The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monkey wrench is selling these MP62 super chargers for fractions of what a VS or a BOE would run me. I was looking for a little more snort i know the MP62 will not give me the HP that the VS or BOE will but its almost a 1/3 rd the price for 2/3rds the HP?

Will this with a flash and the proper fittings work on my 05 Elise 2ZZ? really want to add a super having a had time stomaching the 7-8K price tag

Lotus Exige, 2-eleven Supercharger - OEM Replacement - LOT-MP62-OEM - Monkeywrench Racing - Celica

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I sort of think there are some pieces missing on the SC you are listing for 1/3 the cost.

Now that you have the SC, you need a manifold, injectors, ecu tune, brackets, belts.

If you spend the $1800 on this, you will only slow the car down and it will set in your trunk, adding weight.

I think you will find a complete MP62 kit will run 2/3 of the cost of the BOE setup, giving you 2/3 the performance.

The big different is at 2/3 the performance, you are at 100% of the capacity of the SC.

If that level of performance works for you, you win!.
It not a bad setup, just a more limited setup.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I know there are a few components that will add to the $1800 price tag figured ill need 1000-$1500 additional including the ECU re flash.

does anyone know what the kind of HP i could expect putting a MP62 on a 05 Elise. or why this would be a no go?

Is a Vision Function really just a aftermarket MP62 with intercooler?

I know its going to be a bit more power limited i think i could live with it for the cost savings depending what the HP gains actually are?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
IMO, the mp62 is the best choice if you're budget conscious. Sure, the TVS is better, but in order to really utilize it at higher power levels, you need to also start upgrading engine/transmission internals. While the mp62 can be pretty much tapped out on our engines, the other components on the car are near their limits as well.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
IMO, the mp62 is the best choice if you're budget conscious. Sure, the TVS is better, but in order to really utilize it at higher power levels, you need to also start upgrading engine/transmission internals. While the mp62 can be pretty much tapped out on our engines, the other components on the car are near their limits as well.
Good advice! I also think a newer Elise driver might want to work his/her way up to the higher power level over a few years.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Would you suggest the 62 then, or just waiting?
I think he should just wait. I get the feeling the OP just bought the car and is going mod crazy. I would recommend a little bit of a diet for the car and lots of seat time. Do a few HPDE event and figure out what the car is going to be used for.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,524 Posts
I think he should just wait. I get the feeling the OP just bought the car and is going mod crazy. I would recommend a little bit of a diet for the car and lots of seat time. Do a few HPDE event and figure out what the car is going to be used for.
I mostly agree with this, especially if the only factor between the choice in supercharges is based on available funds. The cycle of upgrades never seems to end and always (for me at least) goes over budget and the more power you have the more frequently parts need replaced. If you have an end goal in mind then design the upgrades around that and try to avoid the stepping stone approach. I completely understand wanting more power now and not later, but can you settle for something in-between for long enough to justify the cost of pats you plan to replace anyway?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I know there are a few components that will add to the $1800 price tag figured ill need 1000-$1500 additional including the ECU re flash.
I want to see what you really have into it by the time you have a running car. I think you underestimated the cost.

BTW, I don't understand the thought behind the title question. Nearly all the 2zz kits as well as the factory Exige cars use the mp62. The TVS is more efficient but there are plenty of cars using the mp62. You used to be able to get a complete base mp62 kit for $4500. An intercooler will increase the cost. I think you'd be better off buying a complete kit.

There are plenty of dyno curves out there for the mp62 installations. Sounds like you've done no research.

If you buy a bare supercharger what are you planning on using for a throttle body intake and an inlet manifold?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
There will always be a faster car on the straights, but I doubt there will ever be a funner car in the corners. A bone stock Elise might be your best best in SCCA Solo or NASA TT. A couple mods and you are playing in a totally different game.

How many miles and performance events have you driven? Do you feel comfortable in the car near it's limits as it is?

The last two HPDE events I did in my stock Elise I was held up by guys in Vettes and high power cars that couldn't figure out how to get around the track. I'm pretty new to it still and not saying i'm that great of a driver.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Good advice! I also think a newer Elise driver might want to work his/her way up to the higher power level over a few years.
I owed my car for just over 3 years and something around 100 track days before I upgraded the motor. Told myself when I bought it I wanted to be at the limit of the car before I bought myself a better lap time. I did everything but power and suspension - basically anything that was consumable, safety or convenience.

Once I'd learned the car then I went for the big power - I did the BOE Rev400 and have 360 wheel HP. And while it's insane it's still completely driveable on the track. The power delivery is smooth and STRONG.

I suppose it all comes down to how you use your car and what you're willing to spend on it. For me I "bought" myself a 5 second faster lap (first day out anyway). I'm now once again no where near the limit of the car so I bought myself a few years to get there and become a better driver. So just know what you're buying and why and I think you're good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts