The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as to not be accused of hijacking anyone's thread, I started this one, but it relates to two other recent threads, one on wheels and one featuring a gorgeous new brown Evora IPS.

Who wouldn't want such a beautiful, exotic, and great-performing car? Well, maybe after reading the thread on sport wheels available, in which several very knowledgeable (and I mean that only in a complimentary way) board members debate the wheel type, size, when it was available, on what car, etc., and don't necessarily arrive at a single conclusion

I think other than fanatics - and there just aren't enough of them (us?) - this kind of thing doesn't make people feel good about the brand. Quirky is one thing (the top on this car may or may not keep the rain out), but the inability of even experts to know what parts came on what car might just be enough to cause someone to pass. And I'm not talking about a car from 60 years ago, but one manufactured just a few years ago. I realize TADTS, but still, imagine a buyer wondering if when they damage a wheel on a pothole, the parts guy says, "Yes, yes, year and model is all very nice, but was your car built by Nigel on Tuesday, or by Henry on Thursday?" That's fine when you spend $30k on a used Elise, but maybe not so much when it's $80k on a new Evora. But man, that car looks great in that color combination!!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Noisy, bumpy, slow acceleration, little to no amenities, fragile, crap dealer network, bad build quality to start. All that is overcome by the handling and feel when you drive it. No other car feels like you might as well be steering the front wheels with your bare hands.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Coz posers will only buy Germans, namely Porsche, BMW, Benz

They just want the crest on he hood

Sent from my GT-I9000M using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
211 Posts
"Noisy, bumpy, slow acceleration, little to no amenities, fragile, crap dealer network, bad build quality to start. All that is overcome by the handling and feel when you drive it. No other car feels like you might as well be steering the front wheels with your bare hands."

+1

·
Registered
320 Posts
The people who like the Evora (Elise owners who get married and have a baby) cant afford it.

People with money dont like it because well its almost too user friendly , too easy to live with, maybe even bordering on boring compared to the faster more exotic stuff available for similar money.

When I hear that Toyota V6 fire up , it doesnt make me feel remotely excited, like say a

400+ HP V8 /V10/V12 does, even with the supercharger it just doesnt make the thing Bad ass enough IMO.

And that name, EVORA it sounds like it should be on a Hyundai.

I dont need or want a practical sportscar thats great for nipping to the supermarket in, I want something with more occasion about it, something that gets the blood flowing without having to drive it 10/10.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Who wouldn't want such a beautiful, exotic, and great-performing car?
It's literally none of those. It is over-priced, under-performing, and heavy for a Lotus. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
144 Posts
From my experience, the American culture just doesn't see the point in these cars. When strangers ask me about the car at gas stations they are more often than not unimpressed. "Just 260 horsepower?" they ask in disbelief. They can get more in a regular sedan.

For many Americans I find that the mentality is that more/bigger is better. Horsepower sells, it's an easy number for people to go off of, even if all that power is hauling around a 2-3 ton car. Plus, I think the small size of the Elise/Exige is regarded as "unmanly." Masculinity is often expressed and portrayed as sheer muscle and body-building; I think that mindset translates in the way people perceive cars.

·
Registered
393 Posts
only a handful of folks will ask weight and HP then play the factoring game. There are too many straight line cars in America, and that influences many folks.... especially the ones that have no clue about automobiles.
Just like having 1000hp, sure you can say you have that and people will be impressed- but those of us that know will ask how useable it is... Americans are impressed with a huge figure or an "I'm better than you" approach. When you take that away from them they become befuddled.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
From my experience, the American culture just doesn't see the point in these cars. When strangers ask me about the car at gas stations they are more often than not unimpressed. "Just 260 horsepower?" they ask in disbelief. They can get more in a regular sedan.

For many Americans I find that the mentality is that more/bigger is better. Horsepower sells, it's an easy number for people to go off of, even if all that power is hauling around a 2-3 ton car. Plus, I think the small size of the Elise/Exige is regarded as "unmanly." Masculinity is often expressed and portrayed as sheer muscle and body-building; I think that mindset translates in the way people perceive cars.
Ill agree to an extent, but the evora is no lightweight either and performance per dollars its a very expensive car.
I believe some people just expect more out of a sportscar in its price range.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Lotus cars by their nature do not cater well to obese Americans so immediately, 40% of the driver pool is eliminated. Second are rednecks that know nothing but numbers (redneck is synonym for NASCAR fan) So that eliminates at least another 30% of them. The Porsche, BMW, Honda, etc communities are inbred as well so that's another 9% of them. 20% are just too poor to consider a sports car That leaves less than ~1% of the driving enthusiasts that will even look at a Lotus. Then there are we, the owners. We're the only ones with a clue.
FIL: $59995, 300HP is VERY easy, if you need numbers 4.8 is no slouch and it CORNERS better than a stock ELISE. I know, I own both! Your car, no matter how much HP, hits an aero wall at a much lower speed than the Evora does, so if its numbers you want, look at topspeed which while not 200, is definitely much better. I've never been able to get my Elise past 140 on a track (indicated 140 which means 130), However i blew thru 130 VERY VERY easily in my Evora and it was still pulling quite nicely. 150+ in the Evora will be a piece of cake whereas its a LIE in an Elise.
Finally you spent more money modding your Elise than i have in a NEW Evora. Just sayin>>> To each his own.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
only a handful of folks will ask weight and HP then play the factoring game. There are too many straight line cars in America, and that influences many folks.... especially the ones that have no clue about automobiles.
Just like having 1000hp, sure you can say you have that and people will be impressed- but those of us that know will ask how useable it is... Americans are impressed with a huge figure or an "I'm better than you" approach. When you take that away from them they become befuddled.
I dont believe this is just an american thing when it comes to cars.
How is the evora selling in germany? how about japan? how about anywhere else?
lets face it, the evora isnt exactly a "hit" and it isnt all due to "stupid american perceptions."

