on the intake side and your car has seen a lot of high rpm use (road race) then you may be seeing valves that have taken a beating and are approaching failure. Makes a heck of a mess if one lets go. There is unfortunately no way to inspect the valves and predict a failure. If it's just got a lot of easy miles then it may just be valve seat wear that is responsible for the clearance change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts