The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needing to rant. please excuse me for the moment.

AAaAAAAAAARRRGGGG! I'm in the process of rebuilding my fiat (Wedgie) motor, and I happened to break an oil ring. So tuesday I spent all day calling every shop in so cal, and driving around town, trying to replace the rings. Finally I found a place who would make them and they'd be ready friday for $65. So I'm like, "Fine." I just wanted them by the weekend so I could work on the motor today.

So I spent three hours in traffic trying to get to this place in LA so I could pick up the rings. I brought a piston and rings with me so I could check the size. Upon visual inspection, its impossible to tell if the rings have the right gap, but they looked right. They also fit the piston right. So I took them back.

Today, as I pay attention to detail, I make sure the piston ring gap is within spec by fitting the ring into the bore. Well, ITS NOT. It's too big by ten thousands of an inch. The oil rings are even worse, by a lot. So I am, yet again, left with a incomplete engine, no rings, and out $65.

I hope these guys take care of it. The rings were made special order, so its not like if I give them back they'll be used. It all comes down to a fiat mechanic who measured them out for me and OBVIOUSLY measured it wrong. So I have to run back to LA, in traffic, and get this thing resolved monday.

I want to cry! I'm mad at myself for breaking the stupid ring in the first place, and I'm upset that I have such a unique car that I have to put everything on hold trying to find parts.

OK. Ranting over! What should I do? The guy I bought them from is pretty reasonable, so hopefully I'll get the money back OR the right rings. The time and money I spend on this stupid project is disheartening.

AND WHERE'S MY ELISE? Sorry, needed to complain about that too!

I am one sad MW right now. needing a pick me up, or a drink :)

P.S. Randy, we need a bitch and moan section on this board! A specific place to bitch about life's troubles would be nice.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Oh my, sorry Lillie. I hate driving in LA as well. The guy should mail new ones to you as a matter of convenience.

Somebody buy this gal a drink tonight! I'm unable to at the moment!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Sorry Lillie, we feel your pain ! I'd buy you a drink but I'm cooking dinner right now, plus I'm about 75 miles away. :mad:

See you next week though ! I agree w/ Vantage, they should FED EX you the replacement ring.

Take Care alright ?

P.S. reading your stuff makes me realize that you're going to really come in handy later 'cuz you know a whole lot more about engines & like that than I do ! :p

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
It's going to feel good having that 3 year warranty on the new toy. MW, at least take solice in knowing that every "do it yourselfer" has had days like yours and worse. Oddly its part of the reward process to finaly getting it done right and working perfectly.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1FASTMX5 said:
It's going to feel good having that 3 year warranty on the new toy. MW, at least take solice in knowing that every "do it yourselfer" has had days like yours and worse. Oddly its part of the reward process to finaly getting it done right and working perfectly.
I suppose you are right, but for now it f*n sucks!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Lillie, the rings are often made a little larger to compensate for a few factors such as total pounds of drag you want each piston to experience, etc. (Measurement of friction.)

You'll want a sanding wheel and sand-down the open ends of the piston ring to get the exact fit you want. Then (if you're so inclined) you can use turn the block upside down (after you've fit the piston rings and oil control rings) and attach a fish scale to the connecting rod and pull. Theoretically, each piston/con-rod combo should require the same amount of force to move. This is how you can determine that the drag on the pistons is equal for all cylinders.

Hope that helps. Don't despair... there's almost nothing that at good Dremel can't fix... :p (Seriously: find a bench grinder/sander with the sanding wheel to size the piston rings. It's much easier and less prone to making mistakes.)

Bob

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Oh man sorry about a rotten day Lil. Hope the next set of rings fit.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Lillie, I forgot to mention: When you size your rings and install them on the piston, make sure the gap (opening for the piston ring) does NOT line-up with the gap on the oil control ring. Gaps on all rings should be offset to maximize the sealing of the rings against the cylinder wall.

Bob

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ummm, the rings were sized for a bore smaller than mine. That is...the gaps are too big! Hence, no amount of sanding will make the gaps smaller ;)

Therefore, I need new rings!

As for the offsets of the rings, it was one of the first things I learned in Auto Shop 101! I much appreciate the advice though. It's been 6 years since I built my last motor, and I admit I am a bit rusty, including forgetting how fragile the rings really are!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
P.S. Randy, we need a bitch and moan section on this board! A specific place to bitch ....
We do have that!

HERE

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Oh how many times I've been there with some goofy off spec. engine!! I was helping a friend rebuild his engine overnight at a race once, an all nighter, and at some ridiculous hour we decided we had the wrong main bearings. What a sinking feeling. Take heart Lillie it can only get better from here.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow James, that had to suck. I know how you feel.

So, I cant get the money back, but the guy gave me a discount on the (hopefully) correct set, which he had in stock all along. It wasnt his fault, it came down to going through that fiat guy here in SD who measured them incorrectly. So I'm out another $50 bucks.

Sigh.

Atleast I completed the firewall inside the engine compartment. :clap: Looks sweet! Took hours of meticulous cutting and fitting. But it looks like progress.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll upload them tonight. Looks stock, and nicely complements the bright ferrari red engine compartment :clap:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Looks great, Lillie! You've done an oustanding job and the Rosso Corsa paint looks fantastic. Glad you were able to find the appropriate rings also! Bummer that you couldn't get a refund though.

I see your inner door panels... and it reminds me of the single most despised thing about my X1/9. I remember I had to re-string the wire around the pulleys in the door for the power windows. That was such a major pain!!! Sorry... I think it's the jealously and the memories of having an X1/9 coming through...

Bob

1 - 20 of 58 Posts