I drove a new evora and a gen 4 viper. they were both abt the same money.
I didnt buy the evora. It just didnt live up to what i thought a sportscar should offer from a car in its price range.
The great handling, feel, and brakes just couldnt compensate for the list of short comings.
I realize this is subjective, but if i feel this way others do too. obviously i am not alone

·
Registered
693 Posts
Each brand has it's sacrifices. Exclutivity has even more. Majority of owners who are car enthusiast have come up the ranks so to speak and have years of knowledge of cars in general without being a wrench turner.

If determining what is OEM and how to plus size wheels or fix common problems is too much for the potential owner, then Lotus is not the car for them.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I would say a few things:

- doesn't have the name panache like Porsche

- They are rare and many 'non-enthusiasts' who buy sports cars may have never seen or heard of one.

- lack of a dealer/service network. I'm fortunate to live 20 miles from FVMC. If I was 3 hours from a dealer, not sure I would have made the purchase.

and one of the biggest reasons...

THEY ARE TINY.

I think we sometimes forgot how small these cars really are. Some people just wont feel comfortable in one and of course that leads to the perception that they are dangerous.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The only reason lotus sells at all is because they are beautiful. But unfortunatly looks are only skin deep with the lotus.

It has a nice 0-60 because of the weight, and it handles well, but it is not what people expect from a supercar, like a v12, and 200+mph

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
If you read the posts in the Evora Forums, you will find plenty of reasons not to buy one.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
The only reason lotus sells at all is because they are beautiful. But unfortunatly looks are only skin deep with the lotus.

It has a nice 0-60 because of the weight, and it handles well, but it is not what people expect from a supercar, like a v12, and 200+mph
But it's not a super car. A used Elise is like $25-30K. That's Honda minivan money, not super car money.

But yes, they are beautiful.

I think a fairer comparison are the cars I looked at:

- Elise
- Boxster
- SLK
- TT
- Z3/Z4

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
If you read the posts in the Evora Forums, you will find plenty of reasons not to buy one.
I agree.

I get the whole 'hand made' or 'enthusiasts' car, etc and think they are beautiful, but....

For a $75K car, I expect it to be flawless and provide hassle free driving joy.

Hell, I'd expect that on a $30K Camry.

I know, I know, you can't compare the most sold mass produced car to a hand built sports car, but trust me, if I spent $75K on a car and experience a lot of crap that I see on the Evora forums, I'd lose my mind.

That being said, the Lambo Diablo is/was considerably more expensive and a buddy of mine who has owned two says they are a biggest pieces of unreliable sh*t on the planet. So, not alone!

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Something important you folks are ignoring - I ran a poll (well a "comment please" poll -) when I came online at LT, asking who would not have bought the Elise if it had only been offered as hardtop only. 50% responded it would have been a deal killer.
When I bought, the first criteria for the car I would eventually buy was that the roof had to come off/down. Same with half the folks here. So cut that Evora number in half again - it's why I won't touch one. Driving around in a "can" of any type or brand, is unacceptable to many here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why people don´t buy a Lotus? Because they don´t dare. I have two Porsches, one Delta Integrale and since two weeks an Esprit V8. My ´91 964 has 184.000 km on the clock and drives like on day one. It´s an exiting car if you drive it hard but if you use it as a daily driver it´s just like a rabbit-far from exiting. The Lancia a ´92 with 30.000 km on the clock is very exiting when you drive it hard and also as a daily driver- because you never know if you will make it to work and back home. I have owned it for almost ten years, gone trough 3 engines but would never want to sell it. You just don´t see them at every corner. Same goes for the Esprit.
The quality very much reminds me of it´s italian stablemate. But whenever I start it up I get very exited because I know that I have something very unique. Even here in Europe a Lotus is considered exotic so people are put off by the fact that sourcing parts can be a bit time consuming.But the cool things in life always require a bit more effort, don´t they?
But I admit that´s easy to say when you have a Porsche as a back up car;-)

1 - 20 of 222 Posts