The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLEASE, why "Lotus" original name?

I know Chapman letters "ACBC". But why "Lotus" name?

It is very simple for fans. I fins this info.

THANKS!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the only person who know's the meaning of "Lotus" and the truth behind the name is Hazel Chapman.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
PLEASE, why "Lotus" original name?

I know Chapman letters "ACBC". But why "Lotus" name?

It is very simple for fans. I fins this info.

THANKS!
There are a lot of rumors as to why but no one really knows other than Chapman's wife Hazel which she's not telling and "possibly" Chapman's son Clive.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Jabby Crombac told me where it came from but I promised not to divulge it until Mrs Chapman divulges it first.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
There are a lot of rumors as to why but no one really knows other than Chapman's wife Hazel which she's not telling and "possibly" Chapman's son Clive.

The most quotes of these is that it cam from Lotus U/S for Lot unsold. Chapman was doing a brisk trade in used cars while a student and when rationing stopped in post was Britain the bottom fell out of the market and he was stuck with a number of derelict cars. The last one which did not sell was an Austin 7 which was eventually transformed into a trials car now known as the first Lotus.

The story is true, but the Lot Unsold as origin of the name Lotus is not.

Other speculations were that is was common for specials makers to name their cars after flowers and that Chapman was following the custom.

And there was rampant speculation that it had something to do with sex. Chapman apparently liked the rumors surrounding that origin so he did nothing to dispel the rumors, but it too is untrue.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Along with the previously mentioned stories I've heard one more. That Chapman's first bicycle was gold and he called that Lotus.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
While we are at it, why are the names of so many great racing locations/things (LeMans, Sebring, Daytona) attached to so many horrific cars?

·
Registered
879 Posts
While we are at it, why are the names of so many great racing locations/things (LeMans, Sebring, Daytona) attached to so many horrific cars?
Pontiac is the most egregious offender in this class, naming many of their cars after competitions in which Pontiac had NEVER participated at the time of naming (LeMans, Grand Prix, Grand Am, etc...). :huh:
But then Pontiac has always been the marque of ignorant white trash, so it figures.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Crapy cars need a boost in prestige. A Ferrari Daytona would be wonderful if it had been called the 1234.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The real answer is known by a small number of people, including Colin Chapman's(founder of Lotus) widow Hazel, but no one is telling. Of course, this does not stop people from speculating. Here are some theories from Mike Causer:
a. Lotus fruit - the Oxford Concise says "fruit represented in ancient Greek legend as inducing luxurious dreaminess and distaste for active life". Working on the car certainly had the same effect.
b. Lotus flower - a different plant to the above, used symbolically in Hinduism and Buddhism. Nice name if you're going to chose one without a specific connection to what you're doing.
c. The reverse of "Us lot", apparently a favorite phrase of Colin Chapman's.
There is some suggestion that Hazel Chapman actually came up with the name Lotus.

One time after a night of drinking, someone asked Chapman why he named his cars lotus, He said he was interested in Asian Philosophy when he was in college and knew Lotus flower is a symbol for Nirvana in Buddhism. (A statue of Buddha usually sits on a Lotus flower.)

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Crapy cars need a boost in prestige. A Ferrari Daytona would be wonderful if it had been called the 1234.
The way I understand, it was never named "Daytona" and Enzo hated people calling it that.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
what about the "lot unsold" theory?

The real answer is known by a small number of people, including Colin Chapman's(founder of Lotus) widow Hazel, but no one is telling. Of course, this does not stop people from speculating. Here are some theories from Mike Causer:
a. Lotus fruit - the Oxford Concise says "fruit represented in ancient Greek legend as inducing luxurious dreaminess and distaste for active life". Working on the car certainly had the same effect.
b. Lotus flower - a different plant to the above, used symbolically in Hinduism and Buddhism. Nice name if you're going to chose one without a specific connection to what you're doing.
c. The reverse of "Us lot", apparently a favorite phrase of Colin Chapman's.
There is some suggestion that Hazel Chapman actually came up with the name Lotus.

One time after a night of drinking, someone asked Chapman why he named his cars lotus, He said he was interested in Asian Philosophy when he was in college and knew Lotus flower is a symbol for Nirvana in Buddhism. (A statue of Buddha usually sits on a Lotus flower.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you very much to those who know the subject and you felt, or perhaps add an opinion later. I'm the dude who opened the topic of this question, and I appreciate your kindness to share his knowledge with everyone.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Colin Chapman named Lotus after his wife's nickname "Lotus blossom" or something like that.. I think I read that somewhere..

By the way my two favorite acronyms for LOTUS are:

Lots of Trouble Usually Serious
Light On The Useless Stuff

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,619 Posts
Leave
Off
The
Unnecessary
Stuff