The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading several threads over the last year regarding owners looking to change the seats in their Elises so that they can use a five or six point harness when they take their Elise for the track. In my 2005 Elise, I'm to the point where I have to hang to the steering wheel to keep me upright in the corners (e.g. starting around minute 2:18 here
) and I lose my feel for the car because I'm holding on to the steering wheel so hard.

There are several who have opted for the high-end carbon fiber models (>$1K ea. seat) and several at the mid end of the spectrum (about $700 ea). I've also read a few threads about those that went with the less expensive Kirkey aluminum seats, but with fabrication costs that seems to bring the costs up with the others. Regardless of the option, the shoulder width and outside cushion/hip width govern the options.

I just discovered online the Sparco TEC seat which seems to be a smaller option than the Sparco Rev Plus....I've only read about the Sparco Rev (apparently no longer available) being used in an Elise not the Rev Plus. But I can't find anybody who has tried the Sparco TEC.

It would seem like the Sparco TEC should work based on the dimensions (all in inches):

Stock TEC Rev +
Shoulder 19 19.3 22.8
Cushion 16.5 19.6 18.6

Anybody seen a TEC on an Elise or tried one? I know it's a discontinued model but it would seem to be a great option for those looking in the $500 range. FYI I got my dimensions from: Sparco Racing Seat (TEC)|Sparco Universal Motorsports Racing Seats|Sparco Racing Products (no business interest here). And FYI I'm looking to replace both seats. For when I have students or instructors in the passenger seat, they have to have the same seat/harness as the driver at the schools I drive.

Your input or observations on the TEC would be most helpful.

Thanks,
Bill in MD

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hrmm, looks a bit too wide IMO, and i found no evidence of one being in an elise searching through google.

I am still using standard seatbelts, and as long as I keep my lower back all the way in the seat I am fine. I am still debating whether to get the 5th point installed on my lotus trim shop seats(exige style), i probably will in time.

some affordable options here to consider

Tillett Racing Seats

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know, that's funny. I plant my back to the point where I have to preset it in the left side or right side of the seat before a turn or else I slide all over the place. It's surprising how half an inch in the upper half of the seat can be a distraction.

I hear the Tillet seats are the best. Thank you for pointing out that there is a distributor (British Racing Group) within a 3 hour drive of DC. But once I figured in the cost for the fabric and seat mounts, $1500 is a bit much for a seat. Alas it might be a Kirkey for me, but I hear they are a bit uncomfortable and not nearly as pretty as the Tillet B5.

Thanks!
Bill in MD

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Kirkey seats can be very comfortable if fitted correctly.

·
Registered
570 Posts
You know, that's funny. I plant my back to the point where I have to preset it in the left side or right side of the seat before a turn or else I slide all over the place. It's surprising how half an inch in the upper half of the seat can be a distraction.

I hear the Tillet seats are the best. Thank you for pointing out that there is a distributor (British Racing Group) within a 3 hour drive of DC. But once I figured in the cost for the fabric and seat mounts, $1500 is a bit much for a seat. Alas it might be a Kirkey for me, but I hear they are a bit uncomfortable and not nearly as pretty as the Tillet B5.

Thanks!
Bill in MD
You can run the 3.5, as long as you have some additional support besides the rails.

Besides that, there are really no similarly priced options. Exige seats with 5th point + harnesses works great.

On the track there is only 1 turn that I consciously notice being detached somewhat from the seat, and being tired + sore exacerbates that, since I cant hold myself in place.

I was told that installing harnesses alone can give you ~1 second faster lap times, and be much less sore. I can barely move my arms after 2-3 30 min sessions.....

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I've actually used a ratchet strap around my chest before to hold me in the seat. Amazing how much better a person can drive when they aren't fighting to stay in the seat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can run the 3.5, as long as you have some additional support besides the rails.
So anybody seen the Tillet 3.5 used in a Lotus? I assume it would mount to the harness bar and the floor?

And for the sake of goodness, can somebody tell me what "Black GRP" is? Is that just another kind of carbon fiber - maybe it doesn't look as sexy as the mesh-looking carbon fiber?

Still can't get the Tillet out of my mind, but with the cost savings I could buy a tig that could be used to modify a set of Kirkey's and buy the aluminum seats.

Bill in MD

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Those tillet seats look nice for the price. Its certainly hard to buy over the internet without sitting on them to see for sure though!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts