The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is some VERY useful battery info. Odyssey, like other AGM batteries are "deep cycle", however obviously some of you are finding that when they are greatly discharged that will not accept a charge, which is contradictory.
The problem seems to be the charger that is being used. If the charger does not see a voltage of around 8 volts it assumes that battery is defective and will not charge. What is needed for this type of battery is a AGM charger that will charge even if the battery voltage has sunk to 1 volt or so. Odyssey makes such a charger called the Ultimizer in either 6 amp or 12 amp versions. There are other manufacturers of charges with AGM modes, such as Black & Decker, but they have to be able to charge when they see a very low battery voltage.
An alternative to try is to jump start the car with the dissipated battery in place, run it for a while and see if the alternator will charge it. If necessary, once it reaches 8 volts or so it can be charged from a regular charger. AGM batteries typically need a slightly higher voltage to charge, 14.7 volts as opposed to a regular charger at 14.2 volts. Many of you may think your battery is "shot", but there is an excellent chance that this in not the case. Hope this helps.
Michael

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
+1 :clap:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
+1 :clap:

·
Registered
558 Posts
I don't get it then. I have an Odyssey 625 which I left without a charge for nearly a month. When I tried to start the car, dead as a doornail. I used a trickle charger to recharge the battery and it worked just fine. Is that contrary to what you indicate?

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't get it then. I have an Odyssey 625 which I left without a charge for nearly a month. When I tried to start the car, dead as a doornail. I used a trickle charger to recharge the battery and it worked just fine. Is that contrary to what you indicate?
We don't know what the battery voltage was. You say it was "dead" but it could have been within this chargers operating threshold, whatever the voltage was, you were lucky. I am just advising that in those instances where the charger won't charge, it is probably because of what I stated above, especially if it is a young battery. I don't want owners feel their battery is "shot" and waste money on a new one.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
What kind of trickle charger do you have? Does it charge regardless of the battery voltage output? Sounds like it does.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts