The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have owned numerous porsche's and BMW's in the past and have gone to a few driving schools. I want to get a car now that I can take to some driving schools and not spend close to 80,000 to 100,000 for. So for people who have had Porsche's bdfore , Why a Lotus ?

Thanks
Rick

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
I'll start.

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi,

I have owned numerous porsche's and BMW's in the past and have gone to a few driving schools. I want to get a car now that I can take to some driving schools and not spend close to 80,000 to 100,000 for. So for people who have had Porsche's bdfore , Why a Lotus ?

Thanks
Rick
And to think some of us have owned a Porsche and a Lotus at the same time. Doesn't that just blow your mind. Totally different cars.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I traded an 06 Cayman S for my Exige. Why? Because even though the Cayman was a wonderful car, it just didn't feel that special to me. In a world where all cars seem to be getting increasingly large, heavy, and homogeneous, the Lotus is completely unlike anything else out there.

I still own two Porsches, a 944S2 daily driver and a highly tweaked 944 track car. I love them both, but the Lotus seems to scratch an itch that no other car can.

Terry

·
Registered
6,981 Posts

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I had a Porsche Boxster (987) before my Elise and I loved that car, but it compromises performance for comfort, convenience and luxury. And don't get me wrong, the car does everything very well, but the Lotus compromises almost nothing in the name of performance.

That's the difference you'll find between a Porsche and a Lotus. Not saying one is better than the other.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
And to think some of us have owned a Porsche and a Lotus at the same time. Doesn't that just blow your mind. Totally different cars.
I've had my Elise three years next month. When I got it I had an RS America and a 914 GT bare metal conversion with an Andial 3.4. Both are gone now; I just lost interest in them after driving the Lotus. Light, basic, and the most amazing steering ever. I've ordered another one. :D

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've owned multiple Porsche's. They are great cars but serve a different purpose. The Lotus is all about light weight and performance. The engineering behind these cars is simply amazing.

Porsche is marketing their cars to a different kind of enthusiast. They want a car that handles well, is fast, and is comfortable all at the same time. The problem with this theroy is their cars simply have no feel to them anymore. The steering is overboosted, and the brake feel is lousy. But,if you want to know what temperature it is outside, climate control inside, and 12 way power adjustable seats, Porsche is the car for you.

The older Porsche's, now that is a different story. Those cars can be a hoot to drive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts